Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

六合 - 宵闇の残光

Score :3.0: | If an album ever left me sitting on the fence deciding if I enjoyed it as much as I thought I did, this would be it.

六合 (Rikugo) is a very difficult band to describe. They classify themselves as "influenced by rock, metal, gothic abroad" but I disagree somewhat with the second term and completely with the third. They're definitely a rock band, heavy and melodious, but with a nice handful of other instruments and influences strewn about that they like to downplay. 宵闇の残光 is a surprise for the uninitiated listener and by not focusing on any particular influence, 六合 crafts a sound all their own. Each track is distinct and the tone is always set by the omnipresent but never overbearing synthesizer work; moving guitar lines, present bass and the occasional piano twinkle pull out some occasionally proggy material that goes down great when I'm in the mood for it. There is no point at which I felt a song was too long or filler, which is a compliment I rarely give out.

This album would have gone over so much better for me if it weren't for the vocalist.

He barely does each song justice. He is consistently out of tune and threatens to go off the rails at any moment. This is the one and only flaw to the band and the album, but it's enough to knock off quite a few from the overall score. At times I wish someone - anyone else - would come in and save the day. It doesn't happen. If you can look past the off-key vocals, you're going to find a solid album. I can see why this is one of greeeeen's favorites.

I see that they have a new album out, with a focus on a more futuristic sound three years in the making. If the vocalist has improved between then and now, we may have an album of the year on our hands. But as it is, 六合 hasn't fully converted me into a fan. Yet.

Sign in to follow this