iSin-Sama

Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn

You console players are going to be the death of the game.

I joke.

Manda and I both play, on the Cactaur [NA] server.

Kai Matsuoka - Level 15 CNJ / Level 5 GLA

Even though I hold great dislike for the sub fee for this game, I admit it is rather hard resisting the urge to play it after I enjoyed the beta so much... Are they still having server issues? I heard it was almost impossible to get into a server a few days after launch. Which technically isn't a bad thing for the game, just shows that it's getting a lot of attention right now.

PS3 eh? just a quick question, is the userbase for the two different versions (PC and PS3) combined? or are they their own separate thing? wasn't really sure on this... I'm pretty sure they're separate because I don't believe current gen consoles are capable of making it work, but I could be wrong...

The PC, and PS3 versions of the game is played with one big community all connected, and no servers are up and running right now, I'm level 46 archer now. 

I've been interested in this game since the art is really really pretty and I do like MMOs.

Could someone give me a break down of what this game has to offer? I've never played 11, so I dont know what their online games are like.

Server issues have been resolved per the maintenance from the other day.

You can't compare FFXI to FFXIV, as every aspect of the two games are so different. FFXI was slow paced, and a bit of a "grind" game. ie, sat in one corner of the world with a group where you'd pull one monster at a time to kill and gain what little EXP you could. It would take close to a year and a half, if not more, to even hit max level (if you were persistent and played often).

FFXIV is quite different. It's fast paced, highly solo-able, not a grind at all (play through the story line or take up one of the many MANY quests), and is so easy to find others to party up with (this include players from different servers) - The one thing it does have in common with FFXI is it's cross console (PC, PS3), and cross-continental (ie, English and Japanese players play on the same servers).

This game has been nothing but short of amazing.

Last night I leveled my GLA class from 5 to 10 in about 3 hours.

I'm loving it so far, managed to also con my girlfriend into playing it too, so I'm always playing with someone. Makes the game never have any of those lul moments where you're just walking around bored, cause it'd kill interest for me. I like that this game always has me doing something, I can always go somewhere and there's not really much stopping me or making everything feel like disjointed like when in SWTOR you had to go through several load screens just to change planets.

Via Reddit /ffxiv

So my friend asked me how FF:ARR was. This is what I told him.

Alex, the best way to describe FF14:ARR is to imagine Square Enix is a shitty Ex. They never quite put enough effort into the relationship and the last date they took you on was to an Arby's. Also, they asked you to pay for both meals.

That's when you decide you've had enough. You look Square straight in the eye and say, "Square, this shit ain't real. I'm leaving you." They suddenly start to cry into their fake Arby's cheese saying they will change, they can be better this time. But you've heard this song and dance before and you wont be moved.

That's when they do something crazy. Using two plastic knifes in a manner you haven't quite figured out, they lop off one of their arms.

"I'm doing this for you!"

"So you're shitty AND insane?" You think to yourself as you "nope" the fuck out of there.

The last thing you hear as the restaurant door closes behind you is, "I will become better!"

2 years go by and you've finally put this horrific event out of your mind. You're chilling at a party with some friends. The same group of friends you've had for a couple years now. You've all grown older, wiser, learned what it means to have some self respect. When around the corner comes someone oddly familiar.

You can tell from the way their shirt fits that they definitely work out, their posture is fantastic, and their style is straight out of Hollywood. You definitely don't remember anyone that sexy being in your life.

But when they turn around, you know exactly who it is. Your Ex. That fear you feel, and the need to run away are completely overpowered by your awe and surprise. They approach you with complete calm and confidence.

Oh, I forgot to mention, that nub of an arm? It's been replaced by a bionic arm straight out of the god damn future. Even the robotic arm is sexy.

They ask you out on a date. You say yes. For some insane reason you say yes. Oh shit, why did you say yes? Certainly this is only superficial change and you are in for the same old shit. Now it's safe to say YOU'RE the insane one.

But you go, and it is fantastic, it is glorious, and that arm has features in the bedroom that no human has had the pleasure of enjoying before you.

Sure, sometime the arm electrocutes your Ex and they pass out for a few hours to a day, but the doctor's assure you they will have that patched out within a month.

All in all, it has been the most amazing week of your life, and it's still too soon to say whether it'll last, but even with the glitches you don't care. You're gonna ride this one out.

I'm saying it's good Alex, it's good.

Ok, I lol-ed at that.

I would love to play, but honestly, I don't have enough free time to ever consider playing a subscription based game XD

Ok, I lol-ed at that.

I would love to play, but honestly, I don't have enough free time to ever consider playing a subscription based game XD

I know its a huge game now with lots of subs but give it a year or so, Lately all these P2P MMOs no matter console or P.C have gone free too play, Then you won't have to worry, Personally I love the Guild Wars 2 model of paying for a game, Where you just buy the box and you get hundred of hours of content for 60$ and no pay monthly.

I don't see why you people think this game is going to go F2P - they've even stated that they will not be going F2P in interviews before. I honestly hate F2P, because as I've stated in another thread about this game - it filters out a lot of the players who just play to be assholes. Now granted, of course there will always be assholes who have money - but at least the game isn't full of 13 year olds.

I mean, jesus, FFXI is still P2P.

Well it's not definite that It'll go f2p, but I would say there's a really good chance that it will. I guess it really all depends on how well the developers support the game in the coming months/years.. if they don't commit to it and support their mmo with a constant flood of content then obviously people aren't gonna stick around after they've completed everything or get bored which will mean that they'll cancel their sub and the game will lose not only money but players too. Now if this starts to happen then the best option for SE is to go f2p. By doing this they will optimally encourage old players who canceled their sub to come back since they don't have to pay anything and already own the game anyways, while also they should pull in a ton of new players who were either waiting because of the sub fee or other reasons unbeknownst to me. This way I believe is the most optimal way for them to gain new players and earn more money.

But of course this is all hypothetical, as of right now it's to early to predict how it will go, but with saying that I'm pretty confident in the belief that it will go F2P eventually, this is my opinion based on my experience with mmo's in today's business model. The industry isn't what it was ten years ago, things change, people change, and most importantly business practices change. You can either accept it or reject it, I've come to terms with the f2p model, but that does not mean I think every f2p game is good because that's not true, there are some horrendous games out their that are f2p that just are not good.. not because the game sucks but more because of the poorly implemented f2p aspects of the game. I'm an avid believer that if done right f2p can be a magical thing that can work and has worked with several mmo's.

@Kai: I resent this elitist mentality that P2P filters out all the bad players and "13 year olds". I don't see why that matters at all and to be frank it doesn't add anything to your argument what so ever besides the fact that now I know that you don't like thirteen year olds apparently... and anyways you make it sound like these "asshole" players actually bother you on an online video game just because their not as a serious player as you? If that's the case then why not just ignore the not serious players who are just there for the hell of it and just play with other serious players who share the same mindset? If I misinterpreted your statement please let me know because as of right now I'm not getting your point as to why f2p is the most horrible idea ever? Or at least that's the way you're coming off as to me...  

I think she means that free to play lets -anyone- with the right hardware requirements to join. If you've ever worked with the public, you will understand why allowing lots of people to join can cause problems with quality of life while playing. I don't think it has anything to do with the caliber in which they play, so much as it makes it much easier for people to join and fuck up the game for everyone else because, in a sense, they're not losing anything "real" aside from time.

I think "thirteen year olds" is just a generic term for "self entitled assholes who represent the bad sides of gaming," because the current stereotype of this kind of person is a preteen yelling into his mic while playing COD in between algebra homework and his next dose of Ritalin.

F2P, in theory, might reduce the odds of this happening since I don't think most people want to spend time making the game unenjoyable for everyone else unless they are misanthropic and have a lot of money. They could do that much more easily on games like League of Legends, which has a huge playerbase and is free (and prone to this kind of dickcunt mentality, but I digress).

I think she means that free to play lets -anyone- with the right hardware requirements to join. If you've ever worked with the public, you will understand why allowing lots of people to join can cause problems with quality of life while playing. I don't think it has anything to do with the caliber in which they play, so much as it makes it much easier for people to join and fuck up the game for everyone else because, in a sense, they're not losing anything "real" aside from time.

I think "thirteen year olds" is just a generic term for "self entitled assholes who represent the bad sides of gaming," because the current stereotype of this kind of person is a preteen yelling into his mic while playing COD in between algebra homework and his next dose of Ritalin.

F2P, in theory, might reduce the odds of this happening since I don't think most people want to spend time making the game unenjoyable for everyone else unless they are misanthropic and have a lot of money. They could do that much more easily on games like League of Legends, which has a huge playerbase and is free (and prone to this kind of dickcunt mentality, but I digress).

This, 100%.

I'm not against F2P models for MMOs - it's just not something that suits this game. I don't know if you ever played FFXI, but it had a pretty damn mature player base - it was wonderful playing with people. F2P may seems like a win-all situation, but there are people like me who feel turned off by that fact for the reasons I've stated.

SE already has the next expansion story and features already planned (and 80% written), and have been working on them since the official launch (after the whole server issues). They have stated, and already have things set in motion to continually support, and add new content/expansions for the next ten years. Here's some things Yoshida talked about during PAX Prime (which I'm sad I missed because it was only a few blocks from where I live D; )

• Naoki Yoshida intends for the endgame content in FFXIV: ARR to be truly difficult and reward players who work awesomely together and employ perfect teamwork.
  • Square Enix is already working on the next three updates for the game– 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3. The plot for the next expansion is even already written.
  • 2.1 will include the PvP Wolves’ Den, player housing, daily quests, hardmode dungeons, and instance battles. All of these features are ready to go.
  • Future updates are going to be meaty, each featuring a great deal of content that should satisfy both casual and hardcore players.
  • The team plans to introduce Gilgamesh at some point. They want to make him part of a multiple-patch update or a broad questline in order to not make the introduction a “one time” deal.
  • We’ll probably see more classes branch off into multiple jobs like the current Arcanist -> Summoner or Scholar setup. Dark Knight, anyone?
  • He also mentioned the possibility of having new jobs that require multiple current jobs. A Red Mage, for example, might be created by obtaining both White Mage and Black Mage.
  • Speaking of which, there’s a high possibility of us seeing new jobs before a future expansion.
  • Server transfers will be available within two to three months.
  • Daily quests will expand on the story behind the beast tribes in Eorzea. They will feature new rewards to encourage players to check them out.
  • One of Yoshida’s goals was to make FFXIV: ARR accessible to both an MMORPG player and a pure single-player RPG gamer who’s in love with the Final Fantasy universe. The tutorials at the beginning of the game and the way the game slowly ramps up in difficulty help ease single-player gamers into an MMO world.
  • Yoshida seems open to the idea of flying mounts, and even mentioned that the way the game is set up, the control systems would support such a feature.
  • The team’s looking at how to give players the functionality of using the world map to travel to other Aetherytes instead of having to hassle with menus.

All that stuff does sound amazing. Makes me want to play it so bad, but I think I'm gonna wait a little while before I get it nonetheless... sure all that stuff sounds amazing on paper but what it comes down to is how well they implement it. This game is young and because of that there are certain things that are uncertain at this point in time, so with that in mind I've decided to take a wait and see approach. If they are able to keep supporting their game and show us that they're serious about it and the quality of the content is on par with the rest of the game then I'll will most likely buy this in the near future sub fee and all.

I am impressed with what I've seen of the game so far, and I have nothing bad to say about the game whatsoever, though sadly that is not enough for me to deal with a subscription fee. Until they can prove that they can "hang" and support their game with quality content they will not earn my subscription fee. I might just be being way too cautious about it, but I think I'll ride this one out for a little while, maybe when Christmas comes around I might consider picking it up or let a friend get it for me :D

Sounds really good, and laughed at that description about the ex haha.

But, like many others, I just don't have the free time to get into an MMO at this point, and certainly not one with a monthly fee.

I loved FFXI, and I want to play this game. Unfortunately I only have a laptop now as my desktop broke and I am broke in my wallet so that's a double whammy that will have to figure itself out eventually one day.. I'd still love to play this sometime soon though.

Always wondered whether I should check this out or not.  I liked FFXI, but I never had a bunch of friends playing so I was usually going it alone, which made it a bit boring in the long run.  Ive heard this one allows for a bit easier "loner-mode" :D

If you don't mind paying a monthly subscription fee then yes you should definitely check it out. Not only is it leagues better than XI but they are still constantly update and adding new content to the game which actually makes the Sub fee more bearable. Plus you can get it for only 15 bucks from the steam summer sale right now, just make sure you but it either today or tomorrow before the deal expires.

I played it on PC for a bit, but most of my friends have it on ps3 apparently and I haven't had the time or money to buy it on ps3 and decide if i want to pay a monthly fee or not ;;

It doesn't matter since FFXIV is a cross platform game.

You can use the pc version and still play with your friends who have the ps3 version.