VisualKEIcrasher

Assemble your dream band.

The Dainippon Smooth Jazz Collective

Vo. chihiro (Jill-decoy Association)
Gt. kubota (Jill-decoy Association)
Gt., Vo. Maron Hamada
Gt. Aradate Daisuke (8-eit, tsubaki-VOICE-)
Ba. Seiji Kameda (Tokyo Jihen)
Key. Masayuki Hasuo (school food punishment, LAGITAGIDA)
Dr. Midorin (SOIL&"PIMP" SESSIONS)

Genre: big band jazz. lounge jazz, poppy jazz, jazz rock, you name it they could play it.

Why: One dedicated vocalist, one backup vocalist to harmonize when appropriate. Chihiro is one of my favorite female jazz performers and her expressive, soothing vocals are perfect for the jazz music I have in mind. Maron Hamada's lower range will contrast nicely with Chihiro's higher range when appropriate. Three guitarists, so one can handle the rhythm section with the bass while the other two play the melody or lead. Duties can switch between them all so nobody is the "star" guitarist, although I suppose Hamada would play rhythm most often. Daisuke usually alternates between rhythm and lead guitar in his music so that should be easy for him here. I chose kubota from JDA simply because he's nice with the guitar and will bring a lot of the jazz feeling to the band along with the drummer from S&P, who I chose because he's used to drumming with a lot of musicians at once. Hasuo takes care of the ambiance and setting the mood with his keyboard. Kameda's bass lines from Tokyo Jihen are just so natural so I think he would bring a lot of groove to the music which would be necessary to keep everything together.

Tokyo Jisatsu (東京自殺) 

Vo., Gt. Junichi Konno (-Karasu-)

Gt., bg vo. Yoshimitsu Taki (9mm Parabellum Bullet)

Ba. Tokie (Unkie)

Key. H ZETT M (various, incl. Tokyo Jihen)

Dr. Nero (Merry)

Genre: post-hardcore, jazz punk, jazz rock, math rock...you know the drill, if you recognize these guys :)

Why: cheeky people might be already pointing out that "hey Prets, you basically made fun of Tokyo Jihen's name" - no, I had no intention to "ruin" TJ's name that way. What I intended was basically hinting on the direction this band could take at first: dark, fast-paced version of something you would imagine bands like TJ playing (perhaps even to the point of 385/Midori-ish frenzy).

For me Junichi is one of the most ideal vocalists when it comes to performing fast-paced, raw but still melodic takes (a la Karasu's usual post-hc/punk-influenced soundscape). His minor-based, varying guitar techniques will contrast perfectly with Yoshimitsu's "heavier" /"fiercer" playing - no wonder that I intentionally picked guitarists that sorta represent the same direction...ish. When it comes to Tokie and Nero, the way they showcase their respective rhythmic instruments, will totally go hand in hand and probably even result in something more "far-out but still familiar". How about HZM? I can see already a few people who might disagree with me when it comes to placing him in such "raw, fierce and fast" act - but don't you ever forget his brilliance @ Ringo Shiina's "Electric Mole" DVD (the zenith of his variety tbqh)! Seriously though, I felt like hearing HZM being the "inlet of melody" in the midst of all that kalamazoo caused by Nero's drumming, Tokie's fired up bass picking and guitarists' audio havoc.

To elucidate all of this for tl;dr-ers, the main sound for "Tokyo Jisatsu" would be almost close to these samples/songs :

(majority of "Under-world" goes as well) and Mayonaka wa Junketsu's Electric Mole version (if it were faster and "punkier"), which I unfortunately couldn't find in YT...