Sign in to follow this  
jurideluhi

Do Japanese people speak English?

Anyone been to Japan? In case if you don't know japanese language,how would you communicate with the citizens? Will they speak english to you if they know you're from a foreign country and does not know how to speak their mother tongue language?

I need to do a research little bit here and hence I'm asking here 8)

o btw,recently I received a mail message from a japanese friend.She messaged me in japanese texts :3 I guess she doesn't know me where I'm from :)

if i recall correctly, you went to Japan before don't you, Kachida?

i remember topic about yakuza you've posted on Dai's era TW

but to answer your questions, not many.

Same like Thailand, if you enter shops, some may able to speak basic English.

But if you, say get lost somewhere, not many people can help you,

most may raise their hand and swing it, saying "no, not me" gestures.

That's what i know from my short experience.

But maybe doe or arya or anybody else can help you better.

yes been there but not big cities like tokyo.Exchange money rates are really expensive in Japan D: Do not want to visit there unless I were rich. Anyways, I need others opinions as well. 8)

That sucks to hear because I experienced that. D:

yes, well at least they didn't randomly point me to some other directions that make me lost even deeper D:

sucks when that happened.

You can survive just fine in tokyo on english. There are a lot of gaijin here who don't know a lick of japanese and get by...I don't necessarily approve but being completely honest with you it's not like you will have major issues if you don't (at least as long as you're not planning on getting a job or something). It helps to know some basics in the language though. Most Japanese people can't speak english or well...they can in the sense that they've learned it but personally I understand their Japanese better than their english...so uh yea. That said for the most part they will try if you need help and they're extremely helpful if you get stuck in a jam, just learn the art of pointing, motioning at things and general charades xD Also since it is a metropolitan city most things are written in Japanese and English, Train announcements are in both as well...If you keep to Azabu Juuban, Roppongi, Mita that area down there...that's where most of the foreigners are and therefore most of the Japanese people who can speak very good english work in stores, restaurants etc and if you don't look Japanese, 8/10 they'll automatically transact in english anyway. Stray out of there and you'll have to work a bit harder but as long as you're in the major city area (not so much the suburbs) like I said you can make it work.

And yes the exchange rate is bullshit don't come unless you've got some serious cash. Tokyo's already friggin' expensive without the USdollar sucking, it's only getting sadder too, the estimated exchange rate my school is using for next semesters tuition is a cruel sick joke. xD

I once heard someone tell me that most people in Tokyo speak English (due to the language pretty much turning into the international trade language) but once you get outside of Tokyo not many people do. Is this true?

Been living in japan for soon 5 years and most people do definately not speak english in tokyo, i would guess that 85% is on the totally horrible level (the only english words you will hear them say is stuff like JAPANISU, goddamn, sex, MAI NEMU ISSU.., tom cruise and so on ^^), then the other 10% might be alittle better and know some more basic stuff, and 5% are pretty good. But like someone else said you will get by if you need help or anything like that, dont worry.

Out of the big cities i would guess 97% totally suck/dont speak at all.

So most japanese people do not speak english, which is because they have no interest in it. But you like already stated will get by, no problems ^^

welcome to japan!

You'd think that Japan of all places would really try to enforce English as a second language. Very interesting.

My friend goes to Tokyo about every year and says that Tokyo at least in the downtown touristy area you can get by fine without knowing Japanese. However she said you go off into the more back alley stores and restaurant (or small indie live houses) you may have more difficulties if you don't have any knowledge of the language.

^Oh I see..now only I understand how japanese education works :lol: just to pass exams etc. :mrgreen:

offtopic:I wonder if those cdjapan customer support really understands english well? :lol: I don't know whether they use a translator or what. But jeez. Why I'm asking myself because I still don't get a reply since yesterday. I mean rite after the cs mailed me,I mailed them after 5 minutes and I didn't get any reply after that.

with ur body language will be much better,to be honest.

after i said "nihongo ga daitai dekinai,can u speak in english?" the japanese tourist started to spelling a long long scripture to me = =||||||| i was frozen.

I was in Nagoya, and maybe it's because I'm Asian, but they didn't try to talk to me in English even when I obviously have weird Japanese, (except for this guy who helped me when I got lost, hahaha). But once I went to Tokyo, the difference was obvious. People are quicker to recognize that I was a foreigner and talk to me in English, even if it's just to say "yes", "no" or "okay", hahaha.

with ur body language will be much better,to be honest.

after i said "nihongo ga daitai dekinai,can u speak in english?" the japanese tourist started to spelling a long long scripture to me = =||||||| i was frozen.

lol.

usually very poorly, and even by Asian standards.

not all. come to malaysia and you'll see.

Sign in to follow this