Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

#51: 鳥籠トロイメライ (torikago träumerei) by My Fairytale

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which band does My Fairytale look like here?

• amber gris
    • Moran
    • Chanty
    • They are just pure ART KEI!

alt_title
Artist: My Fairytale
Single: 鳥籠トロイメライ (torikago träumerei)
1. 鳥籠トロイメライ
2. トリックアート・ゴシック・マンション (trickart gothic mansion)
3. 白昼夢とアンソロジー(hakuchuumu to anthology)

Rating: :_7/10_: | Rejoice! Fresh new VK talent! Oh wait, they're going on hiatus...

My Fairytale is a newcomer to the VK scene, having formed in mid-2014. I first caught wind of them as I was crafting my 2014 EOTY list. To quote my colleague @Jigsaw9, their “IKEA kei” look lured me in and I decided to give their previews a listen on YouTube—let’s just say their Tokyo under note maxi-single was a last-minute entry to the “honorable mention” section of my list. Flash forward to summer 2015 and now, we have the band’s next single 鳥籠トロイメライ (torikago träumerei). This makes me happy not only because we get to hear more from them, but because they are the latest in the trend of VK bands using random German loan words—yasss, I mean, jasss! Even from the song titles, you can sense the sort of fanciful world My Fairytale is trying to conjure, so let’s travel down the rabbit hole!

Light as a feather, the title track begins with twinkling piano, compounded shortly after with an eruption of ethereal, twangy guitarwork and vibrant basslines. The bass is surprisingly prominent, considering the fact that their bassist left earlier this year due to the ever-original “musical differences.” Other highlights include a pleasant guitar solo and some bars featuring elegant waltz-y time signatures. Kudos to drummer Neo for this compositional beauty; he seems to do a lot of the heavy lifting in the band’s songwriting! Music aside, one of the best parts of the track (and the band, let’s be real) is vocalist Kate. I’ve probably overstated my preference on MH for clear, higher-pitched male vocals, but let it be known that Kate has quickly become a new favorite! In fact, with his voice and the soft, evocative music, I’d even argue that 'torikago träumerei" is an exemplary piece of modern “white kei.” The Zephyr fan inside me approves! Now, I just need a washed out, misty PV on a bright white backdrop and we’ll be all set.

alt_title

The delicate mood is shaken up with track two. “トリックアート・ゴシック・マンション (trickart gothic mansion)” features a steady electronic element throughout, calling to mind Moran’s heavy beat-driven tracks like “今夜、月の無い海岸で (tonight, at the seaside without the moon)”. My Fairytale’s take is a bit more mischievous sounding though, channeling hints of that LIPHLICH-esque cabaret atmosphere and chugging along with a groovy momentum that emanates throughout the track. Though there’s nothing to dislike here, the track is a bit one-note, not treading too much unpredictable territory. However, “trickart gothic mansion” does serve as an effective transition into the last track, which continues the dark, cheeky feel and infuses it with a zippy “Latin” vibe. Lively acoustic guitar graces us from the very beginning of the single’s closer, “白昼夢とアンソロジー(hakuchuumu to anthology),” making for a “shuffly” quality. One of my favorite parts of this song is the dramatic bridge before each chorus, featuring creepy melodies and epic drumming. The acoustic guitar solo and the following interlude are simple, but gorgeous and bring back the band’s signature piano. And there you have it!

Naturally, I gravitate mainly towards the title track, but I'm also starting to come around to tracks two and three. What becomes crystal clear with this single is that the band can dabble in any number of genres and still deliver beautiful music. After Tokyo under note, I thought their dark piano-driven sound would be their signature style. However, after listening to previews of their debut live-limited single and hearing torikago träumerei, My Fairytale appear intent on making the stylistic rounds--the way they are performing so far, I say, more power to them! I would say that it has me excited for whatever they do next, but @Trombe just broke the news that both guitarists are also departing and the band will go on hiatus. While this is pretty devastating, there might be a glimmer of hope, because drummer Neo (ostensibly, the lead composer) is still with the group. Will he and Kate be able to revive My Fairytale with new members? All I can say is I hope so. It would be a shame for yet another VK band with so much potential to dissolve before they even have a chance to soar.

What did you think of the single?

Support the band!

Purchase @ CDJapan

Purchase @ HMV

Purchase @ YesAsia

this is so cool, can't believe i haven't heard about them until now eventhough they're disbanding

this is so cool, can't believe i haven't heard about them until now eventhough they're disbanding

Don't jinx it! I'm naively believing this will just be a hiatus!

Be sure to check out the Tokyo under note single too :D

iirc, you've played music from this band on plug and I recall enjoying it.

Haven't heard this single, but that 3rd sample sounds pretty decent. I really admire their look in that pic btw - it's a bit subtle, yet striking and classy at the same time.

Don't jinx it! I'm naively believing this will just be a hiatus!

Be sure to check out the Tokyo under note single too :D

thank u! art kei isnt dead yet its JUST....ON....HIATUS.................:(

Sign in to follow this