Sign in to follow this  
futoshi92

Japanese words that you've learned from the songs

Does anyohe here while listening to Japanese music tries to understand the lyrics, what do they say? I know not everyone over there learns Japanese with such a passion like I have, but I'm sure you usually understand what are lyrics saying. Also if you search for the lyrics you definetly understand most of it but not all words so you search for them in dictionary, and later remember them. That's what I'm mostly doing when I listen to for example Dir en Grey, it helps me a lot to expand the vocabulary and get to know with a lot of new Japanese phrases. Here are some examples that I've learned and can remind myself for right now:

溢れる [afureru] - to flow

刃 [yaiba] - blade

痺れる [shibireru] - paralyze

適う [kanau] - to come true

怪しい [ayashii] - suspicious

永遠 [eien] - eternity

Now you give at least 2 or 3 examples. Also the song titles are not required.

I learn words from song titles all the time! I also look at the grammar in song lyrics and harass my Japanese teachers about what it means :D

Favorites:

花 / 華 (Hana) : Flower

自殺願望 (Jisatsuganbou) : Death wish / Suicidal Desire

セフレ (Sehure) : Fuck buddy

肉便器 (nikunyouki) : Meat Urinal

夢 (Yume) : Dream

切断 (setsudan) : Cutting, amputation

奴隷 (dorei) : Slave

I learn words from song titles all the time! I also look at the grammar in song lyrics and harass my Japanese teachers about what it means :D

That's what my course friend does a lot of times. He asks about the "double words" that he heard in anime series. During the break, I often approach to the white board, draw random Kanji characters that I've seen latest time and ask the teacher what do they mean. Also each time when we have a new grammatical form to learn, he sometimes shows us slang version of it.

Kanji is also really interesting for me (know about 700 right now :D ) Just to ask, do you know what's the difference between 花 and 華? Because the Kanji for it have similar but different meanings, though are red the same way. Oh and just small correction, 肉便器 I think it should be "nikubenki", but that's in passing.

Back to the topic I've just reminded more examples:

奪う [ubau] - snatch away

理想 [risou] - ideal

幻想 [gensou] - illusions

町/街 [machi] - city. I've known this word before, but like with "hana" these two Kanji don't have exactly the same meanings. Good that in IME Input System there are some explaining adnotations added :)

Sign in to follow this