Sign in to follow this  
Guest o hai itz will

Guitar Tunings

What tunings do you guys currently use? Right now I'm in Drop A#.

I love drop B. I was writing a lot of music like Hyena and such for a while, but naturally I wanted to get heavier. Drop B is pretty essential imo

Um... regular lol. Every now and then Drop D.

everything below drop C is for I BE METALZ posers.

>implying low tunings are exclusively for metal

you have much to learn kid

What is the purpose of changing tuning?

I've never played guitar, so you'll have to pardon the no0b question. If I had to guess, I would say that it alters the natural pitch of each string so their pitch without and fingers is different. Just curious since I like knowing how instruments work. We don't have anything, at least to my knowledge, similar to that in classical string instruments except for avant guard orchestras who purposely tune strangely. Damn hipsters.

Pretty much. It changes the pitch and can change a guitars sound entirely. It gives you more options really. Some people also experiment with tunings to come up with some cool sounds, and that's pretty sweet.

What are the normal intervals for each string? I'm assuming that a 6-string is standard and I vaguely remember a viola private teacher explaining that all of them are a 5th apart with the exception of one being a 4th. 6th.

you mean what are the tunings for each string in standard? If so that would be: EADGBe

and there are soooooo many more tunings. drop tunings etc.

Standard tuning is well...my standard tuning. I usually stick to this for the majority of the time, but do switch between a variation of dropped D or C.

I used to hate playing in a tuning other than standard, mostly because I started out on an acoustic, and it was just a bitch to switch back and forth between songs. But I've found it's totally worth it for finding that "right" sound you may be looking for. Also I have a awesome spider capo for my electric when I'm to lazy to manually re-tune.

spider_capo.jpg

well i think the best thing is getting a 7 strings :P u wont need to drop tunning unless u are playing a cover to some band

for me i got 7 strings and the tunning is AEADGBE

its soo kewl :P

changing all the time, my strat is at standart tuning, sometimes drop d, my les paul is at drop B and the baritoneguitar is pretty strange, that would be low string E (one octave below standart) then E one oktave above, then B, D, F#, B. playing some sludge with that one (dropped the 5string-bass to E aswell). got that idea after hearing the dir en grey - stalin cover. can do pretty freaky stuff with such f'cked up tuning...

now i still use E tuning because now i'm studying music composition in the university, but i use drop C or A#, regulary. i love the low tunings!

I've written songs for a variety of tunings... Regular, halfstep down, Drop D/C/B, and seven string regular tuning.

In the end it doesn't really matter. You just need to know what tuning fits best for the song you want to play or compose.

As a bassist though, I didn't develop a liking to Drop A, yet, though. But maybe my band doesn't really need that, anyway.

I like low tunings - except when it comes to bass ones

* Whacking Toshiya's 'telephone pole' *

Sticking to the standard and drop D, since I am currently practising on playing eins:vier, Kuroyume and Merry songs :domo:

Sign in to follow this