Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

#21: フラスコを振ると天秤揺れた by Develop one's faculties

MH Questionnaire of the Week (with 30% more sass!)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How hyped were you for Develop one's faculties?

• I was the little train that could that wanted to be a plane and is now in orbit around Alpha Centauri. AKA REALLY FUCKIN STOKED
    • They caught my eye too but I'm all aboard the hype train.
    • Just another average visual kei band. They sound okay I guess?
    • Not really feeling it. Only like one of the two tracks.
    • I'm an independent cock lober that don't need no faculties developed.

alt_title
Artist: Develop one's faculties
Single: フラスコを振ると天秤揺れた
Score: :_5/10_:
Could be better but could be much, much worse.

When two members from cocklobin form a band together, I'm almost obligated to check it out. It's reasonable to expect at least cocklobin levels of quality in the music and the previews for フラスコを振ると天秤揺れた were intriguing. I'm not quite sure what direction I was expecting フラスコを振ると天秤揺れた to go in, or what to expect from Develop one's faculties, but this wasn't it.

Now before the hype train leaves the station, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that this is something different. In a scene where bands can and will play almost any type of music, it's hard to find a good, honest rock band. Both tracks are good, although I prefer the second track "結果論". The way they blend electronic feedback with noise into their rock groove is something visual kei definitely could use more of. The single itself has overtones of LIPHLICH crossed with amber gris on a heavy day, but doesn't sound too much like either. Its indie sensibilities also lend the song a vibe uncharacteristic of the scene with husky vocals to remind the listener that this is a visual kei band. yuya doesn't have the strongest vocals, but he has control, can harmonize, and it goes well with the music. I can't say if DOF has the chops to become the flagship rock visual kei band in a few years, but they are worth keeping an eye on.

The bad news is that フラスコを振ると天秤揺れた isn't a strong first impression. Two tracks are not a good enough yardstick to measure this band's potential. In this case, it would have been better if their first release was a mini album. Then they would have had more chances to refine their sound and win the listener over. What I heard on the single caught my passive interest. I don't find either song memorable in the long run and I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it again. I would even go as far to say that I only remember this band for who their members have played with and not their own music. For a first single, that quality is undesirable. In all honesty, DOF might drop off my radar as 2015 progresses unless they aggressively promote themselves and drop the mini album this should have been by early fall.

This isn't the brazen first release that was devils in bedside or Dark Design Catalog, but フラスコを振ると天秤揺れた was good enough. I was expecting more from DOF based on the two ex-cocklobin members, but I'm well aware I wouldn't have paid attention to them without the association in the first place. It's not often that I get to say that the worst thing about a new visual kei band is their name. DOF has plenty of room to progress and seem to have a knack for melodies and experimentation. The music just needs a good layer of polish.

No comments yet? Come on, people!

I didn't follow cocklobin, but I checked this out because the previews sparked my attention. While I wasn't too impressed with the single as a whole (I agree with your rating), the band is decently refreshing for the scene. I wouldn't mind checking out whatever they put out next; hopefully, they improve!

It's a pretty neat single, something kinda fresh sounding in the sea of dumbed-down-core kei bands. It's not too memorable, that's for sure though.

My rating would be a solid :3.0: and looking forward to their future activities!

I have to admit, while I do like cocklobin and give them a listen from time to time, I first heard of Develop one's faculties thanks to the draft of your review Zeus! I've just read the band member connections, such as Chemical Pictures. Awesome! It's rare I'll give a new band a listen if I'm totally honest with you now. I prefer waiting for an album release or, at the very least, a mini-album. Singles end way too quickly!!

I'm listening to the single right now and I'm loving the opening beat and progression throughout the first track. I might actually have to spin this on repeat some time! The second track is just as chill sounding, and I'm digging yuya's vocals. Your review is brilliantly done and I agree with the rating. I think I'll have to look out for more releases from these guys, and also, new bands in general. I need to give singles more chances and first listens.

Sign in to follow this