Sign in to follow this  
Tetora

UVERworld - Ø CHOIR

SRCL-8554.jpg?v=2

WRITE-UP:

The immensely popular Rock Band UVERworld returns with the album that I personally enjoy most out of their catalog to date.

The tracks flow through many different musical styles and feelings, while staying anchored to the UVERworld signature product. What to expect most is lots of attitude (something I look for) and a rock album that you can pretty much bounce along to as if it were full of `hip-hop jams`except with heavy riffs, great drums, and a soaring sax to go along with the vocalists stand-up-and-shout microphone persona.

I recommend this to any VK or Indie fans who haven`t already checked it out due to the band not fitting into their preferred genres. If you enjoy rock, musical creativity and just all around great production, give it a try. The lyrics, vocal ability and instrumentation all deliver.

How quickly the album picks up on you may differ. Even for me as a fan, there were tracks that instantly clicked, and others which I had to give a few spins in order to get into and really feel. But after all the plays I eventually grew fond of listening to each and every track.

Biggest Attention Grabbers:

The singles including Fight For Liberty, Wizard Club and Nano Second, as well as the Underworld cover `Born Slippy` an underground classic from England, featured in the `cult-hit` Trainspotting, and referenced in the audio/music-phile Tomoki Kyoda`s anime Eureka Seven AO.

Sleeper Tracks:

別世界 (betsusekai, lit. Seperate World, interpreted as Another World in common speech), and ENOUGH-1. Betsusekai would theoretically be an answer to anyone doubting that UVERworld could make a track like Born Slippy on their own. They step it up musically, and put together a jazz-rock structured jam that really takes me on an instrumental journey. ENOUGH-1 has a laid back Japanese Yankee kind of attitude to it, I imagine it as the perfect tune for a group to roll out to in the sunset as they hit the town for something wild. The lyrics, music and attitude grew on me with each listen and it became one of my go-to tracks when I slip my headphones on.

Track Count: 14 (4 previously released,  3 of which are slightly modified for the album)

Listens: 30-40

Production Quality: :5.0: Amazing recording, mixing, timbre and overall feel.

CD Print Quality: :5.0: No perceptible flaws, perfect track synch, no artefacts.

Overall Rating: :5.0: They seem to have pulled off the exact feel and quality they were going for, I enjoy the album immensely, and in the right mood I don`t skip a single track.

It's a good album but I felt the guitars were either drowned out in the mixing of the album or they just werent written to be as prominent as before. 

The songs are still UVERworld-catchy but I feel there is more pop than their usual rock. You go back to their LIFE 6 SENSE, and you got yourself some strong guitar riffs with a more prominent jazzy side. You go back to THE ONE and you have those same strong riffs but a more heavier side to them and slightly more electronic. This album though, it definitely is more poppy, Enough-1 and IMPACT being the catchiest of them all. Then we get 3 ballad-esque songs starting with "KICK ga..."

It's a good album, just not as UVERworld strong as their past stuff. I still found myself dancing and going crazy to the first part of the album, but I just didnt feel the power I have felt in their past albums. I don't think I'll be listening to this as much as I have their past albums. The singles were all right for this album, but I prefer THE ONE singles (7th Trigger, Kinjito, THE OVER). I mean, 6 of the songs were old but THE ONE still held up as a strong one.

Sign in to follow this