Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

The National

49316f2d5e2a673f_The_National_TheNationa

?

The National is a rock band formed in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1999 and currently based in Brooklyn, New York. The band's lyrics are written and sung by Matt Berninger, a baritone. The rest of the band is composed of two pairs of brothers: Aaron and Bryce Dessner and Scott and Bryan Devendorf. Padma Newsome, from sister band Clogs, often contributes strings, keyboards, and other arrangements and instrumental flourishes.
?

Their first album The National was released in 2001 on Brassland Records, a label founded by band members Aaron and Bryce Dessner, along with their friend Alec Hanley Bemis.[ When reviewing the album, Jason MacNeil of No Depression wrote, "...The National has created nearly a dozen picture-perfect Americana bar-soaked gems with its debut album. From the opening notes of "Beautiful Head", the delicate line between polished roots-oriented pop and alt-country has rarely been walked so deliberately with the payoff so favorable."

The National's sophomore album Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers, released in 2003, was the band's first collaboration with record producers, Paul Heck and Peter Katis. Publications such as Uncut and the Chicago Tribune named it an album of the year.

Their first album on Beggars Banquet, Alligator, was released in 2005. The album was met with much critical acclaim and featured highly in "Album of the Year" charts in the Los Angeles Times, Insound, Uncut, and many other publications. The album allowed the band increased exposure. NME and Pitchfork Media ranked Alligator as a top album of the 2000s. Alligator went on to sell over 200,000 copies worldwide.

Their fourth album, Boxer, was released on May 22, 2007, and also received widespread critical praise. The album features contributions from various guest artists, including Sufjan Stevens and Doveman (a.k.a. Thomas Bartlett). It was voted as the #2 best album of the year by Stereogum.com and the #1 album of the year by Paste Magazine. Boxer made numerous "album of the decade" lists, including Pitchfork Media, Aquarium Drunkard, Paste, and more.

In May 11, 2010 their next album, High Violet, was released to widespread critical acclaim. The album also debuted with first week sales topping charts across the world, ranking #3 in the US, #2 in Canada, #5 in the United Kingdom, and #3 in Portugal, among others. The album has sold over 500,000 copies worldwide. High Violet is now a Gold Album in UK, Ireland, Denmark and Belgium.

The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio

?

The National - Conversation 16

?

?

Another amazing band out of the post punk revival scene. I've been listening to them ever since High violet. Recommend if you like good music. Matt Berninger seriously has one of the most manliest voices ever.

I really like Matt Berninger's voice, but still, their music is like "Interpol plays songs from Tindersticks". Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers is a good album, though.

DLed their discog a while ago, but I can't figure out a place to start. Which cd would be a good starter?

DLed their discog a while ago, but I can't figure out a place to start. Which cd would be a good starter?

I would suggest Alligator and Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers, those are my two favourites from them.

I only know Bloodbuzz Ohio, been meaning to check out more of their stuff.

New album out on May 22nd called Trouble Will Find Me! I can't wait for this. I still listen to High Violet regularly and they've quickly became one of my favoritres.

National-The-Trouble-Will-Find.jpg?__SQU

Tracklist

01. I Should Live in Salt
02. Demons
03. Don’t Swallow the Cap
04. Fireproof
05. Sea of Love
06. Heaenfaced
07. This is the Last Time
08. Graceless
09. Slipped
10. I Need My Girl
11. Humiliation
12. Pink Rabbits
13. Hard to Find

^ I can't wait for their new album. High violet is also one of my fav's. And it's out May 20, 2013 in Europe and May 21 in North America.  

One of the albums I most looking forward to in 2013. And I'm seeing these guys live in June for the first time so I'm also excited about that.

^ Jealous! I hope they will extend their tour to overseas next year,
I'd definitely spend the money to see them live if they came here. And drool over Matt Berninger in person.

By the way, there's also a new band pic:

576920_10151306021311010_90043170_n.jpg

^ Everyone looks great and they've done overseas tour before, but it's been mostly Europe. Maybe they'll add more dates later on to cover other countries.

New song is brilliant. The lyrics are awesome and the instrumentation is top notch as usually.  And in addition to the new album they've got coming out the band is also working on a new documentary called Mistaken For Strangers.

TWFM is out. Anyone listened to it yet?

I could only listen to it for the first time a few days ago and I love it. I need to give it lots of other listens, but so far the first four songs + Pink Rabbits are my favorites. Turning out different from High Violet and not having instantly catchy songs (like Sorrow, Lemonworld and Vanderlyle) ended up not being a big deal for me at all.

^ I bought the album the first day it came out and I've been listening to it non stop since then. It's another masterpiece for the band. Definitely a contender for album of the year. Plus the album topped a lot of charts in different countries which is always good news for the band. I'm seeing them live in a week and now I'm super exited to hear them play the new material. 

Sign in to follow this