Sign in to follow this  
lukrecia

Zola Jesus

Zola Jesus

Zola+Jesus+20100913224910_MG_3313.jpg

OHP

MYSPACE

Nika Roza: I tried to do this with my cousin. She's an aspiring goth. I am trying to turn her into a weirdo. 'It's like pop music but it's really noisy and there's opera.' I would probably say, 'This sounds like Hannah Montana' and let their minds adjust. 'This is what Hannah Montana can also sound like.' There's got to be a Nickelodeon Black. If you turn on TV you see people yelling things and vomiting colors. But when I was growing up seeing cartoons they would have a lot of snot and bodily fluids and weird things. What is going to happen to this new generation? But I would tell the 7-year-old child it was the Apocalypse. You know what, fuck that. There's nudity and language--let them see it! If not, they will turn into bigger creeps. You have to expose children to stuff like that. You gotta be ready.

Zola Jesus is the solo project of the russian/american singer-songwriter, Nika Roza Danilova. On her earlier records, like on 'New Amsterdam', or on 'The Spoils', she played a weird mix of lo-fi, noisy pop and industrial - from this era and style, I can recommend you her album with LA Vampires (it is also one of her best releases), and 'Burial Hex'. But after her album 'Stridulum', she turned into a more poppy, and radio-friendly style, but of course just as much as this kind of music can be poppy and radio friendly. Stridulum got me into her music, and I can advise everybody to start with it - the voice of Nika Roza is deep and strong, with full of secrets and promises (Okay, this sounds like gothish, and such, but I have to admit, that it's the TRUTH.), slow and hard hitting industrial beats, with the good use of synths, and the whole release has no weak points. But unfortunately, her latest release, 'Valusia' couldn't keep up the quality - Zola Jesus started using piano (Lightstick) and strings, it's just misses the heaviness and deepnes, what 'Stridulum' had. Still, I'm really curious about how her music will evolve, and really wait to hear more from her, because I think she is a very talented artist, and the deserves the attention.

Some songs:

(from 'Valusia')

(from 'Stridulum')

(from 'Stridulum')

(from 'LA Vampires meets Zola Jesus')

(from 'The Spoils')

:3

Sounds interesting. Will check out some of her earlier stuff.

He/she kinda did:

Some songs:

(from 'Valusia')

(from 'Stridulum')

(from 'Stridulum')

(from 'LA Vampires meets Zola Jesus')

(from 'The Spoils')

:3

It even says which albums the songs are from.

Oh, it was late at night when I wrote that. I didn't realize they were hyperlinks and thought they were simply underlined. I'll check them out now, thanks!

I love 'Night'.

But that's the only song I know. Is her album good?

So.. she's Russian/American? Why are those links in Japanese?

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zola_Jesus she has more official sources, so i'll go to those instead.

Ah sorry, it is my fault, I forgot to change the links. ^^;

@Tony: If you liked 'Night', you should check out her album, 'Stridulum', not only, because that song is included on the album, but also because it is one of her best releases, songs like 'I Can't Stand' are great.

Sign in to follow this