Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

FLCL

flcl.jpg

FLCL revolves around Naota. His life in the city of Mabase is interrupted by the arrival of Haruko Haruhara (who is an alien) who bursts on the scene by running Naota over with her Vespa scooter, then giving him CPR and hitting him on the head with a blue vintage Rickenbacker 4001 left-handed electric bass guitar. Ever since then, Giant Robots from Medical Mechanica have been coming out of Naota's head.

This is one my favorite anime series. Not only is it hilarious, but its got an offbeat animation style(usually during lots of character movement), and a really weird but original plot. I love the characters and excellent story telling. Which is why the mix of comedy, scifi, action, romance, and sexuall perversion are pulled off so well. A lot of the writing is really smart and subtle and something I grew to appreciate after watching the series more than once. Another thing I grew to appreciate was the series length. Initially a complaint I had was that such an awesome anime was only 6 episodes long but now I think it adds to the genius of it. And inevitably after watching the series it made me a pillows fan.

I used to love when it would come on Adult Swim... it seems like they don't even show anime anymore though.

Oh boy, I remember watching that at 2 in the morning and wondering what the hell was going on.

Anyway, this is one probably the anime that got me into j-rock....

Sign in to follow this