Sign in to follow this  
inartistic

Backing up PC

Having felt the sting of losing files once or twice, I started backing up my PC ~to the cloud~.

Up until now, I've used this backup service called mozy. Service was kind of clunky, but I paid only $5.99/month for unlimited backup storage, which seemed absolutely unbeatable to me. ...And unfortunately, I guess it really was unbeatable, 'cause they've just sent an email saying that $5.99/month will now be good for only 50GB. Which is absolutely nothing if you're backing up a whole PC (and I already have more than that stored).

So fuck them, I'll be cancelling my plan as soon as I get my shit, and I'll be letting them know as much.

But in the mean time, do any of you use a similar service/can any of you recommend a good service? (aka lots of space for poor college student)

I just back everything up on a 1tb network drive that we have shared for the entire house. The likelihood of my external drive (where I keep my important stuff) AND the network drive both dying is really slim.

I just back everything up on a 1tb network drive that we have shared for the entire house. The likelihood of my external drive (where I keep my important stuff) AND the network drive both dying is really slim.

Dying isn't the problem here, you want an off site back up. Your place gets broken in to, your place burns down...highly unlikely, but still very possible, and guess what, your data is gone.

Well since the external lives in my purse/backpack when I'm not at home... That's sort of offsite XD.

Edit: But I know what you're getting at, offsite storage isn't necessary for me because of my situation but I can see the advantages.

Sign in to follow this