Pandabear

The Human Abstract

24eaxj8.jpg

The Human Abstract is an American metal band from Los Angeles, California. They are known for their unique, classically-influenced style. They are critically acclaimed for their technical proficiency and impressive stage presenceFormed in 2004, the group was originally signed to the independent label Hopeless Records, the band then released the two albums Nocturne (2006) and Midheaven (2008) before signing to E1 Music and releasing Digital Veil (2011). The Human Abstract has gone through several lineup changes over the years, with the current consisting of founding members Dean Herrera (rhythm guitar), A.J. Minette (lead guitar) and Brett Powell (drums), in addition to Henry Selva (bass) and Travis Richter (vocals).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRitJ1m8E1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Qw9nZQp6E

One of my favorite bands. These guys DESTROY. They were the reason I got into more technical bands after I listened to Nocturne. I don’t know what happened on Midheaven, but Digital Veil was a metal masterpiece. Ground breaking even. It’s easily one of the top metal releases of the last few years IMO. Progressive classically inspired metal with some core inspiration. When you have a music degree in classical music like AJ does, it makes for some awesome sauce. He’s one of my favorite guitarists/composers. He’s got such godly guitar sweeps too. Of course everyone in this band rules at their instrument. Brett Is amazing on the drums.

The band may have been inactive for the last couple of years, but there are rumors about a possible reunion happening. I hope this turns out to be true, because the metal world needs these guys back. And I need to see them live. 

I know there are a few fans of THA here, but if you’re not familiar with them and are into metal, I’d recommend giving Digital Veil a listen.

I fucking love these guys. I first heard of them when they were touring with Diru way back when lol...after the show when everyone was flocking to meet diru, I went and talked to THA guys for a while...really cool dudes. At first I actually didn't like Nocturne when I listened to it...but I think it is just one of those albums that takes a couple listened to even comprehend it.

When Digital Veil came out, damn did that album blow me away. With AJ back and Travis on vocals...so good.

They keep their FB active, which pisses me off...they are such teases lol.

Yeah, I'm hoping we get some more THA... Digital Veil and Nocturne blew me away and I really want to hear some more Travis vocals and some dreads hahaha. Their guitar work is exceptional

I feel like their second album gets more hate than it deserves. I find it to be a decent album. It is just no where near the level of their other two album (thank god AJ came back from Digital Viel). I still really like Breathing Life Into Devices.

Also, this:

I actually really like their older vocalist though. But the actual music has always been fantastic. 

I actually really like their older vocalist though. But the actual music has always been fantastic.

I thought that I was really going to miss him when he left, but I ended up enjoy Travis's vocals a hell of a lot more. I can't speak for how Travis was live though, because Nathan was a lot of fun live.

I feel Nathan had more unique vocals. The one thing he had over Travis was that his highs were better. I mean Travis has good range and can do highs too, I just think Nathan has an edge over him in that aspect. That being said, Travis has much better growls than Nathan. And while I appreciate Nathans more unique vocals, I think Travis's vocals are more accessible and definitely helped for Digital Veil to be the epicness it was.

I know people who couldn't get into Nocturne or had to listen to that album multiple times to get into it, because of Nathan's vocals. Mea culpa is definetly a sick track off of Nocturne. That solo at the end is incredible, hadn't heard the 8-bit version, but I'm particularity fond of Vela, Together we Await The Storm. So much insane guitar sweeping/tapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DnfyuTb2Og