Flame-X

Cameras

So let's talk cameras. :D

I'm sure some of you here are amateurs or professional photographers/videographers. I need some recommendation on near pro-level cameras mainly for video recording. For the budget, Canon EOS M & Sony NEX-6 has been on my mind. What do you guys think? If not these, anything else you have in mind?

Also, share with us your equipments and experiences. If you like, post some of your shots here.

I have a Canon EOS 600D (or EOS Rebel T3i, as it is called in North America), which as I understand it, is basically Canon's middle tier DSLR. (The high tier DSLRs were too expensive for me, but I felt confident that I could skip the beginner-tier)

I bought it 2 years ago, so it's not the newest model anymore, and it cost me about 800 Euro back then (that's roughly 1000 USD).

I'm pretty happy with it, but then again, it's my first DSLR, so I can't really compare it to other models. I mostly use it for outdoors photography when hiking.

Here's some photos at different levels of ambient light. These are prior to any post-editing and in their original size (so warning, large files): here, here and here.

I also don't claim to be a great photographer when it comes to getting the settings right. XD

The funcion I absolutely love about the camera is the fact that it has automatic exposure bracketing, ie. it can automatically take 3 photos in quick succession with different exposures (normal, overexposed, underexposed). These can be used to create absolutely georgous HDR images in post-editing. When I take photos while hiking I never use anything but exposure bracketing.

Here's some examples of the finished product after merging and editing:

559652_357849984275236_1412479768_n.jpg

550173_467418113318422_715459003_n.jpg?o

574813_357849774275257_2021019258_n.jpg

64787_482012575192309_1548015913_n.jpg

I can't really tell you much about the video function as I barely use it, but it's in HD and looks nice enough. Here's a short clip I took during a winter hike. (Make sure to enable HD in the video - obviously it's still compressed compared to the original file though)

Back in my college days, I always checked out the Nikon D90 which was my first time handling a DSLR. When I took my first shot using that thing, I was blown away by how phenomenal the picture quality looked. Since then, I'm all about manual settings. I find it weird how the price hasn't gone down much considering the age of Nikon D90. Still around $800+ price range.

My current camcorder is Canon Vixia HF200. It's a decent cam for home or family video usage. The biggest flaw with this gadget is low light shots that makes the footage grainy and noisy. Here's a sample video using the camera to do a gunpla build montage. XD

I'm no camera expert but my husband is and has over 100 cameras new and old.  His favorite is Pantex KX, both DSLR and 35mm SLR.  He also recommends the Sony NEX-6 because most Sony cameras can use Minolta lenses, which are his favorite because you can use lenses from the 1980's and up.  But here is a shot from his Olympus E-510 which is digital:

164090_1614618438519_7242435_n.jpg

And he is one from his Pantax SLR:

166345_1647716945961_4982690_n.jpg?oh=72

It was scanned onto the computer.

Just thought I would share.... ^^;

I dig that Pantax shot a lot.  I don't know a lot about cameras, but I felt compelled to say so.

*performs CPR* Yo!

I am one of those who doesn't own a camera bag - and honestly, I don't even want it, because I have been thinking about DIY camera/day bag. Couple of years ago I bought this as my school bag, but now it has been sitting in my closet dusting. Actually just yesterday I remembered this bag's existence, and realized that this might be quite perfect for the purpose I was thinking of. It has two separate sections (separated by some padded material); the other one (first time noticing, I see I have stuffed my laptop into a small backpack while sweating for no reason?!) is meant for a laptop.

Now, I was thinking about removing the padded fabric and get it into three parts so that there will be three sections (instead of two long horizontal sections, I want three small departments vertically). One, thinner one, would have enough space for water bottle, the middle part would be for my SLR and the third part would be for my tablet and other stuff. Water bottle and electronics in the same bag? I was thinking about sewing and connecting a bag made of some soft + water resistant fabric which could be closed. TBH, I have no idea how this would work in real life, but you never know until you try! Now I need to do is work out what kind of stuffing there should be in the camera section. D:

But yeah, I wanted to work on a cheap bag which would look like a normal school/day bag. I especially like the bag because it has a zipper and locking buckle closures together! Also, this bag was thought of in a travelling POV. This material is quite good for when it is raining as well!

Any pointers... or anything else to say?

PS. I shoot very, very, very rarely, which you can see from my Flickr. I am feeling like it's going to change though!

x2 on the SONY NEX Series. The whole mirrorless concept is just hnng.

I still have my NEX-3 from long ago and am just acquiring an NEX-5N (used of course), and the best part is that NEW OR OLD, the lenses are interchangeable with little to no hassle.

Should I acquire an ALPHA Series, I could bring all my lenses over and use them too.

I can vouch for the DSLR lineup right now from SONY being top notch. ISO is second to none.

The support for the lenses is insane too (at least right now). Keep in mind, SONY pretty much abandoned the NEX lineup for the new ALPHA series.

The only thing I will point out and I'm sure any other NEX owner can vouch, is the loud shutter. Personally, if I'm going to use a camera, I want people to notice and move the hell out of the way so I can take my picture. Although there are others who want to shoot photos and ninja out of there. Also the auto settings can be a pain for a rookie.

Video on the earlier NEX models were lackluster until about the 5N (1080p).

My question for you is: HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO SPEND?

For a beginner looking for a DSLR for everything, I HIGHLY recommend the SONY a5100 (Alpha Series). I used that thing and almost drooled from satisfaction haha. Basically tore apart the BEST components from the NEX lineup and shoved it into that DSLR.

My film camera gear:

bvsVrAJ.jpg

Minolta Maxxum 5 35mm SLR, from circa 2000 probably. I got this from my grandma when she passed away, and only used it briefly before getting the Zorki.

H9MMBmv.jpg

My pride and joy when it comes to cameras: Zorki 4 rangefinder body, made in 1972. Jupiter-8 50mm f/2 lens, made in 1962. (both in the USSR)

Also pictured: my favorite film; Ilford HP5 Plus black and white film

6OMs9IJ.jpg

Sekonic analog lightmeter, made in Japan some time in the 1970s. :lolita_love:

As far as digital goes, it isn't mine, but I have basically free access to my dad's Canon EOS 70D. :lolita_happy: