Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Thrice

592f1b3e65df64184fd30eded24c18b8.jpg

Thrice is an American rock band from Irvine, California, formed in 1998. The group was founded by guitarist/vocalist Dustin Kensrue and guitarist Teppei Teranishi while they were in high school.

Early in their career, the band was known for fast, hard music based in heavily distorted guitars, prominent lead guitar lines, and frequent changes in complex time signatures. This style is exemplified on their second album, The Illusion of Safety (2002) and their third album The Artist in the Ambulance (2003). Their fourth album Vheissu (2005) made significant changes by incorporating electronic beats, keyboards, and more experimental and nuanced songwriting. Their fifth effort was a double album entitled The Alchemy Index (2007/2008), released as two sets of two CDs that together make a 4-part, 24-song cycle. Each of the four 6-song EPs of the Alchemy Index features significantly different styles, based on different aspects of the band's musical aesthetic which reflect the elemental themes of fire, water, air and earth, both lyrically and musically. The band's sixth album, entitled Beggars, was released on August 11, 2009, and their seventh, Major/Minor on September 20th, 2011. The most recent albums feature a refined combination of the band's different experiments and explorations.

Each album released by Thrice has had a portion of its sales proceeds donated to a new charitable organization.

9pyA_lSJXK4

wCmSTfHotJs

Got into these guys back when Artist In the Ambulance came out. I always loved their sound and it's been interesting to see how much they have progressed and changed while still remaining awesome. Compare Stare at The Sun with In Exile for example. They definitely started to progress into their more current indie sound on the Air and Earth Alchemy Index release and continued with it into Beggars. Their new album is great too.

Yeah I remember having a song of theirs on my iPod once, and I remember liking it so yeah...might check out some other stuff by them

Saw them play for the first time at a sold out show at Irving Plaza. They totally rocked. The crowd was pretty chill and cool during their performances of their new material but then hell broke loose whenever they played their harder and faster songs. The band actually played songs from all of their 7 albums which I thought was great since bands with several albums usually omit a good portion of their songs from live performances.

going on hiatus :(

Just found out too. Not surprising since they haven't taken a break since they formed. I don't really mind when band's go on hiatus though. As long as its not years, or leads to a breakup.

I kind of knew this was going to happen considering 'Beggars' and 'Major/Minor' weren't up to everyones expectations. They should've stuck with the Vheissu sound, tbqh. Let's hope Dustin releases another solo album!

Sign in to follow this