Sign in to follow this  
plastic_rainbow

[Japanese Shoegaze] Post your recent discoveries

Post your recent Japanese shoegaze discoveries here, whether they're old or new~ ^^

COLLAPSE - These guys a pretty recent and dropped a new single earlier this year. They may be another shoegaze band with sugary female vocals, but they sound good!

溶けない名前 (tokenai namae) - A neat little band with both female and male vocalists. This is an older song of theirs so the composition is a little rough but I love the young and sweet-sounding male vocals here, which you don't hear very often in Japanese shoegaze. It's quite unfortunate that he does more of the back vocals now, it seems.

雨の中の馬 (amenonakanouma) - This was a random find on soundcloud. The quality is pretty low and fuzzy, but that's shoegaze/noise and self-recorded music for you. It's a rather simple song but surprisingly pleasing at the same time. I love it.

I'm gonna shill a couple of bands as well. Not all of them are necessarily recent discoveries, but still recommended listening.

The Earth Earth

These guys have apparently been around since 2010. I've only heard their album 'Dead Matador's Funeral,' but it's a pretty fucking good one! These guys also do the male/female vocals thing. They were on the cruyff in the bedroom tribute album if my memory serves me right. The band was still active on bandcamp as late as 2015, but beyond that I have no idea what these guys have been up to or whether they're even still together at all.

Check them out here: https://theearthearth.bandcamp.com

Spoiler

Oeil

A shoegaze band from Tokyo, apparently already around since 2006 or so. According to their own description, their sound's just as much influenced by obvious names such as MBV as by the new wave / darkwave genres. They're a male/female duo. 

Check them out here: https://oeil.bandcamp.com/

Taffy

A shoegaze and britpop-influenced band that sings in English. Their music has been distributed in both the UK and Europe through Club AC30, and (if the internet isn't lying to me) they've been featured in some form in NME apparently?? They're a recent discovery of mine, I quite dig them. I think they've only released two full-length albums and not much else otherwise, but I could be wrong. Their album Nyctophilia came out this year.

Check them out here: 

Spoiler

Honeydip

Yet another relatively recent discovery of mine. They're one of the more old-school Japanese shoegaze bands, having formed in 1996. They went on to change their name to Sugarcoat in 2002, but ended up splitting up the next year. They released at least 2 or 3 full-length albums before splitting up.

Check them out here:

Spoiler

Luminous Orange are genius!

Also, . . . . . . . . (dots) are a shoegaze idol group. Very underground. But they could turn into something.

Sign in to follow this