Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Best new releases: April 2015

I'll just do like Pretzels and quote myself:

The concept is simple: pick 3 releases (albums, EPs, singles or compilations), write why you like the album/why people should check it out and be cool. As you hear new albums of the month feel free to quote yourself, remove one and add the newest one instead of it. At the end of the month I'll make a new thread for the previous month. That's all.

Rules:

Post three albums each

Add a linke to your favourite track of the album. Do NOT embed youtube videos. Just link to the best song. Not everyone have decent computers to handle all the videos.

And that is basically it. Ask if there's something you're curious about.

I will post my list later, when I find out if I've even checked out three albums for april.

Another month, more good albums. I haven't checked out too many albums from april, but the few I have heard have been good. My all-time favourite band, Sigh, released a new fantastic album, Peste Noire released what should have been their previous album, Gruesome made a brilliant tribute to Death, Ghost Bath improved a lot on their debut and made a Deafheaven-gone-sad-kind of album, Drudkh went harsher and Luciferian Light Orchestra went retro. That's more or less the albums I've heard so far.

sigh-graveward.jpg?w=500

Sigh - Graveward

I'll start off by admiting that I was, and still am, slightly disappointed by this album. I am not disappointed because it is a bad album, because this right here, this is a bloody masterpiece. I am a bit disappointed because You Oshima lacks the character of Shinichi. And this is just another proof that you can be a great guitarist on a technical scale, but still not half the guitarist of more limited guitarist because you lack character. You have nothing that makes you stand out from other guitarists on your level. And I honestly believe that this album would've been much better with Shinichi. But let's not dwell on that. I have gotten used to the production which I felt was quite off to begin with, but while not great, it doesn't take anything away from the music. Graveward sounds like a mix of Hail Horror Hail, Gallows Gallery and King Diamond, and I really, really like it. Mastermind Mirai once again shows why he is one of the most unique songwriters within the realm of metal. Mirai called this Cinematic Horror Metal, and he's quite spot on with that. I'll also add that despite having over 100 different tracks, this is perhaps Sigh's most easy album to get into together with Hangman's Hymn and Scorn Defeat, which came as quite a surprise. Another great album by a beyond fantastic band.

The Tombfiller

tIZYqOa.jpg

Peste Noire - La Chaise-Dyable

Peste Noire started out as a black metal band, and played something I call medieval black metal on their debut before going rougher with their follow-up, then starting to experiment and go in a more mad, crazy avant-garde-esque direction. And up until their previous album, the self-titled Peste Noire, the band had been changing drastic with each release. Peste Noire was good, but not as good as I had expected, and they failed to evolve with the album. It was just a mix of their previous album, and that greatly disappointed me because I had expected something crazier. But to my big surprise, they went in that direction again with this album, and this is the album which should've followed L'Ordure à l'état Pur, not Peste Noire. Anotier unique effort who'll split the fanbase even more. I love this, and I can't get enough of this madness. Hooligan black metal!

Le dernier putsch

2mo585y.jpg

Luciferian Light Orchestra - Luciferian Light Orchestra

Luciferian Light Orchestra is the new band of Therion's Christofer Johnsson, consisting of songs written over a long period of time but which didn't fit into Therion. This is what Therion would've sounded like if they existed in the 70's. The band plays a form for poppy, occult 70's rock, which isn't very unique to be honest, but the Therion-esque feeling makes them stand out from the crowd. It's catchy, yet a bit challenging here and there, so there's more than enough to dig into after a few listens. If you like Therion, Year of the Goat, Purson and the likes, this just might be your cup of tea.

Dr. Fuast on Capri

Still haven't heard the new Acid Witch, Deathhammer (if this was even released? No idea!) and Aek Gwi yet, though. I have the feeling all these will be great. I can see some of this challening for a spot on my list.

Could barely scratch together 3-5 releases that I liked, let alone a top 3, heh. But here it goes:

Tremors+terriblefeelings__front.jpg

Terrible Feelings - Tremors / I can hardly put it into words how awesome this album is. Kickass melodic pop-punk-rock with gorgeous vocals that always manages to get my blood pumpin' and put a smile on my face. The Swedish cannot fail in this department!

A+Legszebb+veink+a2117767557_10.jpg

Szabó Benedek és a Galaxisok - A legszebb éveink / Discovered this neat singer-songwriter totally by accident, and completely fell in love with his latest full-length. Very smart and genuine lyrics, and excellent compact arrangements.

Wind+and+Shadows+W4QAz0253sA.jpg

Cemetery - Wind and Shadows / Sick and dark goth-punk/deathrock just how I like it. Trademark fuzzy guitar weeping and moaning/howling vocals encased in just the right amount of grimey production to make it work. Solid, especially for a debut album.

I liked a lot of singles last month, albums? Not so much. Right now I got 2 and can hopefully come back with a 3rd as I listen to a bit more this month...

10rk4yp.jpg

Sworn In - The Lovers / The Devil

I heard this band a handful of times before this release and wasn't very impressed, they blend in with a ton of other American metalcore bands. But after seeing them live last year I earned a new respect for them. Their energy definitely carries over better live, and it's basically the entire reason I made it a point to check out this release. I can't say if I can honestly tell any growth in their songwriting from the previous album, but I can say they got with a producer that knew how to make them sound much more balanced. And this album makes me look forward to the next time I can see them play.

Check: Oliolioxinfree

2aa0djc.jpg

Dance Gavin Dance - Instant Gratification

I was one of the many that walked away from this band when Jonny Craig left. I've followed Jonny's career ever since. But an old itch came back when I heard about this album coming out. I missed their quirky brand of math-y post-hardcore and hadn't really found a good replacement in Jonny's new projects, though many of them have become faves in their own rights they just didn't fill the hole this band left for me. This album didn't disappoint, either. And while it's missing the touch of soul Jonny added, Tilian Pearson really sounds awesome with them. It's good to be back.

Check: Stroke God, Millionaire

Sign in to follow this