chemicalpictures

The biggest rock act in japan today

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone is able to provide an insight on what's the biggest rock thing in japan nowadays... I was thinking on hard evidence like popularity among regular peers, cd and concert sales numbers, tv show appearances, stuff like that, but since I can't read japanese I don't have the means to do a numbers research on the matter... I believe it's probably something like RADWIMPS, sakanaction, Bump of Chicken, B'z... but if any of you have more solid info on the matter and are willing to share, please do so!

I'm not sure what "nowadays" (only newer bands, active bands?) really means... but some of the best selling rock acts in Japan are B'z, Mr. Children, L'arc, Glay, X, Spitz...  as far as these acts pull in millions of dollars. I know when I traveled to Asia earlier this year One Ok Rock was all over the radio, so on the younger side I know they are probably doing quite well as they have no problem filling arena tours. 

I was surprised some of my kids actually know who ONE OK ROCK are. Uhm, does Man with a Mission count? Not super familiar with them, but my kids know them too. Otherwise it's all about the pop life.

I guess I didn't quite explain what I meant. With nowadays, I meant what is huge TODAY, with the public in general, not rock fans or young people or smth. bands that everyone knows, that are constanly hitting top 10 oricon charts in recent years, the salarymen knows, the waiter knows, the student knows. Always on the TV, and not only living on past sucesses, without any new hit in a while or so... This kind of band. Think Metallica or Coldplay or Foo Fighters eastern equivalent, but would be better if backed up by numbers

8 minutes ago, chemicalpictures said:

I guess I didn't quite explain what I meant. With nowadays, I meant what is huge TODAY, with the public in general, not rock fans or young people or smth. bands that everyone knows, that are constanly hitting top 10 oricon charts in recent years, the salarymen knows, the waiter knows, the student knows. Always on the TV, and not only living on past sucesses, without any new hit in a while or so... This kind of band. Think Metallica or Coldplay or Foo Fighters eastern equivalent, but would be better if backed up by numbers

All of the bands said above still apply then as far as I can tell. 

Edited by sume7

Just now, plastic_rainbow said:

not good evidence, but every time i ask a japanese person their favorite japanese band they usually say bump of chicken.

Yeah they were mentioned above as well.

Just now, plastic_rainbow said:

not good evidence, but every time i ask a japanese person their favorite japanese band they usually say bump of chicken.

Yeah, I wish I could find numbers to back that up, but I do think that by today's standards, are either them or RADWIMPS; I don't think B'z is still on their prime or OOK has reached that nirvana yet.

1 hour ago, chemicalpictures said:

90s kids: B'z

00s kids: Bump of Chicken

10s kids: ONE OK ROCK

still that XD

3 minutes ago, DarkWater said:

90s kids: B'z

00s kids: Bump of Chicken

10s kids: ONE OK ROCK

still that XD

But that's not the answer I'm looking for. I'm not looking for a demographic, I want a broader, 2016 view of what is trending RIGHT NOW. The band that is arguably, in the general consensus, the biggest act right now, if possible, with some numbers backing up the claim

and who are 10s kids? people born from 2010 on? what does that mean?

Just now, chemicalpictures said:

But that's not the answer I'm looking for. I'm not looking for a demographic, I want a broader, 2016 view of what is trending RIGHT NOW. The band that is arguably, in the general consensus, the biggest act right now, if possible, with some numbers backing up the claim

Well, check the oricon charts and you know.

47 minutes ago, chemicalpictures said:

Yes 10s kids are the current young generation.

If you want who sold the best so far this year it's artists like Gesu no Kiwami Otome, Bump of Chicken, Radwimps, Ikimono Gakari... Sekai No Owari still sell really well the year before. And if you look in the last 2 or 3 years all the older bands I already mentioned are still having number 1 hits/albums so they are still trending right now because they're still super popular.

On 01/11/2016 at 10:59 PM, chemicalpictures said:

You can always visit aramajapan.com for some 'evidence', as the guys there always post the Oricon data & such. ;)

These are some bands that are huge with the general public:

RADWIMPS

back number

Mr. Children

Southern All Stars

Man with a Mission

B'z

Sekai no Owari