Sign in to follow this  
Tony

M.I.A.

mia420.jpg

Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam (Tamil: ??????? '????' ?????????????; born 18 July 1975),[1]? better known by her stage name M.I.A., is a Sri Lankan songwriter, record producer, singer, rapper, fashion designer, visual artist, and political activist.

She attended Ricards Lodge High School, which is in Wimbledon and in an interview said it was a school 'full of liars and BSers.'- Josie Crandley.

An accomplished visual artist by 2002, M.I.A. came to prominence in early 2004 through file-sharing of her singles "Galang" and "Sunshowers" on the Internet.[3] She released her Mercury Prize-nominated debut album Arular in 2005. Her second album, Kala, was released in 2007 and obtained Gold status in the United States according to the RIAA. "Paper Planes", a track from this album became a chart favourite in 2008. She has been nominated for two Grammy Awards and an Academy Award.

Her compositions have been noted to encompass various genres, often with political lyricism and artwork. M.I.A. has described her music style as being "other".[4] In addition to her work as a graphic designer, providing artwork and photography for releases and as a director of music videos, she has also experimented with documentary film and in 2008 released a collection of her fashion designs. She is the founder of the record label N.E.E.T.

In 2009, Time magazine placed M.I.A. in the Time 100 list of "World's Most Influential people" for having "global influence across many genres".[5]

Her music is best described as alternative electronic hip-hop/rap. She's most famous for "Paper Planes" which was featured in Slumdog Millionaire.

Her new album "Maya" leaked recently and its an awesome listen from start to finish. Different from Kala, but a good different. Favourite songs from it are "XXXO", "Born Free", "Steppin' Up", "Lovalot" and "It Takes a Muscle".

Any other fans? What did you think of her latest album?

It really is a great album. More dance/club orientated this time around, but still some sick beats and rhymes. She's quickly becoming my favourite hip-hop artist. <3

Make sure you listen :D

is this already released? :o

i thought it will be in July 13th?

I haven't hear any snippets but the two previous singles,

Those were awesome, i need to hear more.

Despite her publicity stunt by doing some rivalry against GaGa, i know she will doing something massive with every of her albums. So i am really hyped for it.

EDIT:

i finally tempted to download it,

And i wasn't too impressed with the new album :(

It's dull awful, though some number still offers some awesomeness such as Meds and Feds.

But it still no competition from anything from Arular and Kala.

Arular is the best release she ever release so far, and perhaps forever.

So far this release a miss for me, will see after it's growing on me.

Also Tony, doesn't Maya based in U.K instead of America?

You have to give it a few listens, a lot of the songs do grow on you. I've never found her music awesome on first listen, it takes some time to appreciate but she always has those few tracks that you love right from the first listen.

And yeah, she's based in the UK.

"M.I.A. you know who I aaammm" - love that line, and those drill noises. Who would have thought drills in songs sounded good? haha

Just finished listening to it and honestly I loved it from first listen. You're right it's different but in a good way. It feels a bit more polished definitely more dancey but It still retains her style. Love it. My favorite songs would have to be "Steppin' Up", "xxxo", "Lovalot", "Born Free", "Meds and Feds" and "space"

"Lovalot" is fantastic, can't get enough of it at the moment. Possibly her best rap yet.

Alright, it's been awhile since i am hearing her new album, /\/\/\Y/\

And i am not impressed.

Why?

Here's why:

poor production.

She is different now, i mean the way she recording an album.

Unlike here two previous albums, this time she seems just make an album that sells.

to make a follow up for her paper planes fame in the US. too many garbage i find in here.

To be fair, lyrically she is still brilliant but musically, hell no.

some songs still had her signature sounds, but rest need to be forgotten quickly.

since those even worst than paper planes. plain, boring, tasteless, vanilla music.

no more twists, or big beats. Just rage rage rage. plain one.

and she is not the best one that doing this kind of thing.

its transition from the seething multicultural production stew of her first two albums, dropping baille funk and sub-continental rhythms for a pulsing factory aesthetic, makes it sound flatly grim and often willfully unpleasant.

it makes me believe she is not the only brains behind her albums.

But also Diplo, he is only did two song in this current album and that's why this album sounds out of directions.

I still enjoyed nevertheless, but as much as i did with here previous two that ever so brilliant.

xxxo, lovalot, meds and feds, teqilla and born free are the highlights from /\/\/\Y/\

the rest i don't give a damn with.

she can do better than this.

Guest 膣分泌液

I agree with her policy on ginger people. Not a fan of her music though.

Sign in to follow this