Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

ア​ルルカン - 墓穴

some_text
Artist: ア​ルルカン
Album: 墓穴
Score: :4.0:
Okay paradoxal, you win. Finally.

I could understand if someone glanced at Arlequin, sighed, and thought to themselves "yet more standard pretty boy metalcore". Snazzy looking bands with laughable musical ability are a dime a dozen in this scene, and they all sound the same - like recycled shit sprinkled with preservatives so you won't mind the stench or notice that you've already heard that riff five times this week. It's also understandable that due to the massive waves of shit that lap on the shore constantly that Arlequin flew under your radar. They certainly flew under mine. So, as I girded my loins for part two of really bland metalcore that people adore for reasons I do not understand, I was caught off guard. Imagine my face, then imagine how it would have looked when the first track was a righteous kick in the ass.

At one point I may have even thanked VK Jesus, but don't put me on record as having ever said that.

What sets Arlequin apart from the countless other bands that play this exact type of music are that they're good at it. Or, good enough to impress me. Arlequin is the one in a thousand band that can take electronics and metalcore and construct music that doesn't make me deaf. The last visual kei band capable of that feat was D.I.D., and they've left a void in the scene that Arlequin is both ready to and capable of filling. It's not the Holy Grail of visual kei but it's better than anything I've heard this scene fart out in a while. That in itself is revolutionary. It's also sad that decent has become good and good has become great in this small, inbred scene but this is not the time to bemoan the gradual manufacturing of this type of music. All the other basement-kei no1curr aggressive metalcore bands in Japan that spend more money on make-up and wigs than guitar lessons should pull up a chair and take some notes.

Boketsu is three tracks featuring decently good production, impressive riffs from guitarists intimate with their instruments, and a vocalist who can both growl and sing. The last part alone is what really puts this band on my radar. He can clean up on the technique and watch the inhales before he ruins his voice, but the lack of modulation and the remarkable consistency he displays on all three tracks is great. He reminds me of a Kyouki who is more in control of his voice but he definitely has his own style. He's also charismatic enough to make the aggressive verse - poppy chorus formula work to their favor. There's also enough power and energy in the breakdowns to put them a notch above obligatory, although I can do without them all the time. There's amazing bass presence on both the part of the bassist and the drummer and even the electronics are placed thoughtfully and not slathered all over the place like special sauce on Big Macs. This is solid but not amazing and it's clear where there's room for improvement. As these members make more music together, I expect them to become an even tighter unit.

Arlequin did not overplay their hand here. Halfway through the first track, I had to toss my hat up to them. For a bunch of nobodies, they wrote some solid tunes here. This is confirmation that at least SOMEONE over in the land of the rising sun is playing more than brainless metalcore. Even in 2014, there's room in visual kei for stodgy old heads like me. I look forward to seeing this band move up through the ranks and become semi-influential.

That is, if they don't pull the whole disbandment shuffle before then.

70726f647563742f32303134303630.jpg Artist: ア​ルルカン Album: 墓穴 Score: :4.0: Okay paradoxal, you win. Finally.

At one point I may have even thanked VK Jesus, but don't put me on record as having ever said that.

(I wouldn't exactly refer to them as "nobodies" at this point, at least not from a domestic perspective: http://weloveucp.com/blog/arlequin-sold-out-in-3-minutes/ . Plus, they have two ex-UCP members, even if CindyKate / Cu[be] weren't all that popular, but it got them an obligatory initial following).

I couldn't help but listen to this release after this detailed post and I'm on the first song right now....I really like this. And its very hard for me to sit down and check out random indies bands. I will def keep this band in my sights. Much appreciated Zess.

EDIT: SWEET MOTHER OF ZORDON. THIS IS AWESOME.

GOT DAMN.

Arlequin are pretty listenable, I gotta give them that. They sound rather professional and polished even for being a fairly newbie band. With that said, this release isn't anything special. It lacks any kind of 'flavor' for me to associate them with - rather it sounds like some whatever-band who are competent in what they do but no more.

Track-1's trying-to-be-heavy parts annoy me but other than that it's a pretty okay song (even if I swear I heard that chorus melody a few times in the past). Track-2 has a nice chunky riff that I could get into but it's way too similar to their previous superior song Zou - I'm afraid it's kinda like how GazettE always has one HEADACHE MAN-like track in their releases after DIM, lolol (hopefully it won't become a pattern here). Otherwise it's decent too and the chorus is a nice redeeming touch. The last track is pretty forgettable albeit well-put-together - this seems to be somewhat of a theme of this band. Not annoying or abrasive but nothing I'd remember for more than the runtime of the song.

Compared to the rest of the indies-vk scene and their peers this is pretty cool. In itself, it's just painfully average.

:3.0: | not bad, it's worth at least a listen

Sign in to follow this