Sign in to follow this  
Renge

Where do I start?

Hi! I've only recently gotten into vk (and j-rock in general) so I don't have much clue where to start; here's what I have currently.

PlQi5M7.jpg

These are mostly recommendations from a friend who likes vk (MeteoroiD is a random download from the visual kei section here.) The only one I already knew is Dir en grey - I'd heard of Malice Mizer, but never heard their music.) My problem is that, having heard an album or EP from each, I liked everything I heard. DEATHGAZE, MEJIBRAY and DEG were my favourites. What do I get now? There are so many visual kei bands and I don't know where to really start. I want to get a feel for the different styles within visual kei, but I don't really know any resources.

I was hoping yall could suggest some good bands, albums etc (or maybe resources) to help me get more into vk.

thx! c:

My problem is that, having heard an album or EP from each, I liked everything I heard. DEATHGAZE, MEJIBRAY and DEG were my favourites. What do I get now?

If you liked what you heard from each band, keep going through their discography.

i suggest you to dig for similar bands on last.fm, it´s pretty convient. also there´s a lot of information here. although don´t just stick with visual kei, jap music has so many varieties to offer ;) good luck!

Something you could also do is keep an eye on the status updates here. We usually go on the site plug.dj 1-2 times a week and that's a really great way to discover new bands.

i suggest you to dig for similar bands on last.fm, it´s pretty convient. also there´s a lot of information here. although don´t just stick with visual kei, jap music has so many varieties to offer ;) good luck!

Wasn't planning on sticking solely with visual kei, but that's the style I've only recently become interested in. I've liked a lot of Japanese post-rock and shoegaze for years lol

Something you could also do is keep an eye on the status updates here. We usually go on the site plug.dj 1-2 times a week and that's a really great way to discover new bands.

Thanks! :D

The only comment I can make is to sample a bit from all eras of visual kei. Every decade comes with it's own sounds, styles, and aesthetics. You may discover you like old-school more than you thought, or that the newer metalcore stuff is your preference, etc.

The only comment I can make is to sample a bit from all eras of visual kei. Every decade comes with it's own sounds, styles, and aesthetics. You may discover you like old-school more than you thought, or that the newer metalcore stuff is your preference, etc.

Cool. Is there 70s and 80s visual kei? I've never heard of a band that goes that far back, only to the early 90s.

Mid to late 80's is where you'll find the oldest music generally classified as visual kei. D'ERLANGER, X Japan, COLOR, perhaps DEAD END and BUCK-TICK. But even at this point it starts to merge with hair metal and glam rock styles, and even a bit of goth and new wave with some groups. Early 90's as you say is when it became more recognizable as visual kei we know today.

Well, you could start at the early stages if you fancy that. Most who get into Japanese visual rock start in the modern era but there really is no general set of rules. Just listen and explore as you please.

I know bands like Buck-Tick and D'erlanger started in the 80s... Both have lots of great music too.

Edit: Sorry, I was too slow to see the previous post. X"D

Also, I'd just like to say... a lot of the news threads here have video samples. So you can preview all the bands that are releasing music and see what you like that way as well. That's basically what I do.

Sign in to follow this