CAT5

What do you all like to listen to while studying, reading, etc?

This thread topic is too good not to revive, so since Cat gave me permission, I'm going to bring it back from the dead.

For me, music is an absolute must when it comes to studying or just getting shit done in general, but it largely depends on what type of music I'm listening to. Specifically, predominantly instrumental music that features notable rhythmical interplay, with calming (or just not 'in your face') sentiments tends to work really well for me. Examples of artists that have a lot of music like this include toe, how to count one to ten, and haisuinonasaThere's something about different instrumental sections combining in such a precise way to create something that's holistically greater than the sum of its parts that puts me in the perfect mood for being productive myself. 

The other type of music that I find can be rather helpful has already been mentioned by Sai and Cat, namely IDM. For example, artists like Solar Fields and Ametsub tend to be extremely effective. Once again I find that the most important thing is that the music has to be calming, but not in that sort of 'putting you to sleep' sort of way; rather, I need it to be calming enough that I don't get particularly stressed nor overly distracted, but 'active' enough that it keeps my brain subconsciously processing things.

It depends abit on what I am reading, but for most part I listen to ambient, neoclassical, post-rock, funeral doom or black metal. Bands like Mortiis, Summoning, Paysage d'Hiver, Mono, Zhaoze, Kinstrife & Blood, The Great Old Ones, Thergothon, Tyanny, Evoken, Worship, Evoken and more are bands that I've been playing a lot when reading. The important thing to me when finding music to read to, is that it in somewhat manage to evoke muh of the same feeling and atmosphere as the subject I am reading. I'll never listen to Summoning when reading Lovecraft or other horror stories, and I'll never listen to Tyranny or Thergothon when reading Tolkien or other fantasy stories. It doesn't match well.

METAL FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING~

Seriously though, it can vary quite often, and for different reasons. I usually always listen to a type of music depending what mood I'm in or how I'm feeling because, if I'm not, it becomes quite tricky for me to bare with it if it doesn't correspond to how I'm thinking at that moment. So, homework wise, if it's something like maths, I prefer some ambient/classical music. Just gets me more relaxed and focused. Dare I say it, even some math genre listening makes me focus on the task at hand, aha. Or no noise at all if I can help it (I'm a music-holic, I'll need music for every chore if I can). If it's something more creative needing, like photography or art, then I'll listen to some high vocals or hyper stuff like J-pop or Oshare-kei.

Thumbs up for thread revival Pho!

Recently I'm having a hard time to focus on studying even when I have the internet running. So sometimes I prefer to just print my materials and sit outside without my computer or mp3 player (ignore my cellphone for that matter), unless I have to search for some information online, or I really want to sleep and need something to help me stay awake. I do like listening to music while painting, crafting or designing. That again depends what I'm doing. I usually like to play some instrumental ambient music in the background such as themed playlists and full albums (on Youtube). Or electronic stuff like Tycho, Hora, Royksopp or Tiesto. But that also depends on my mood and my source of inspiration :)

I usually like to listen to progressive trance (like Shingo Nakamura) and sometimes relaxing instrumentals when I'm studying or reading. When gaming, I'll listen to whatever.

I love listening to classical music when I study. Recently, though, I listened to Sakura Fujiwara while studying for an exam, and it went smoothly. She may be my go-to-study-aide from now on.