Sign in to follow this  
foshokku

The Black Mages

Black_Mages_Above_The_Sky_AfterShow.jpg

"The Black Mages are a Japanese instrumental rock band formed by Nobuo Uematsu, composer for various video games in the Final Fantasy series. The band arranges Uematsu's musical compositions in a rock style often similar to progressive metal, achieved with the additional use of synthesizers.

The band has released two studio albums, the first containing only combat-related instrumentals. It was released eponymously as The Black Mages in 2003. The second album?The Skies Above?was released in 2004 and features a wider array of pieces. Guest vocalists Tomoaki Watanabe (as "mr.goo") and Kazco Hamano appear on separate tracks, and an original track titled "Blue Blast - Winning the Rainbow" was created for Japanese K-1 fighter Takehiro Murahama. The Black Mages have appeared on several other video game-related (mostly Final Fantasy) albums. According to Uematsu, The Black Mages will produce their third album in the near future with an extra disc centered on Japanese mythology.

Live performances are rare, with only two concerts that celebrated album releases. The first?"The Black Mages LIVE"?was held in Shibuya, and later released on DVD exclusively to fanclub members. A second concert?"LIVE above the sky"?was held in Kawasaki City and similarly released on DVD to fanclub members. However, The Black Mages have made appearances in various Final Fantasy-related concerts, such as "VOICES" and 'More Friends.'"

Pure awesomeness.

I'm pretty sure many of you have played these games, so it'll be nostalgic for everyone

As for me, it has always been an incredible experience to hear all those beloved themes played in heavy rock tunes. XD

You'll love'em.

Discography

(2003.02.19) The Black Mages

(2004.12.22) The Black Mages II: The Skies Above

HAHA oh yeah mean. Kick freaking ass, they are. Nobuo's a genious. <3

hehe, I like it :3 rockish FF songs

I love their "Maybe I'm a Lion" and "The Decisive Battle" (FF6) versions!

besides: *bows in front of Uematsu*

If anyone wants, I'll upload the two albums I have :)

I think I like all their songs the same in the end XD can't decide.

Happy listening!

File name: (japan-music) [album] The Black Mages (10.05.2004).part1.rar

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bx7b5tsk9mm

File name: (japan-music) [album] The Black Mages (10.05.2004).part2.rar

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?f3zvyn1zwil

File name: (japan-music) [album] The Black Mages - THE BLACK MAGES II The Skies Above (22.12.2004).part1.rar

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?2ckm1z23zuv

File name: (japan-music) [album] The Black Mages - THE BLACK MAGES II The Skies Above (22.12.2004).part2.rar

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?dvhehn0wuuo

Oh, good to know that people got interested in them. XD

Actually, I put a link to individual downloads to their songs, take a look there!

Highlights for me goes to Dancing Mad, Fight with Seymour and Clash on the Big Bridge. They're even better than the originals for me, except for Seymour's theme, which is an instant classic.

Aw man, Dancing Mad is incredible. That was the Kefka fight in FF6 wasn't it?

Clash on the Big Bridge was pretty awesome, too. Think that was Gilgamesh's theme, right? (I keep wanting to say Girugamesh, lawl. Damn this J-Rock.)

Those Who Fight Further is one of my favourites, aswell. Because it's FF7, hah. And hey, they did the Advent Children soundtrack did they not? I can't believe it, but this is the first time I've actually wondered that... It must've been... One Winged Angel is far, far too immense to have been done by anyone else...

And I heard they have a new album coming. No idea when, but it's supposed to have Trance Kuja's theme The Dark Messenger on it. One of my favourite FF songs. <3 I hope it's true.

Yeah, there are two CD's to it. One is gonna be more Final Fantasy stuff, and the other is apparently gonna be "traditional" or whatever. I dunno, I have faith in Nobuo. Bet it'll be awesome. <3

It's quite a shame these guys disbanded, though I guess it was inevitable with one of them moving and another taking a teaching position. Was hoping they'd get one more album out.

Sign in to follow this