Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Favourite and least favourite lyrical themes

Simple thread: what kind of lyrical themes do you like, and what do you dislike? Are there any themes that'll make you check out a band soley because of that, and are there any themes that'll keep you away from a band no matter how good the music is?

As for my favourite themes, I'll check out basically anything with themes of horror/exploitation films. I won't judge a band based on this, but I'll check them out just because of this.

I'm also quite a fan of the lyrics for many of the first wave of black/death metal bands, often dealing with satanism/blasphemy/occult/evil/gore. Bands such as Sodom, Slayer, Sepultura, Sarcofago, Sabbat, Mercyful Fate, Death, Morbid Angel and so on. The lyrics for many of these bands were poorly written and childish, but that was never a problem with me as lyrics isn't important to begin with.

Anything goes with me as far as lyrical themes goes, but least favourite is preachy religious stuff. I don't mind religious lyrics to begin with as they can be good and interesting and all that, but when it becomes too preachy I'll get a bit disgusted by it. But it won't keep me away if the music is good, I can easily overlook the lyrics. No problem at all.

Are there any themes that'll make you check out a band soley because of that, and are there any themes that'll keep you away from a band no matter how good the music is?

No because that'd be like preferring a band or disliking them based on how they dress..............

Oh..........

You can't fight crime if you ain't cute.

I tend to not even hear lyrics when listening to music, as strange as that is. I don't really have a subject matter I prefer, but I do have subjects I find quite distracting.

Like Bear, super preachy lyrics are a turn-off for me, as are incessantly vapid ones like this song.

Sign in to follow this