Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

Best new releases: March 2016

I hope more people will participate than last time (thank you, @beni XD), since this was a pretty cool/busy month imo.

The 'rules', in case anyone forgot:

The concept is simple: pick 3 releases (albums, EPs, singles or compilations), write why you like the album/why people should check it out and be cool. As you hear new albums of the month feel free to quote yourself, remove one and add the newest one instead of it. At the end of the month I'll make a new thread for the previous month. That's all.

Rules:
Post three albums each
Add a linke to your favourite track of the album. Do NOT embed youtube videos. Just link to the best song. Not everyone have decent computers to handle all the videos.

And that is basically it. Ask if there's something you're curious about.

Let's get started!

2a5ci95.jpg

MUNIMUNI - A KILLS A / You can't believe how much I waited for this release (well, any new release by them xD), and it sure delivered. Maybe I'm just biased, but this definitely touches AOTY territory for me, even if it's just a short EP of sorts. MUNIMUNI continue on the path of blurring early '80s goth rock and post-punk tendencies with a dark and obscure visual kei flair, wearing their influences on their sleeves. Great tunes, awesome atmosphere.

erycnn.jpg

Cobalt - Slow Forever / One of my friends turned me onto these guys at the beginning of the year, so my hype for the new album wasn't all that huge, but I guess it would be similar for an old listener like me with MUNIMUNI: this new (double) album dropped after 7 years of silence! What a gargantuan, monolithic beast! Mixing black metal, progessive traits and just general extreme aggression, Cobalt forge some ungodly aural behemoths. Not an easy record.

21kh3sh.jpg

Domo Genesis - Genesis / First full-length from the Odd Future dude, after a handful of mixtapes that didn't really grab my attention. I stumbled upon the music video totally by accident, but it dragged me in HARD. What a delicious funky tune! The rest of the album isn't too far behind in terms of grooviness, nor quality. Top-notch productions, some cool raps, and overall nice chillin' feeling. Perfect accompaniment to warm spring/summer afternoons and nights.

Honorable mentions

ギャロ (THE GALLO) - DIAVOLO / Typical gallo kei, only this time it's even better! Can't complain.

Guerrilla Toss - Eraser Stargazer / Totally crazy and funky noise-pop that fans of Melt-Banana and Afrirampo would dig.

Church of Misery - And Then There Were None... / Not as remarkable as their last effort, but solid nevertheless. Doom on!

Alrightey:

Esperanza Spalding - Emily's D+Evolution

216692.jpg

Beefheart-ish eccentrism meets otherwise very nostalgic, classic urban influences a la Stevie Wonder and so on. Surprisingly quirkier than her earlier efforts, which is always welcome in my book.

Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression

213622.jpg

Obvious Berlin-era Bowie-inspired effort on both Homme and Iggy's behalf, and considering this collab - you are ought to expect some obvious and cool inclinations of their respective projects and unique characteristics. Call it "...Like Clockwork" - Berlin edition, if you will - don't get triggered though!

Underworld - Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future

213484.jpg

If you, Underworld enthusiast, were so willing to see these guys back in their vital form - there you go! It's sorta divided nicely between their classic 'party mode' and more current "nightly ambiance", so it's given for some nice and fresh little details. For others who are not familiar with this act and this exact album: imagine if later YMO (HASYMO) channeled Boom Boom Satellites.

The last prominent highlight of mine is...(drumroll)

tokyo-jk-thumb-240xauto-42395.jpg

SEIKO OOMORI - TOKYO BLACK HOLE

(!!!)

Seiko's "Shouso Strip", as I'd name it. Whereas 'Sennou' was genius but had some severe issues with overall consistency - Seiko hired a nice, sorta prominent crew (Mito, Hisako Tabuchi - to name a few) to work on her latest effort together. The outcome? YUUUUGE (sorry, had to). There's a bit of familiar freak folk Seiko you've known from her earlier days, then there's some obvious anti-idol rampage, goofy 90s Spitz-y tributes and even Shibuya kei efforts that would even date back to ORIGINAL LOVE or even P5 days in one way or another! All in all, as much as one would loathe this artist - this chance should not be missed /massivehypeguy

Honorable ones:

Silent Siren - S

SHISHAMO - SHISHAMO 3

Akasick - Rinrin Fruits

Akai Kouen - Junjo Randoseru

Yakushimaru Experiment - Flying Tentacles (LOL?!)

I liked some stuff in March! (and I'm stealing your format jigsworth)

bodyfullofhell.jpg?dl=1

The Body/Full of Hell - One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache

The Body are my fave doom band going right now. They actually released this collab-album and a new one on their own in consecutive weeks in March (theirs being titled No One Deserves Happiness.... these titles alone should get you in the proper mood for their tunes.) No one pummels you over the head with utter bleakness like The Body... but they also have a knack for inserting just enough that's pretty/catchy to keep you coming back for more. The video for Fleshworks is a short, experimental tune that highlights both the chances these bands took in making this album and what typifies their sound.

ACyomigaeri.jpg?dl=1

Avelcain - Yomigaeri

I'm a fairly loyal Avelcain fan and I even think that their last year or so of releases (moon, beni, that minialbum) are pretty meh. The b-sides to Yomigaeri are way better than the Moon b-sides however. I don't think Wana can decide what kind of song it is, but I like it all the more for its scatter-brainedness. Unfortunately this may be the last Avelcain release that isn't some leftovers put out their for a final cash grab.

slimeseason33.jpg?dl=1

Young Thug - Slime Season 3

The third Slime Season mixtape isn't demonstrably different than the Young Thug sound you're used to.... but more of his fresh take on hip hop still hasn't gotten old. If you're a fan of well thought out, storytelling hip hop lovingly crafted over months or years than Young Thug definitely isn't for you. Each line he spits is definitely about a different subject than the one before it, his metaphors only make sense about 40% of the time, and his non-sequitur not-even-word yelps and other ad-libs are maybe the best part. Play this while driving in your car and give in to the ridiculous fun.

I really enjoy these threads and want to participate, but I just haven't checked out much new music in 2016. I think I've only checked out two releases from march, but I'll make an effort for a change.

It's taken quite some time to gather three releases for march as I barely have checked out any new music in 2016, but I am finally there and ready to join in on this topic.

26025_1_1.jpg

Blood Ceremony - Lords of Misrule

Blood Ceremony started out as a doom metal band and their debut album was very much a straight up doom metal album, but since then they've released three more albums and with every new album they takeb huge steps away from the doom metal-side of their early sound and walked deeper and deeper into the world of psychedelic and folk rock. The band already had a unique sound to begin with, and especially their second full-lenght, but with each release they've also become more unique and found their own unique and original sound.  Lords of Misrule sees Blood Ceremony at their most rockish, but they keep the Hammer Horror-inspired atmosphere and there's something very folk horror-esque about their sound, and now more than ever.  I just can't help but to think of films such as The Wicker Man, Blood on Satan's Claw and The Devil Rides Out when listening to this masterpiece. It's a bit early to tell, but after 10 listens or so I am confident that this is their best album till now.

Flower Phantoms

Ripper-Experiment-of-Existence-e14521281

Ripper - Experiment of Existence

I wasn't very impressed with Rippers debut album, Raising the Corpse, to be gin with, but with time I've really rearnt how to appreciate that album which made me really stoked for their follow-up, Experiment of Existence. And I was not let down at all. Ripper continue what they started on their debut, meaning furious death/thrash heavily inspired by the first few records by bands such as Kreator, Destruction, Sadus, Sepultura and Possessed. Fariyl straight-forward stuff, but it sounds great. Deadly riffing, angry vocals and great bassing. One of the things that truly helps set this apart from other death/thrash bands of today is the bass-player. There's something very Steve DiGiorgio- (Sadus, Death), Roger Patterson- (Atheist) esque over the bassing at times. Very cool stuff!

The Alpha Orions

artworks-000150254621-5bid7x-t500x500.jp

Davie Allan & Joel Grind split

What a surprise of a release this is. Three years after the release of Toxic Holocaust mainman Joel Grind's  The Yellowgoat Sessions under the name Joel Grind, he returns with a split with surf rock legend Davie Allan. The Yellowgoat Sessions was a black/speed metal album heavily inspired by Bathory, Venom, Bulldozer, Sodom, Midnight and more Motörhead, so that was what I expected from the next Joel Grind release as well. But this is pretty far from black/speed metal. This is sleazy, acid-drenched and fuzzed-out bikersploitation-influenced surf rock. Both artists contribute with two instrumentals each. The Davie Allan-side is pretty classic surf rock Davie Alan-style, heavy, catchy and fuckin' awesome. The Joel Grind-side leans a bit more towards metal, but without losing the surf rock-feeling of it all. A very cool release!

CHeck out Davie Allan's Recycled and Joel Grind's The Invisible Landscape here!

Next month will be easier as I've already got three fantastic albums ready. Yay!

AXGQmsZ.jpg

Stuck in November - First Slice Of Cake

First Slice Of Cake is the debut release of Indian match-rock trio Stuck in November. The production values are, not surprisingly, pretty lacking but the composition is absolutely on point. Admittedly there are a lot of promising young math bands cropping up these days so standing out from the crowd can be pretty difficult, but as far as debut releases go I'd say this is the most impressive one I've heard since 宇宙コンビニ. Hopefully they can keep up the good work and get some better production values going forward.

Bandcamp

Edited by Pho

Sign in to follow this