Sign in to follow this  
TheBistroButcher666

I was accused of saying Melk instead of Milk.

I've had this issue with people many times. Milk is one of those words where people will actually pronounce it differently even if they live in the same exact area. There are many other words with this same problem including Radiator, Orange, Caramel, Chocolate, and many more. English is one odd language...

California accent here!!! I've been told that a least. And yes, english is a very odd language, but it's very useful to know (Someone will know some english practically everywhere).

Don't forget bagel (bagel versus bagel, the former is the only correct way :P) and crayon (crayon versus kran, the latter doesn't even sound right). We get into so many arguments at my college with people that pronounce bagel the second way. Like...where does that even come from? O___o

wait, like begg-el? wut...

and besides, Melk is the way to pronounce it (if you're Dutch at least :P)

wait, like begg-el? wut...

and besides, Melk is the way to pronounce it (if you're Dutch at least :P)

^this...

If someone says Melk, just say it's dutch/flemish :P hahaha...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gn1suv5f2MY/T ... odamap.gif

Here's an interesting map for your soda vs pop argument, I thought it was pretty cool. My Mom is from Texas so she has always said coke and so we pretty much always referred to it as coke. However, we also ONLY drank Coca-cola so it made sense to call it coke. I tend to flip flop and call it soda, pop or coke generally preferring soda and coke. It doesn't really matter because I also don't drink the stuff anyway.

I also say begg-el and krans, haters gonna hate.

I didn't even mean begg-el. I meant BAGel, as in they say BAG and then add 'el' at the end of it. It's a Buffalo thing but it sounds SO ODD. I can deal with begg-el. Not BAGel.

but... but... but... the only way to pronounce it is bay-gull right? (bad in phonetic typing, so I hope you understand what I mean...)

Yeah, that's the way we pronounce it in NYC. Arith's pronouncing is what I think of when French people try to say bagel. BAGel is just so alien to me. @__@

but... but... but... the only way to pronounce it is bay-gull right? (bad in phonetic typing, so I hope you understand what I mean...)

Actually, the way I am pronouncing it is closer to Aion's because when I say Begg-el, I'm saying Begg like Begging or Beggar. Not Beh-gel which I would assume sounds more Frenchy? I'm assuming that's what you mean?

OH GOD.

Sign in to follow this