Sign in to follow this  
Nagisa

"Spoilers"

I am curious as to what people think about "spoilers" (not sure if that is the right term) for music. If you are waiting for a CD and one or more songs can already be found online, would you listen to them? Do you listen to a CD beforehand to see if you want to shell out money for it? Also, if you buy your music digitally, do you listen to songs before buying them?

Do you look at lyrics beforehand to get a taste of the song(s)? Or a PV if it is out?

I'm curious because I listened to the album preview for DOGMA as well as OMINOUS several times and I think they kind of skewed what I thought of the songs once I finally got the CD. I will watch PVs because I usually don't buy versions with PVs included, but I won't listen to the song itself. I did that with DOGMA and it got me excited for the song without spoiling anything. It seems like there is a fine line between getting stoked for a new CD and listening to too much and diminishing the feeling of novelty when you finally get it. 

Personally, I don't think I will listen to entire songs in the future again. I think clips of the title track are okay, though. 

I am curious as to what people think about "spoilers" (not sure if that is the right term) for music. If you are waiting for a CD and one or more songs can already be found online, would you listen to them? Do you listen to a CD beforehand to see if you want to shell out money for it? Also, if you buy your music digitally, do you listen to songs before buying them?

If I'm waiting for a CD, I won't download the album unless the entire album leaks before I get my CD. In my mind I've already supported the band by purchasing the release. I don't buy CDs just for the music; I also like the way they look and the fact that I'm owning them.

I don't intentionally "try before I buy", but it tends to work itself out that way with Japanese music. There's no way in hell I'm spending upwards of $40 on a release from a band that may or may not disappoint me.

Do you look at lyrics beforehand to get a taste of the song(s)? Or a PV if it is out?

I don't read lyrics and I don't watch PVs all that much. Most of the time because it's not translated (or the translation isn't the greatest). When I do find them it's a nice addition but it is never necessary for me to enjoy the music.

I'm curious because I listened to the album preview for DOGMA as well as OMINOUS several times and I think they kind of skewed what I thought of the songs once I finally got the CD. I will watch PVs because I usually don't buy versions with PVs included, but I won't listen to the song itself. I did that with DOGMA and it got me excited for the song without spoiling anything. It seems like there is a fine line between getting stoked for a new CD and listening to too much and diminishing the feeling of novelty when you finally get it.

No they most definitely did that. It was intentional to get you to buy the album. That's what most singles and promotional materials are for.

It really depends on the artist. Certain artists I've been collecting cds from for a long time and good or bad, I don't care because I'm so biased towards them. I'll want the cd jacket, bonus dvds/materials, or whatever just because it's a favorite band of mine. So I buy them without even hearing previews half the time.

Bands that I'm not so familiar with I'll definitely need more than a 30 second preview to go on. Whether that's word of mouth from someone I trust to have similar taste as mine or listening to a rip before I buy it. If there are full music videos released I tend to use them to judge if I'm gonna a buy it.

For me, listening to a rip before my cd arrives isn't a spoiler. My first listening experience feels the same if it's from a rip or a disk. It doesn't effect my enjoyment at all.

When it comes to music, I'm very impatient.....So I really enjoy spoilers because the sooner its leaked, the sooner I can play it over and over and over. I really dislike having only the preview to listen to over and over.

I'd say spoilers don't really bother me. I always go for super slow shipping because it costs less, so I always download the leaks if they become available first. I tend to listen before I buy unless it's a new release from a band I know I really like because I don't have the funds to buy things willy-nilly. I'm not crazy about previews, I usually just listen to them once and then leave them alone because I'll start building up expectations for the what the rest of the song will sound like and then it'll be weird when I finally so listen to it.

Sign in to follow this