Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Porcelain Black (and the Tramps)

porc-300x225.jpg

I created a thread about her on the old TW forum. I've been following her for a few years, she was a MySpace "scene kid" star. But never released anything official.. but she has been signed onto a major record label and RedOne (who produced most of Lady Gaga's hits) is behind the helm on her debut record.

She's been tipped by many to be the next big thing. Her music back in the MySpace days was industrial-tinged rock, but if the new song is anything to go by, she's going after a much more polished sound. Many of her songs seem to centre around hating some bitch she don't like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg4OqU8O1WI <-- most popular of her myspace songs

<-- my favourite song of hers

<-- newest track, produced by RedOne

I've been following her since she debuted King of the World and unabashedly think she's fierce as hell. I love her. I can't wait for her to actually release something, and I'm pleased she hasn't abandoned her original sound altogether and become a replica GaGa.

I don't know where people are pulling this "too poppy" thing from already, considering most of her songs are a mixture of ("bubblegum") pop and industrial rock. I've always likened her music to a more aggressive Jakalope.

I think who's next is about as "heavy" as her other songs, all her songs have had pop influence. Who's next sticks very closely to a song like My Leftovers, it just has better production and crisper instruments. A "polished sound".

I just love the grittiness in her voice. But I liked the tramps better cuz they were original, more in effort in the music, blah blah blah

Yeah that's what I think. Its by no means a bad song, its just sounds so uninspired and boring compared to The Tramps. I don't think RedOne was a good match for her, he's done this sound to death for so many other artists. And a couple of simple guitar riffs doesn't make much of a difference.

I like her gritty voice, but I thought she always sung like that. When I re-listened to her older stuff, she actually uses a totally different voice most of the time. And it sounds better. The grit is good in doses, but not for a whole entire song.

"Who's next" is miles better than this song, so still have hope in the album.

new song, "naughty naughty"

2jO05vcWyN4

and live "mannequin factory"

Winp17rHD9g

I'm enjoying these songs for what they are - pop. Very, very good pop songs with incredible hooks. At least with Naughty Naughty some of her industrial influence is coming out.

But its making me realise I miss her PATT sound though, guitars in these songs have become background instruments.

Sign in to follow this