Sign in to follow this  
Ito

Top 10 VK Albums

I wanted to come up with a list of the absolute 10 best VK albums of all time. This list should be something that you can hand out to anyone just getting an interest in VK and say "Here, this is what you need." I am going to try and come up with my own list, but feel free to come up with you own list, come up with additions or things you think should be removed. These are not your favorite albums, but the ones you think are the best VK albums period. Also, I don't think that you should try to pick albums that are representative of VK, but I think the 10 over all should encompass the overall VK scene.

Here's the thing, you need to argue your case! VK, like all music, does not happen in a vacuum. It needs to stand the test of time. Just cause it was awesome when it was released does not mean that it is awesome now. Keep that in mind!

Side note: There might be some argument on what bands are or aren't VK. I am going to go ahead and say if they play Japanese Rock and at least have some association with other VK acts, they count.

Side note 2: Best of's don't count.

10 - deadman - 701125+2

01frontx.jpg

2005-06-08

deadman without a doubt in my mind needed to be on this list. To me, they are THE Nagoya Kei band to beat. There is a lot to love about deadman, and especially this album. Aie’s guitar tone somehow manages to stay unique until this day, and while it took a bit for Mako’s voice to grow on me, it is one the VK greats imo. I honestly had a hard time picking which one of their albums to put on this list, but I went with 701125+2 just because the amount of diversity of this record. We have some calmer tracks such as “blue berry” where Mako’s voice gets to shine, some great fast paced tracks like family, the bass line in “blut/blood” (w/e you wanna call it) is incredible, and I love the crazy end of “sons of star fucker.” God, relistening to this album right now I realize how awesome the bassist is…I feel bad for not knowing his name now.

09 - √eight – Illational

37b0d9589c62.jpg

2006-09-20

I still have no idea how this album seemed to come out of almost nowhere and blow me away the way it did. This album is just packed with different stuff and none of the songs overstay their welcome. The first track has that awesome bass riff and manages to do almost everything right (and might be the highlight of the album). There is the awesome track “igan da seishun” which totally steals from Zlich’s Psyche, but I don’t care cause it just make for a great track. Perhaps the only track that I don’t care for is “sunadokei no inochi,” other than that, everything is on point. This is also probably the least well know album on this list, so if you haven’t checked it out by now, do it.

08 - Abingdon Boys School - Abingdon Boys School

220px-Abs_AbingdonBoysSchoolCover.jpg

2007-10-17

This is the least “VK” release on this list, but you know what? I don’t care :P. This album was everything I was hoping it would be when it came out, and I still spin it often. It is one of those perfect CDs for a long care ride, I never get sick of the songs, there are enough rockers, and I can sing along whenever I want (especially to Takanori pretty poor English XD). Perhaps the reason this album is so great is the balance it has, it manages to be a poppier but I don’t think it sacrifices any of its rocker side to get that. The guitar tone occasional slide into something a bit chunkier and it just feels for great (like “Howling,” one of my favorite tracks of 2007). About my only complaints I have with the album is I don’t much care for the rap version of “Lost Reason” and “Desire” really isn’t that great of a track.

07 - D - The name of the ROSE

The%20Name%20of%20the%20Rose.jpg

2005-09-28

D has done some cool stuff over their career and then they have done “The name of the ROSE.” What makes this album for me is really Asagi’s voice, it is just so damn wonderful. This is also part of the reason why I don’t care for their recent stuff. He handles the presentation of his vocals so delicately, they are powerful when they need to be and subdued when they need to blend…I feel like he doesn’t understand that anymore and he needs to be upfront all the time. It’s that blending that work, it makes so much of the album feel dreamy and smooth. There is “Yamiyoriblah blah blah,” which I can’t help but laugh at every time I hear it (those falsettos…lolololol) . I can just zone out with a smile on my face when I listen to this album (well, save “Yami”).

06 - hide – Psyence

015_psyence.jpg

1996-09-02

If I could, I would put hide’s best of on here…I feel like hide really shined in his singles, so picking an album was a little harder…For me it was a toss up between Ja,Zoo and Psyence, but Psyence won in the end for providing a more complete package. Sure, there is the intro song and “Café Le Psyence” that I could care less about and “Atomic M.O.M.” which I still don’t understand what the fuck is going on. Hell, some of the songs aren’t even that great, like “Lassie.” But the classics on this album more than make up for it… “Genkai Haretsu,” “Hi-Ho,” “Flame,” “Beauty & Stupid,” “Pose,” and “Misery?” Count me the fuck in!

05 - Girugamesh - Girugamesh

Girugamesh.jpg

2007-12-26

Picking between 13’s reborn and their self-titled really was a hard decision, but the overall production and the inclusion of the epic that is “Kowarete Iku Sekai” swung me towards their self-titled. I think we all question how a band that has done stuff this awesome can write the crap that they are doing now. “Patchwork” is a brilliant opener for the album, powerful as hell with such wonderful build ups…why can’t Satoshi scream like that now? I feel like every song hooks your right from the beginning, they always have something interesting right up front. But what seals the deal for me are the two final tracks on the album. I normally hate when bands stack their ballads, but it works on this album. “Domino” is a great song, but it kind of hovers almost at like a half ballad status, not really fully giving up some of the more aggressive side that is present in a lot of the other songs on the album. “Kowarete Iku Sekai” is a whole other beast, though…so few other ballads can send chill down my spine like this song can. The song exudes emotion, for Satoshi’s raw vocals right down to Ryo’s drumming. As I listen to it right now, yup, I have goose bumps again.

04 - Dir en Grey – Gauze

220px-Gauze.jpg

1999-07-28

A VK list without Dir en Grey would be like a house without a roof. Love or hate their style now, I don’t think anyone can argue the impact they had on the VK world. The only problem is picking which album of theirs should be put here. I could honestly see some of you guys having multiple Diru albums in your lists, but for me I think there is only one that really needs to be here for me. Gauze to me is pretty much late 90’s VK summed up in one awesome album. There are the classics like “Cage” (I prolly don’t even need to mention the bass solo) and “Raison d’Etre” but there is just so much more than that on this album. There are the dark songs like “304” (I love Shinya’s drumming in this song), the upbeat songs like the much hated Yokan, and the flat out insane songs like Zan…and they are all so utterly VK. If that wasn’t enough, this album houses one of the favorite ballads, Akuro no Oka. Few songs can really transport you places, and this song does it for me.

03 - 9GOATS BLACK OUT - devils in bedside

Cover.jpg

2008-01-25

I know, this is technically a mini…but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t deserve a place on this list. Out of freaking nowhere 9GBS released this mini that just blew me away (and sadly I can only dream that they will release anything close to it again). You know how I said Giru’s “Kowarete Iku Sekai” sends shivers down my spine? Yeah, well so does pretty much every song on this album. Ryo’s vocals in “sink” just go straight through me…I can’t help but think of softly falling snow when I listen to this song…I just can’t, it is so peaceful and so beautiful. 690min might be the only song I don’t love, but I think when you are surrounded with so many other amazing songs, it is hard to seem impressive. This mini somehow manages to take gloomy and make it beautiful, and that is an art.

02 - D'espairsRay - Coll:set

41KKED5Y72L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2005-06-29

To me it is hard to believe that I didn’t like this album the first time I listened to it…Guess my ears just weren’t ready for something this awesome yet. In one of my other threads I already explained why “in vain” is my favorite D’espairsRay song, but the rest of the album is right there to bring the energy when it needs to. “Infection” feels like a storm slowly moving in, the dark clouds are on the horizon at the beginning of song, by the middle the lightning and thunder is all around you, and by the end you are cold and soaked to the bone. I mean, need I say where I originally pulled the name “Tainted World” from? Besides [The world in cage] which is shit filler, there is not a bad song. Even with the songs that were pretty different for D’espairsRay (the two remixed bonus tracks) are wonderful and stay true to the feeling of this album. This is dark and heavy VK at its best.

01 - Rentrer en Soi - The Bottom of Chaos

220px-Res_The_Bottom_of_Chaos.jpg

2007-08-01

Rentrer en Soi’s self-titled the year previous was pretty sweet, but they figured out the perfect formula for The Bottom of Chaos and blew me away. This album is all things; it has some of the best rockers, some great heavy tunes, and some amazing ballads. I know Satsuki isn’t the best screamer or growler in the world, but he somehow manages to pull it off in “I HATE MYSELF AND WANT TO DIE” (though not so much in GROWL, perhaps the weakest track on the album). The rockers are catchy as hell, “Abyss of Despair” is one of my top most played tracks, and “Just Mad Pain” is almost as addictive. But what this album does best is the ballads. “Thorny Rain Break’s” atmosphere is so thick you could swim in it, Shinwa’s piano and vocal track manages to be peaceful without being boring, and the piano and drum intro to “To Infinity” is enough to make me long the song. If my stomach wasn’t rumbling so hard right now I would probably be able to say much more…XD

So, your turn! Agree, disagree? Think I should shove my head up my ass? lol

Runners up (in no specific order):

FAKE? - Breathe In

Gazette - Disorder

Luna Sea – I would have too much trouble picking any one album lol

Lynch - Greedy Dead Souls

MUCC - Kuchiki no Tou

OZ – VERSUS

Phobia - material of utopia

Schwarz Stien - Artificial Hallucination

Sel'm - Brilliant force

Zess' Top 10 Quality VK Albums

Trying to put together a great Top 10 list of a scene with no discernible roots and no clear definition is no easy task. It's inevitable that people are going to disagree with what should be there, what shouldn't and where they should be placed. That doesn't mean that I'm not going to try. I'm probably going to have a very unorthodox list and that's great - it's better that way IMO.

Which means that we're starting with number 10:

10. √eight – Illational

Released: September 20, 2006

Haha, the only reason why this album is so good is because Kenzi from ∀NTI FEMINISM produced this album. √eight was a small band from Hokkaido with a major shit discography and small budget (aka, your typical VK band) but illational just comes out of left field with it's quality. Part of me thinks Kenzi really "produced" this album if you know what I mean. This is a major turnaround for a band that otherwise should be considered one of the worst bands in VK history. Kyotaro finally learned how to sing, the songs weren't boring as hell and derivative of obvious Linkin Park influences. The new additions to the single tracks didn't take away and some songs feature instruments unorthodox to the scene. Sure, there could have been some improvements to many of the songs and tracks near the end drag a little but the album is a solid work of hard rock and a wonderful debut for a band. Good job Kenzi.

09. ∀NTI FEMINISM - 狂葬録

Released: June 25, 2008

∀NTI FEMINISM is quite possibly the oldest Japanese session band still in existence and considering that it's been around longer than some of the members have been living it's a shame that they're still relatively unknown on the internet. People look at ∀NTI FEMINISM and sneer. Well let me tell you, Kenzi knows how to bring on the madness and this album is 27 tracks of full on anarcho-punk. Kenzi doesn't care that he can't sing. Kenzi doesn't care that the tracks sound very similar. Solos fly abound everywhere. Noise is abound. Songs rarely peak over a minute long. Random sound effects are thrown in for good measure just when you start getting adjusted into the madness. For lots of VK fans this is probably going to be their first exposure to hardcore punk and they're not going to like it. For people that have been around the block more than once, they'd know that this band (and this album) is a serious slab of punk rock that your anus was not prepared for. Accessible? No. Good? Yes.

08. Dir en grey - GAUZE

Released: July 28, 1999

Yoshiki is to Dir en grey as Kenzi is to √eight. Whilst I'm not partial to X, I must say that Yoshiki knows how to make good things sound better. Gauze sets the bar pretty high for a debut from a band and standards like this would have crushed any other starting indies band, but it is far from perfect. The album suffers from one too many clunkers that really should not have made the cut. Mazohyst of Decadence is the prime culprit here - everyone calls it "experimental" and "amazing" and "one of their best tracks ever". I call it a 9 minute acid trip gone bad. Similar other tracks don't deserve a place here and at times Gauze seems like it would have been better off as a mini. However when it hits, it HITS. 304 Goushitsu, Hakushi no Sakura, Yokan, Raison D'etre, Cage and Akuro no Oka stand out as the best songs they've composed during their VK era and other tracks on the album certainly don't slouch. GAUZE has one thing that subsequent albums Macabre and Kisou lack and that would be direction (offered by "Y"ours truly of course) and whilst they were dolled up and dropped the obvious Luna Sea / Kuroyume "influences" it turns out that Yosh steered them in the right direction. Definitely recommended, but there are better.

07. Aliene Ma'riage - 21st Century

Released: March 31, 2001

Aliene Ma'riage is a gem in a sea of late 90's - early 00's VK acts that usually get eclipsed by the "big ones". The members went on to form other bands such as Deflina Ma'riage, NEGA and LAUDER, but none of those bands come close to what the three members managed to synthesize as this unit. Once again, this is a rather unconventional album for a visual band, especially one that started with it's roots in the goth scene and ended up crafting this, which is akin to some sort of digital hardcore (that's how they describe it on the cover anyhow). Vocalist Kyoka is also known for his banshee screams and he uses them to great effect on plenty of songs. The album starts of a little week but once it gets going around track four it's a consistent win right up until it ends. If you haven't heard it yet, you need to hear it. Now.

06. D'espairsRay - coll:set

Released: June 29, 2005

So D'espairsRay doesn't end up doing anything revolutionary with it's infusion of industrial and gothic metal on the album [coll]. It doesn't fucking matter. They take the sound that they had been honing since 1999, throw in electronic effects for good measure and walk away with an album that they couldn't top. You could argue they never bothered to try as every release afterwards was in a different vein of rock. That should be enough to tell you that this release is the bomb. In the newest wave of visual fans to the scene, many often overlook the "older" bands in favor of the new ones and D'espairsRay's accomplishments are set to start fading into the background. Do yourself a favor - pick this up. This is the best industrial/goth metal VK album of all time, no doubt about it.

Disclaimer: When I say best industrial/goth I don't mean of either genre. I mean of the combination of the two.

05. 陰陽座 - 魔王戴天

Released: July 25, 2007

If there is one sin that Monochrome Heaven is guilty of, it's not being more cognizant of this band. Onmyouza play what I describe as "youkai heavy metal" and build very Japanese melodies and tones upon the framework set down by European heavy metal. Add in a operatic female vocalist of exceptional range and skill, songs ranging from full-on thrash to sweet ballads and a dash of elements that can only be described as "Japanese" and you have yourself one hell of a promising album. Add on perfect production and balancing of instruments with pure talent and you have Maoutaiten, one of the best heavy metal albums of this decade.

It was between this and Garyotensei, but I ended up going with this because it's immediately more accessible to fans of heavy metal. If you even call yourself a fan of heavy metal, you must own this album in your digital library. And your physical one too, if at all possible.

04. cocklobin - DARK DESIGN CATALOG

Released: June 29th 2009

If I'm going to throw the next band on here, this band needs to come immediately before it. Both are inextricably linked and cannot be taken separately. cocklobin was obviously influenced by the next release on this list but they manage to create something all their own whilst being the only band to successfully follow in their footsteps (at least part of the way anyhow). While both these bands have had shaky releases and line-up changes during their time together, one thing remains absolutely clear: this is a phenomenal first releases that cocklobin has been unable to top. DARK DESIGN CATALOG mixes nagoya kei flavor with hints of post-rock and does something very few bands in the visual scene think they are allowed to do: make wonderful sounding music. Nigu's voice needs to grow on you but once you do, you have a mini that along with the next album in the list, revitalized the visual kei scene at a time when it was at a low.

03. 9GOATS BLACK OUT - devils in bedside

Released: January 25, 2008

9GBO hits that perfect blend of visual flair and musical delicacy. devils in bedside succeeds where almost 99% of bands in VK fail and it is in it's simplicity. One can find beauty in the simple but poignant melodies. There are no ridiculous solos thrown in because they're "needed" there. The songs don't plod along and go slow for the sake of being slow. No one tries to play above their skill level or spend so much time emulating their idols that they forget to play what they want. The guitarists bend their instruments and produce sublime tones you just don't hear other bands in this scene play. The air is melancholy without being depressing and Ryo's voice is rough but instantly likeable. devils in bedside is the kind of release that I kill for in the VK scene, and a release that isn't seen often enough. Even though it's not technically an album, it's too fucking good to not include here. If you haven't tried this mini, don't call yourself a visual kei fan until you do.

2. Malice Mizer - 薔薇の聖堂

Released: August 23, 2000

Lots of people rate Merveilles above Bara no Seidou. I prefer to do the reverse. The material with Gackt was good don't get me wrong, but Bara no Seidou can be summed up in one word: ethereal. It's like a soundtrack through the pits of despair as this was recorded at a time where Malice Mizer had it all and then lost it all...and then some. The orchestration is great and considering the limitations in budget that they faced I even dare to call it downright amazing. Tracks that seem long-winded and pointless at first unfold over subsequent listens and reveal their purpose. This album evokes feelings within you that few other albums can do successfully and on top of it all, none of this comes off as pretentious or cheesy (their videos, however, are another thing entirely). Whilst it gets overshadowed by Merveilles, an equally as amazing album, Bara no Seidou gets the edge from me simply because it's a more mature Malice Mizer (and the album in itself has all-around stronger tracks). This is a must-listen for any fan of visual kei.

1. Luna Sea - Mother

Released: October 26, 1994

Do I really need to say it?

OK fine I will.

Mother is, without a doubt, a monumental album. It influenced and shaped countless visual bands. It pushed the boundaries of what it meant to be a visual kei band and make music. There is no one track on this album that can be dropped, changed, rearranged, nothing. Luna Sea was a rare breed of band that played their music with a purpose and composed everything the way they did because that's exactly how they intended it to sound. It's downright shameful that as a collective us fans don't appreciate this band, or even look to them and give them as much respect as they're due. We as a collective are too caught up in the bands of today to look at the people the bands of today are trying to supercede when they put out that mini that you claim is great that sounds exactly like a song from this band's first album that may ALSO be what comes up in the sky whilst you sleep. One of the silliest things I've ever read was "X band could have disbanded in 1998 and they would have been remembered as one of the VK greats!". Who do you think "X" band is? You know already. Who do you think influenced "X" band? This band right here. Get your head out of your ass and get this album. This is without a doubt one of the cornerstone albums of visual kei that simply cannot be discarded as a relic of the yesteryear. If you do you're a fool.

Well, FAKE? aren't VK either, so I guess we can assume the term VK applies loosely here? :>

Abingdon Boys School....visual kei ? :wat:

I'll allow it.

"There might be some argument on what bands are or aren't VK. I am going to go ahead and say if they play Japanese Rock and at least have some association with other VK acts, they count."

While ABS isn't exactly really VK, Takanori has some hardcore ties to VK...look at Luis-Mary.

Abingdon Boys School....visual kei ? :wat:

I'll allow it.

"There might be some argument on what bands are or aren't VK. I am going to go ahead and say if they play Japanese Rock and at least have some association with other VK acts, they count."

While ABS isn't exactly really VK, Takanori has some hardcore ties to VK...look at Luis-Mary.

Well, FAKE? aren't VK either, so I guess we can assume the term VK applies loosely here? :>

Yeah, FAKE? is a bit of a stretch, but I figured it was find just leave them in the runners-ups, mainly cause of Inoran lol

01 - Rentrer en Soi - The Bottom of Chaos

220px-Res_The_Bottom_of_Chaos.jpg

There's no way that I could compile a credible list of Top VK albums; however, as a former Rentrer en Soi-fanboy, I take a bit of an issue with this release.

While I do agree that RES were finally starting to fine-tune their heavier sound, I have a hard time placing this album over "SPHIRE CROID". In my opinion, "SPHIRE CROID" was THE definitive RES album. It was very much VK, but it also had an ethereal, almost unworldly quality to it; which I felt was lost in the majority of their later works. Granted, "SPHIRE CROID" doesn't get heavy at all, but I don't think that has ever been the band's strength (nor do I think that was their focus at the time). Ballad-wise, songs like "Full-moon" and (especially) "Wither" remain unparalleled in their discography.

The most prominent reason keeping me from agreeing with you is that "The Bottom of Chaos" still sounded like the band was searching for their sound. It was much better than their self-titled album (which was a train-wreck in many ways), but I don't they were quite there yet. Unfortunately, I don't think RES were successfully able to redefine themselves before disbanding. "Unending Sanctuary" was probably the closest thing to a "perfectly heavy" Rentrer en Soi that we will ever hear. (although Satsuki should NEVER attempt harsh-vocals).

With that said, I think the band could've topped "SPHIRE CROID eventually...they were on the right track with "Unending Sanctuary", but apparently, there must have been some strife within the band - since they parted ways shortly after. Unfortunately, whatever they were going through was painfully apparent, as "Megiddo" was a bit of a mess. It seemed more like a cheap parting gift for the fans, rather than a concentrated effort.

Mona Lisa Overdrive by BUCK-TICK, Zekuu by MUCC, Macabre by Dir en grey, Puppet Show by Plastic Tree and Dai 7 Jikkenshitsu by cali gari are definitely my top 5.

shortlist top 5 for me:

1. D'espairsRay - [Coll]

2. Girugamesh - Girugamesh

3. MUCC - Hoyouku

4. BABYLON - CLAN GENE

5. metronome - 1 metronome

To lazy to do a fancy list, but here we go.

1. LUNA SEA - MOTHER

2. Kuroyume - Romance of Scarlet

3. BUCK-TICK - SEXUAL XXXXX

4. La Feerie - La Berceuse

5. LUNA SEA - IMAGE

6. DIR EN GREY - GAUZE

7. X - VANISHING VISION

8. Ruellia - 俳傀連華

9. Silver~Rose - Labyrinth~迷宮~

10. NéiL - CLOUD -SCREEN OF MIND-

Luna Sea's whole discography . . . Color's first album and Kuroyume's Mayoeru Yuritachi.

Sorry, I'm too tired to argue right now and there are not that many good VK albums I can even think, lol.

SO hard to pick just 10...i had 20...

No description as to why. if you're curious about why...listen to the album yourself :)

10 - Lynch - greedy dead souls.

7545-greedydeadsouls-57w1.jpg

9 - The Candy Spooky Theatre - Dead Spooky Doll's Family In The Rock 'n Child's Spook Show Baby!!

The_Candy_Spooky_Theater_-_Living_Dead_Spooky_Doll%27s_Family_In_The_Rock%27n_Child%27s_Spook_Show_Baby!!.jpg

8 - PIERROT - Finale

3201101857.jpg

7 - BAAL - Religion 616

1241543941_baal-religion_616.jpg

6 - D - 7th Rose

5 - Velvet Eden - Street of Alice

590957-velvet-eden-street-of-alice.jpg

4 - Lolita23q - Marble_Shaking_Ward

Marble%20Shaking%20Ward.jpg

3 - Kagerou - Shinjuka

KAGEROUSHINJUKA.jpg

2 - Dir en Grey - Withering to Death

ialbdaabn.jpg

1 - Aliene Ma'riage - 21st Century

8438b8959b75e9d4eb8e77dba7d56124.C257.jpg

Cant think of ten VK albums so um, fave vk/rock/metal bands, xD.

In No Particular Order:

8-eit - Swingy Swindle

swingy_swindle_32582-1.jpg

B'z - MAGIC

magic_21674.jpg

D - 7th Rose

rose.jpg

Janne Da Arc - Arcadia

arcadia_373.jpg

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Smile

smile.jpg

MALICE MIZER - Merveilles

merveilles_209.jpg

MUCC - Tonan no Houyouku

mucc-tonan-no-houyokudvd.jpg

LUNA SEA - MOTHER

mother_1404.jpg

the GazettE - Nil

nil.jpg

Versailles - NOBLE

noble_9756.jpg

My list, the order is pretty rough. Probably my opinion on some of the list will be different tomorrow hehe,

10. BUCK-TICK Kurutta Taiyou

Kurutta%20Taiyou.jpg

One of the most important VK bands. To pick one of their 15+ albums (which are all near perfect) as a favorite is no easy task. However kurutta taiyou was a really important step for the band, finally stepping out of their "80s sound" and moving to new era with new styles. Includes some gems like speed and jupiter and is really perfect from start to finish. Early 90s in general was BT's most prolific era imo as all albums 90-96 are among my favorite.

9. Kagrra- San

san_691.jpg

While I perhaps would choose ouka ranman or nue as favorite release, San is by far my favorite full album. It really is the culmination of their career imo. San is THE neo japanesque album. It captures what the band had done so well in their previous release with traditional japanese instrumentals/chanting and turning their incredible sound into more catchy pop tunes. With clean production, much improved vocals, and the song satsuki San represents what Kagrra did amazingly.

8 MUCC- Shion

413LbLho%2BSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

If I look at my last.fm top 2 played songs (by a far shot) are fuzz and libra. Fuck these are good songs. This album was a real departure in sound for the band, however they had been experimenting a lot more with each album since kuchiki no tou really. This album was heavy at times, disco, pop, sweet ballads, and even a little metal thrown in. Its really successful at keeping my interest, has a great flow (despite the flop song flight), and blends styles beautifully. 梟の揺り篭, shiva, shion, libra, fuzz, game are standouts for me!

7 Plastic Tree- Traumerai

51M2V3EEHFL._AA240_.jpg

Plastic Tree took me quite a long time to warm to (many years from first listen to becoming fan). It seemed I had only listened to random songs and their worst album still for me (shiro chronicle). After giving Traumerai a listen years later I was won over. Top tracks; Glider, aoi tori, gerbera, hello, 雨ニ唄エバ

6 Guniw Tools- Dazzle

4178622.jpg

In my opinion Guniw Tools is probably the most underappreciated bands among vk/japanese music fans. For a band to have such creativity and beautifully diverse music to be so unpopular is always a surprise to me. Dazzle marked a huge change for GT. Previously they were a trio with most music written by Jake. They had a much more ethereal, nature derived sound I could only define as whimsical. Dazzle was their first album as duo and you could really tell it was different! Dazzle is a fantastic electronic album. Much darker and more eerie than music they had released before. Border of taboo sets the mood perfectly. tooi toori, pictures of utopia, drop an oar are other favorites. Fickle boon and Niwlun are right behind Dazzle in terms of quality and I could recommend them almost as strongly.

5 Deadman- No Altnernative

deadman-no_alternative_thumb.jpg

Best Nagoya-kei album by the best nagoya-kei band. Many people prefer in the direction of sunrise... from what I can tell but no alternative is always my favorite. Aie's guitar and Mako's vocals really make this album quite memorable. 盲目の羽根と星を手に, 苦悩の中の耐え難い存在, ドリスからの手紙. The new 2.0 version I anticipated quite greatly and I really appreciate the sharper sounds.

4 D'espairsRay- Mirror

D

My favorite D'espairsray album!! (take that coll:set). While coll:set does have some of the bands best songs, it can't touch mirror in terms of a cohesive album. It's great start to finish. I had this on repeat for months. Damned is a strong opener, going into trickster and mirror both with similar feel. SIXty∞NINe has an almost marilyn manson feel and groovy grunge. 凍える夜に咲いた花 and screen are 2 of the bands most beautiful songs to date. 凍える夜に咲いた花 single was special to me as I saw them in concert live the first time they played this song/wearing promotion outfits from it. Lost scene is the only missing link for me on the album, fairly skippable. Hollow makes you want to sing along. Last 3 songs on the album are among the best. First angeldust is the highlight of the album for me. Heavy, melodic, with almost fantasy feel to it. The vocals are some of Hizumi's best. Squall is an amazing pop song that drew ire of many fans but I think people grew to love it. Last kaleidoscope closes this nearly perfect album!

3 MUCC- houmura uta

169723.jpg

Swim taiyaki-kun! zetsubou, mama, mae e, suimin, zuta zuta. This album is schizo and incredibly delicious. Has the best of heavy and raw early MUCC with a few quirky songs. Zekuu is also a great early mucc album, but is not quite as diverse as homura uta and also not as fun to listen to despite having some of MUCC's classic songs. I really recommend it.

2 Dir en grey- Macabre

13221.jpg

Another album that took me some time to really appreciate it. For a while I always appreciate kisou and vulgar more to it. A few years ago I had a real listening epiphany and since I have always been in love with this album. It is DEG's most experimental and diverse album for sure (though kisou also is up in the running). Perhaps Uroboros is a better album (and since its not VK I wont consider it here) but Macabre is fun to listen to, and keeps me more interested with its insane mix of songs. Myaku is the only song I don't too much like. Deity is a really great opener, starting like normal DEG song, with some fantastic russian chanting, and chaotic noises. Riyuu and audrey are both quite beautiful slow pop/rock songs. A bit ballad heavy, hotarubi, macabre, and zakuro are all 3 really heavy hitting ballads. They are really dense, sad, and complicated. My appreciation for them only increases on each listen. I love the shit out of hydra (but enjoy hydra 666 more sorry original!). What makes this album so great are songs like berry, taiyou no ao, kr cube, and egnirys cimredophy. These are the quirkiest and most uncharacteristic songs Deg has released (along with jessica on kisou). I love hearing people bitch about taiyou no ao. If you didn't know Deg's early music and checked out the video you'd be a bit shocked, but I think it's a beautiful pop song and great close to the album.

1 Luna Sea- Mother

thumb.jpg\

Mother of all that is good and holy. Image and style also came to mind when making this list. But I could only choose mother. Luna Sea is the most important VK of the 90s imo. Rosier, genesis of mind, and mother are really the highlights of this album. However every song is perfect. It's really quite special. Go listen!

Other honorable mentions- 9goats- Tanatos, Rentrer en Soi- Rentrer en soi, MUCC- gokusai, Dir en grey- kisou, guniw tools- fickle boon, cali=gari - Dai 6, Sel'm- Brilliant force, Plastic Tree- nega to poji, (every album by) Buck-Tick- six/nine, Buck-Tick darker than darkness, heidi.-kasou

I don't know what it is, I really enjoy the old VK stuff, but I couldn't get into Aliene Ma'riage's album. (I only listened to it once, though)

Seeing it on at least 2 of the top 10's means I'm gonna have to give it another try.

Also, I'm so bad at these things. I hardly know what my top favorite VK bands would be and forget about albums. I'll mull it over and try to post at least a top 5 or something soon.

I'm a bit disappointed that some of you aren't describing the albums you're listing - I'm sure a lot of us would like to know WHY you all chose the albums you did.

While music does speak for itself, you all are giving me absolutely no incentive to even go download these albums. People like me, who aren't avid VK fans, need convincing - and simply listing an album and posting artwork isn't gonna cut it.

I'm a bit disappointed that some of you aren't describing the albums you're listing - I'm sure a lot of us would like to know WHY you all chose the albums you did.

While music does speak for itself, you all are giving me absolutely no incentive to even go download these albums. People like me, who aren't avid VK fans, need convincing - and simply listing an album and posting artwork isn't gonna cut it.

Also, what do you think about a 'Top 10 Non-VK Albums' topic? Top 10 Indie Albums maybe a too narrow spectrum for many users to list ten _really_ good albums/favourites, but if the only limitation is that it shouldn't be VK, I think many user could contribute. Thoughts?

(And maybe we should state in the opening post, that you should write at least about 3-4 sentences about the listed albums, so it won't be just a 'lists-only' topic.)

Wanted to write this earlier but it took a long time just to think about it and write it all up. xD

So here it goes: here's 10 of my fave VK albums, in alphabetical order.

BUCK-TICK - Kurutta taiyou (1991)

kurutta-taiyou-digital-remastered-regular-edition-big.jpg

One of my fave B-T albums, it catches the band towards the end of a transitory period: their light-hearted/poppy sound is transforming into something darker and more serious. There is a fresh experimental edge to the music, employing harder and more varied guitars then the previous albums, plus Atsushi begins to sing in a lower 'manlier' voice as well on most tracks. The music is still catchy, but presented in a more mature, colourful way, much owing to Imai's creative use of guitar effects, from fuzzy noise-distortion to ethereal chimes and melody lines that sound more like ambient synth-playing. A very solid piece of music with a unified vision.

cali≠gari - Dai 5 jikkenshitsu (1999)

cd5f.jpg

One of their classic albums with "Shuuji-1", Dai 5 really showcases the highlights of that incarnation of the band: while the instrumentation isn't anything heavy, the music carries a weird atmosphere which is sometimes menacing, sometimes bitter and nostalgic, but all the while a bit not right in the head. It has a kind of core, stripped-down style with mainly Ao's catchy/demented guitar lines and Kenjirou's exceptional bass playing at the forefront, with added vocal insanity by the old Shuuji. Everytime I hear this album, I wish they had made more stuff with this vocalist (not that I don't like the "new Shuuji", it's just that the old one had something extra IMO).

deadman - SiteOfScafFold (2001)

deadman-site_of_scaffold.jpg

While I do love deadman's two full-length albums, I'm most fond of this mini album. A very nice essence of early deadman: dark tones that rapidly shift between depressive melancholy and nihilistic aggressivity. Every song is crafted beautifully, and Mako's beautiful voice really ties it all together with a kind of fluidity that is pretty amazing. Probably this releases is their most honest sounding, due to the raw sound/production. Each deadman release evokes in me a sense of space; this one is more like a sudden fall into some sort of formless nightmare, having its violent and tranquil moments as well. All in all, I think they were a pretty exceptional band (props to aie for composing those awesome songs!).

GUNIW TOOLS - OTHER GOOSE (1997)

44189993.png

GT were a pretty weird bunch, even in the realm of visual kei. Unlike their popular contemporaries, their sound was influenced by an array of genres, from folk to alternative rock and beyond. This, to me, is their magnum opus, a refinement on the style of their first album, and introducing new elements as well. Jake's and Asaki's guitar play is noteworthy, also mastermind Full's vocals evoke a quirky mood throughout the album. The music is very colorful and picturesque (if this means anything in a musical context), full of great poppy hooks and rockin' riffs, as well as interesting textures. I like that they were a band that totally went their own way, overseeing everything from their music videos to their live stage, and this strong controlled vision really shows on this album: it is a concentrated, fresh and inspiring effort.

LUNA SEA - IMAGE (1992)

imageafe.jpg

It was really hard to choose a favorite LS album, it would be either this or STYLE. I chose this one in the end because it was my first album of theirs that I bought in physical form, so the music along with the booklet has a special feeling for me. While their first album had some great standout tracks and some unremarkable ones (for me, at least), this is where they really come into form. The crisp and tight guitars, the fantastically driving bass, powerful yet elegant drumming, and Ryuichi's vocals that are still like an unpolished diamond but not lacking in gentle beauty. Some of my first few fave LS tracks come from this album, so I guess that's another thing why I'm partial to it. It has a nice feeling, that otherwordly beyond-everyday world that characterizes the first few of their albums. An early VK gem this is!

MALICE MIZER - Voyage ~sans retour~ (1996)

54365336.jpg

A favorite of mine partly for similar reasons I mentioned above, great music and an elegant booklet/design makes for a nice experience. This album was a drastic change for the band: not only was this Gackt's first full-length with the band but their style previously characterized by overflowing guitarwork evolved into a much colorful affair. In fact, coming from a rock/metal background I was (and sometimes still am) fascinated by the scarcity of explicit/dominant guitarwork on this CD. They make up for that with delightfully catchy and, let's admit, cheesy synthwork - courtesy of Mana and Közi. Gackt adds a nice touch to the sound with his occasional piano playing (see the beautiful outro track), and fantastic voice, kind similar to Ryuichi of LS on IMAGE with that 'unpolished' notion.A very unusual and beautiful album, with some great diversity, from classical-inspired guitar-rock to even bossa nova-like sections.

Merry - Modern Garde (2004)

209fba.jpg

This band is an old love of mine, almost dating back to the times I discovered Japanese rock (same with BUCK-TICK), and this album represents their essence the best, I think. It has a number of staple songs that are still relevant in their live repertoire, and overall very fun to listen to. This album really shines in the catchiness department! So much creative guitarwork, and amazingly energetic drumming. I think this album was the first one where I paid attention more to the drums, and probably this is the source of my fanboying towards Nero, lol. xD The guy is amazing! Anyway, the album has a very good mix of light and heavier music, and that 'retrock' nostalgic feel that made me fall in love with Merry in the first place. The whole structure, beginning and ending, and album length (it goes by so fast!) makes for an excitement-packed rollercoaster ride of a listen.

MUCC - Gokusai (2006)

muccgokusai.jpg

This album stays true to its name: "richly colored". It has all aspects that I've come to love MUCC's music for: great songs with catchy parts, well-placed and -played instruments and awesome vocals, plus lots of variety within their sound. I think this is a perfected form of perhaps what they were trying to do on Houyoku, achieving that mature more laid-back style, but this time they do it while audibly having a blast! The tracks are very memorable, each has something worthwhile, be it heaviness or beautiful gentle melodies, and even an air of playfulness that is, in my opinion, essential to the MUCC sound. They played a very 'human' form of rock on this album, I can't describe it better.

MUNIMUNI - MAGICAL MOONIES (2010)

43930835.jpg

Their only full-length so far, and completely mesmerizing. What I like about MUNIMUNI is that they are not ashamed to deliberately flaunt their influences or make smart musical references here and there, all the while remaining original in their own brand of psychedelic-tinged dreamy post-punk wanderings. I love everything about this release, from the jangly-jarring guitars to Kanon's fragile (slightly demented) vocals, and the overall looming atmosphere that oozes from the speakers. All this unified mood would mean nothing, of course, without memorable songs, but thankfully they're more than competent in that area. They have an air of mystery, as the band itself (actually, I don't think there's any official video footage of them at all, and I haven't seen them except for a handful of photos either, lol). This album is really a godsend from the indies-scene, solidifying my belief that good music is still around, as it will be.

Plastic Tree - Dona dona (2009)

ptdd.jpg

I could've chosen other more classic PT albums, but truthfully this is the most closest to my heart, because this was the first of their albums that I've waited for being already something of a fan or admirer of the band. I like the dreamy, kinda rainy atmosphere this album evokes. It's a release that can be very quiet at one time, and powerfully loud the next; great dramatic contrasts in there. I like how it is pretty much straight to the point, no aimless lengthy songs for the sake of length, even the closer monumental piece is amazing (I usually don't like this post-rock-like style of music by the way). I think this is a pretty modest album, and I appreciate this. No flashy gimmicks, no "hey this and this is the hit song, guys!" syndrome, just honest sounding down-to-earth good songs. I especially like the presence Kenken brought to the band, it's a totally different drumming style than Bucchi's. I like both of them equally but you can really feel that fresh different atmosphere here caused by the drums - maybe a fresh fragrance after rain?

Well, that would be it. I have many more favorites but these were the ones that came to mind first.

ed716ef984.jpg

10. Oyuugi Waga Mamadan×【PaRADEiS】 - Col・tempo

I feel like people around here only ironically like PaRADEiS, but they're honestly pretty cool. Their writing, though maybe not very adult, is unexpected and risky—who else would release the supremely unconventional Onigokko as a single? If you've continuously passed them over due to their looks, it might be worth giving this album a quick try. I especially recommend: the unabashedly cute but undeniably infectious LoLli★LOLLIPOP; vaguely dark, carnival-after-closing Sora no Kajitsu -burn out-; abstract, space-song Onigokko; touchingly strained fairy tears; and the superb, sunshine-after-rain closing track, Toki no Sumika.

51x%2BYhnqh2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

09. NEGA - GRAVE OF THE SACRIFICE

At this point in time, NEGA was certainly not good enough to be included in the list of monster bands that define visual kei. However, their first album was remarkably solid, and that alone is a stand-out feature in the visual kei world. The album displayed a fairly wide range of styles, almost always pulled off successfully. I have many favorites from this album: the unrefined mosh song the Grave; commercial but catchy Soul cry; super dark murder song muddy cult; unapologetic ACRO no Oka ripoff guilt trip; upbeat 17 Sai no Kodoku; nostalgic piano feature reminiscence (although I prefer the 10 minute extended single version); and sad piano outro In the shadow of the rain cloud. Again, this album doesn't necessarily redefine visual kei or open any new doors, but it is really successful in capturing the dark world that NEGA represents—it gives me hope that their second album just might be the kind that does redefine the genre.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAJsuW1CagrXpY4ADpAi9lE_hMxIpLnI9D4SJq7xS78XKE0JZo9IDQsWmKyw

08. Vinett - HAPPY!!

I'm not much of a fan of the oshare segment of visual kei, but when I'm in the mood, this is my go-to album. Vinett seems to be somewhat under-appreciated (or maybe just not that well known), but their compositions are truly spot on. The songs GLASS no Kutsu, HEART, and TINKLE・TINKLE are ridiculously catchy and well-performed; YES!!natural-high is a really energetic tune with punk hints and one of my favorite tropes, the everyone-in-a-pub-singing-together; and Ririe-RIRIE- is the sort of smiling-through-tears sad that really gets me. Furthermore, the interludes are almost as great as the actual songs: Are you HAPPY? is unforgettable and has become a permanent staple of my lexicon; †Short film† Maboroshi no ICECREAM is hilarious by means of its pointlessness; and Bye Bye... is, for some reason, a gut-wrenchingly sad piano outro. The album is successful on a superficial level because of its great oshare songs, but, at a deeper level, it communicates a feeling: being crushed by the world and knowing that you don't have the power to change it, but smiling anyway. To me at least, it's really poignant in that respect.

513X7XA7Z4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

07. Kagrra, - San~san~

Despite trying desperately, I never liked much of Kagrra,'s work. In its same-ness, it seemed to wall itself off from outsiders—if you liked Kagrra, from the beginning, you would continue to “get it,” but if you didn't, you weren't allowed in their world. San~san~ was different in that, despite using the same ancient Japanesque lexicon, it was familiar enough to someone like me to be accessible. Its opening track, Murakumo, is what the essence of an opening track should be: emotional, but reserved, so that the listener is seduced into the album. Other great songs are Ibitsu, for its great guitar hook; Satsuki for its overwhelming sense of nostalgia; Boufura for its slow power; and Himetsu for its swingy, upbeat hooks.

41492ZT09HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

06. BUCK-TICK - Six/Nine

It was a tossup between this and darker than darkness -style93-. I love both because they captured a time at which BUCK-TICK had already established its style and was ready to experiment with more abstract compositions—and yet the experimentation felt completely genuine, unlike, say, SEXY STREAM LINER. Ultimately, I chose Six/Nine because I feel that it's a stronger album overall; but give DTD a shot if you like this one!

Anyway, the reason that I love Six/Nine is because it really transports me somewhere unlike any other album can. I've spent many a night sitting the dark, listening to this album and working on some design; and for fleeting moments, I'm so absorbed in the soundscape that I become disoriented and forget where I am. That's the best space for creativity, and no other album helps me so effortlessly reach that space.

Favorite tracks: Loop (and Loop MARK Ⅱ) for their absorbing nether-realm soundscapes; love letter, for its unwavering cynicism; Kodou, for its lost-in-space cool vibes; Aikawarazu no 「ARE」 (...), for its abstract, almost R&B feeling; and Itoshii no ROCK・STAR, for its tongue-in-cheek funkiness.

31D129N2A5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

05. lynch. - greedy dead souls

This album, for me, exemplifies what visual kei can accomplish. Most people here are probably too young in the scene to remember, but this album's release was a really atypical. The band just appeared and announced a full album—no pictures, no samples, nothing. It was really ballsy and got everyone's attention—and rightfully so, because the album is really great. The album has a dark and heavy sound, but doesn't err toward ridiculousness in the way that DEATHGAZE did. Tracks like vernie and 59 are unabashedly aggressive, while Mujun to Sora and LATINA MARIA show sincere emotion and wide range. The album is one of the most successful debuts from a visual kei act and shows what can be accomplished within the genre.

256ed0920ea01c3fa69bd110.L.jpg

04. MALICE MIZER - Bara no Seidou

This is, without question, my favorite MALICE MIZER release. Although I understand why their earlier Gackt era is the more famous one, this album just draws me in like no other. The introduction and first song set the mood for what is an unbeatable experience; the drama thrown out by this album is absolutely deadly. Harpsichord, organ, and choral chanting abounds, and it's absolutely marvelous. Favorites: drama-laden organ and violin -fest Seinaru (...); semi-industrial piano, harpischord, angelic chorus slammer Kyomu (...); pitch-black catacomb opera Chikasuimyaku (...); and beautiful, rose-petals-falling closer Shiroihada (...). Early 90s visual kei with a budget; absolutely incredible (sorry Gackt!).

41WQ85TKFFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

03. DIR EN GREY - GAUZE

This one is ubiquitous, so I won't spend to much time on it. This is, indisputably, one of the most influential visual kei albums of all time. From pretty songs like Yurameki, the insanity-personified Zan-ZAN-, to the super long and abstract mazohyst of decadence, this album is almost entirely great. Although its immaturity is now evident, it does down in history for setting the bar.

37665019.png

02. D - The name of the ROSE

I very often call this my ultimate visual kei album; it's indie visual kei, but elevated. It captures the young energy and lovable immaturity of visual kei without actually succumbing to those things—just the right amount of polish and adult sensibility, while still maintaining a sense of exploration and experimentation. Since going major, D sometimes errs on the side of “costumed rock” (think Seikima Ⅱ), but, back in these days, they were still planted firmly and undeniably in visual kei. Almost all tracks are favorites: Day Dream is the perfect opening track, mono-emotional but beautiful, and sets up the album without giving it all away; Yami Yori (...) is the ultimate D class, with overwhelming drama and hard-hitting metal; Art de la piste is slow, sometimes sad, sometimes mysterious, always sinister, the phantom of the opera slinking through his home at midnight; Hourglass is full of subdued emotion and nostalgia; and the closing track Sleeper has the perfect amount of commerciality without betraying the band's roots. The second press of the album is especially great because it contains three rerecordings of older D classics: Shiroi Yoru, Tsukiyo no Koiuta, and Mayutsuki no Kan, all great songs in their own right.

51QL5OKyzoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

01. Madeth gray'll - Lucifer (...)

This is my ultimate visual kei album. Not because I think it is the best-written album of all time—it isn't—but because it captures 100% of what I think visual kei should be, more so than any other. It's young and flawed, but ruthlessly and unwaveringly executed. Vocalist Hisui is not a good singer—you must accept that fact immediately and continue listening anyway—but he is a damn good vocalist, and his ticks and oddities just make him that much more emotional and fun to sing along with. (He joins a pantheon of bad-singer-great-vocalists: Sakito of Dué le quartz, Kyouka of Aliene Maφriage, JIN of NEGA, Ren of brodiaea [well, if he had continued down the path he was going, instead of abandoning it for the high-pitched shit-eating-grin vocals that he's since chosen—but I digress].)

As for the songs, each one is amazing for different reasons. The opening track, Seimei no Shuuen, is one of my favorites, even though it's just an instrumental; a baby crying, mysterious footsteps, an old record player with a tune you recognize; it's super mysterious and intriguing, which suddenly becomes omnibus and foreboding. It's the perfect lead in to first song 「Zwei」 (...), which pummels you with fast guitar, chugging bass, filtered screams, insane vocals, and a visual kei staple, the countdown from 10 to -1. Kokushichou (...) is similarly impressive; marching drums, super strong bass riffs, soaring guitar, and guitar duel of sorts that brings everything together niceless. Kioku is a semi-instrumental that's beautiful in its own right, evoking images of Heaven (maybe the kind we see in BAYONETTA?) with bells, piano, and vague, otherwordly chanting—which leads right into the song Lucifer (appropriate), which relies on a super catchy organ loop while guitar and drums fight over top. We then descend to hell with 「M」 (...) and, once we're there, Akuratsunaru (...) takes us through the torture of some poor soul who was sent there! The last song, Kuuchu Toshi ~in the zaiemu~, is the “pretty song” of the bunch, with the sound of wind, an angelic chorus, and a decidedly 90s guitar riff; really beautiful stuff. Finally, we end with instrumental track Evil en Lucifer, which seems to be about... killing a baby!

Overall, the album is incredibly effective at painting the world of Madeth gray'll. At times we're in Heaven, at times in Hell, sometimes we're stuck in between in a mysterious ethereal plane, and most times we're left with the sense that this is all in some asylum patient's head. For me, that's what visual kei is really about; young men putting on a play, not because they want to go major or because they want girls, but because they think it's just really fucking cool. And in fact, I think many people would agree with me—this was by far the most successful release Matina ever had (and UNDER CODE too, I think). It sold over 20,000 copies in its first two pressings, and had a third that apparently had no specific limit; and yet it's still fairly expensive today. Madeth gray'll started out emulating their peers (early KUROYUME and so on), but they became their own entity, and this is their greatest work as such. It's no accident that 90% of modern “old school” kote kei bands look like Madeth.

^ Agreed about the Madeth Gray'll and the NEGA album. Really cool indie-VK releases! Also I totally have a thing for those "bad singer, great vocalist" type of bands, lol.

Sign in to follow this