Champ213

The Folk Metal Thread

HEY! LOL, a thought came to mind last night. Is there even such a thing as American Folk or Pagan metal? I ask this because Pagan Fest III is going through the US and they have an American band called Huntress with them. I checked them out on YouTube and they're more like a Heavy/Thrash metal band and not really Folk metal in my opinion. (it's pretty terrible)

Has anyone actually heard an American Folk Metal band before? Send me links? Is it even possible LOL? I mean, we don't really have that rich history like Europe does, we were founded by a bunch of puritans. Sure we have the Native American population that we exploited but a bunch of white people dressed in a feather head dress singing about how the white man fucked them over is just dumb and I wouldn't be able to listen to it.

Agalloch!

http://www.last.fm/music/Agalloch

DlKzz78hj60

Not the most straightforward folk metal, but they have folky elements.

I'm sure there are more, give me a moment to think about it. ;) Though most of them point back towards the european heritage of their ancestors. "Native american folk metal", now that would be interesting, but I don't know any from North America. But there are a few from South America. I will try to find them again.

As for "pagan metal" just like "viking metal" (or "christian metal", lol) I guess it's really just based on lyrical themes and imagery. For musical classifications it's not really a useful label.

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, I want to listen to Inca Metal THAT SOUNDS AWESOME. I'm at work right now so I can't listen to these at the moment bwwwaaaa D; I've actually heard Nekrogoblincon before but I thought they were a joke band.

Okay, this is cool. I've listened to Agalloch, they're from Portland or something and they really seem to capture the gloomy rainy overcast feel of this area. I only own one album from them though but their music kind of left me with that impression. I guess they're not the kind of Folk I am used to hearing from Europe with lots of banjos, flutes and yodeling.

I've actually heard Nekrogoblincon before but I thought they were more of a joke band

Well, they are. Nevertheless they actually make pretty cool music. And bands like Alestorm and Finntroll don't exactly seem to be 100% serious either. ;)

I could also sing about all three and that would be really really dumb.

I would buy it instantly. :lol:

Then again, does Folk Metal have to be exclusive to certain nationalities? I guess not and saying that or thinking that creates limits that really shouldn't be there.

I don't think so either. There's a japanese band that plays celtic folk metal and sings about Odin. Which doesn't make a lot of sense since Japanese obviously aren't Celts, and Celts didn't worship Odin. So that's a bit odd (reverse-weeabo? :lol:), but honestly, it's fine with me. Whatever floats their (dragon) boat.

You can't really argue with lineage and heritage anyway. It's not like Europeans are all purebred or can even trace back their individual lineage back to pre-christian times.

I guess since folk metal is also very nature-focused, it's nice if there is a certain connection between the music and the land you're living in, like you said with Agalloch and Portland. If you're sitting somewhere in sunny Florida and sing about about wandering through the dark snowy forests it may seem odd. But as long as they can pull it off, I wouldn't care. For example, there's a very nifty melodic black metal band called Winterhorde, and they sound like they're from northernmost North of northern Scandinavia, when they're actually from.... Israel.

Haaaaaaaaaaa, yeah that's pretty funny but y'know I was actually thinking about that Japanese band when I was replying, I remember you had posted something about them but I don't think I ever listened to them.

That's also very true, I wasn't really trying to imply that either with my initial comment. With the US, we tend to promote that we're a mixing pot because we're primarily made up of immigrants from all over the globe. I think this is kind of an American thing but because of that when you ask someone what their background is no one will say they're American.

I knew a girl in school who claimed she was Asian because she was a quarter Native American (everyone always has some Native American in them it seems) and since Native Americans originally came over from the land bridge during the ice age from Asia THAT MAKES HER ASIAN. Well then shit, since humans are said to originate from Africa that must mean I'm also African right????? Time to start claiming minority status!!!

Just thought I would throw this hear cause it made me laugh.

New Eluveitie song:

_1lXdLus2WI

Blood Stain Child's Metropolice:

yQhRS-4NXiE

I haven't yet, but I'm eager to hear it. Four weeks until it's released here, can't wait! But I think I won't download the leaked one.

Still, if somebody listened to it already, I'd be interested in something: Is the whole album sung in English or are there any tracks with Gaulish lyrics?

If the tracklist is any indication, it will probably include songs in gaulish as well:

01 – Prologue

02 – Helvetios

03 – Luxtos

04 – Home

05 – Santonian Shores

06 – Scorched Earth

07 – Meet The Enemy

08 – Neverland

09 – A Rose For Epona

10 – Havoc

11 – The Uprising

12 – Hope

13 – The Siege

14 – Alesia

15 – Tullianum

16 – Uxellodunon

17 – Epilogue

Picked up Ensiferum's new album today. Didn't realise they had one until a couple of days ago. On the first listen I think it is somewhat forgettable and definitely not their best work.

It's not folk metal but Falkenbach released a new album this year. After the very uninspired and disappointing Tiurida they seem to be back on track. They've gone more back to their roots this time and included way more black metal in the sound again. This might be their best albums since ...Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri..., but I need to give it time and see how it stands the test of time.

Thyrfing isn't folk metal either, and isn't really a viking metal band anymore either. They've included more viking metal in their sound this time than on the past two album, but I thought De ödeslösa was a bit of a disappointment. It's not bad, it's just not all that great either. And after releasing their two best albums to date in form of Farsotstider and Hels Vite I expected way more than what we got this time.

Another bands that isn't playing folk metal is Graveland and he released his new album this year and continued his run of releasing solid albums. There's nothing new here at all. It's just moreof the same, but when you do what you do as good as Rob Darken there really isn't a need for changes. Just continue doing what you do so well. A good album.

Skagos is a canadian atmospheric black metal band that blends in some folk metal and post-rock influences, who released their new album this year. It's a superb album, really. Very atmospheric and soothing music. It's not your jolly folk metal band but it's very much recommended.

Mael Mórdha is a Irish folk/doom metal band in the vein of Primordial and Thyrfing, just doomier, and not Turisas, Ensiferum, Finntroll and those bands, and they released a new album this year called Damned When Dead. It's a decent album with very good atmosphere.

I did listen to the new Falkenbach album a bit ago. It was good, but I will need to listen to it a bit more. I think my favourite song is still Vanadis. :staru:

And Thyrfing, yes. I wasn't aware they had released something new. I will have to check that out. The sample you linked sounds pretty good to me anyway.

I remember a few songs from Mael Mórdha, and they were decent enough. Will check that out as well. I think I was kinda fond of their vocals.

Something I'm really looking forward to (and this is only vaguley related to folk metal) is the new Kauan album this December. The music is somewhere between atmospheric/doom metal and post-rock, with folky influences. And the previews for the album sound just amazing. I feel a new masterpiece coming up. :D

I liked it. A lot. I didn't like the fact that it essentially only had 3 proper songs (and 2 instrumentals), but those three songs were all pretty amazing (and the instrumentals weren't bad either).

I know a lot of diehard metalheads were complaining about the album not being "metal" enough, but that's nothing I really care for. Funnily, I never cared much for their first album. I guess I'm just too untrve for a metal fan, lol.

Overproduced? I guess so, maybe that's what you get when you work on the same songs for like 7 years, but that's actually something I enjoyed about it, and I'm really looking forward to Time II. :D I can see why someone wouldn't like it though.

I wasn't impressed by "Time I" either. Not in the slightest. Overproduced to the point where everything sounds synthetic, and the actual riff that were found on the debut are replaced by annoying chugs and layers on layers of synth, and the vocals are, most of the time. so damn out of lace here. Just doesn't fit at all. I wasn't disappointed by the album as I had no expectations to begin with, but I am not impressed anyway. Thought the debut album is alright. A bit up and down, but I guess I'd give it a 6,5/10. Brilliant at times, but not very consistent and it goes from brilliant to mediocre and back to brilliant a lot.

I wasn't impressed by "Time I" either. Not in the slightest. Overproduced to the point where everything sounds synthetic, and the actual riff that were found on the debut are replaced by annoying chugs and layers on layers of synth, and the vocals are, most of the time. so damn out of lace here. Just doesn't fit at all. I wasn't disappointed by the album as I had no expectations to begin with, but I am not impressed anyway. Thought the debut album is alright. A bit up and down, but I guess I'd give it a 6,5/10. Brilliant at times, but not very consistent and it goes from brilliant to mediocre and back to brilliant a lot.

Those are the words I've been looking for to describe how that album sounds. I heard Time II is supposed to have more of an emphasis on riffs and solos, so I hope for a style more like the debut.

I'm not very keen on digital releases since I really enjoy the material CDs, but I might actually get this one as a digital. I've spent too much money on VK releases and Amon Amarth concert ticket, so the 7 euro for the digital copy is kinda agreeable. It sounds really great.

Yeah, if I'm going to buy a release, I prefer the actual CD as well. Especially if it comes as a digipack. I love digipacks. But sometimes digital releases are a nice compromise if you want to support an artist without paying the full price of an actual CD.

Buuuuut.... since we're on the topic of doom-ish stuff, I was also quite fond of Ereb Altor's recent album "Fire meets Ice", released earlier this year. :D

I have yet to be impressed with Ereb Altor's last two outputs. I wish they'd drop the black kmetal influences and go back to worshipping viking-era Bathory and Scald with their epic doom/viking metal. Really miss the epic doom metal sound they had on their two first albums. All three are members of Isole, and it was like Isole's epic doom meets Bathory's viking metal. Two great, great albums!

Really looking forward to Moonsorrow's 14x LP box planned for a release next year. I have no idea what they are gonna fill 14 LPs with, but I am looking forward to it. It'll burn a whole in my wallet, though.