Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

ALSDEAD - Separator

Score: :2.5: | This is frustrating...

I started this review four times before I decided to settle with an opener describing precisely why I could not write a decent opening paragraph. Every single one felt the same way - flowery prose that got across the point I was making but was missing substance. In a nutshell, this describes Separator.

I can make claims that the album is a bit monotonous. I can make the (not at all inaccurate statement) that this album doesn't fully reflect the concept upon which ALSDEAD was founded. I can expound upon some possible difficulties the band has been facing as of late. I won't because none of this makes Separator any better. This album is missing the spark that makes a good album great, which just happens to be the same spark that caused DICE&JOKER (and later ALSDEAD) to form in the first place. It's just an average and somewhat enjoyable album created by an average but somewhat enjoyable band that lacks the passion or flair to be anything more.

And that's all she wrote.

ouch!

...Is it bad that I mostly agree with your synopsis? Well since I'm bored, I'll go into detail on this:

1- Pandemic - Starts very promising with the piano, but the vocals kind of irritate me. Like they aren't genuine to me....I don't know...it sounds like he's faking this song. Sounds like a bad anime opening overall. Solo is pretty cool...the only true redeeming quality of this song. 2.5/5

2- FLASH BACK - Didn't like this song at first, but it grew on me a lot. I don't know what he did during the verses, but it sounds like to me he slowed down the tempo of his singing which works better and doesn't sound like a jumble of words. Can't deny the catchiness of the chorus. I don't like his vocals on the breakdown though. I would have just like to listen to just the instruments, but f*ck. Still like this song. 3.5/5

3- Rebellion - Like the opening a lot. Sounds like something I would play. I was totally with this song UNTIL that horrible chorus! I think it would have been awesome if it went into an even heavier chorus line with his screams. I feel like this could have been the the fun, heavy rock out song that the crowd loves (examples Gazette "Discharge", Dir en Grey "Garbage"), but that chorus screwed it. 2.5/5

4- Cattleya - Standard jazz song. I feel like the only ones who do Jazz right are SID. His vocals DON'T go with this style at all...uninspiring and annoying at times. 1/5

5- Puzzle - My love...loved it the first time I heard it...love it now. 5/5

6- Separator - I feel like this should have been at the beginning of the album and lead into something, but not a bad ballad. Really nice voice, but this song is very forgettable. I really have to be in the mood to listen to this...which I'm not anymore... 2/5

7- Flight - Sounds like an anime ending. lol. I liked it until his chorus :( I don't think he sounds too good in some parts of it. Some of it sounds like he is straining. Nothing interesting going on here though. decent song. Better than Separator, but not by much. 2.5/5

8- Heaven - Like everything about this song except the chorus! I feel like it is very very weak. I also like how the synth in the background changes octaves...I think I hear that. At some points it has a lowerr sound to it and some points it's higher but it's playing the same notes. Really nice light rock song to listen to...3.5/5

9- Hackticvism - I hate HATE this song! Like those vocals are just...NO! Ew....this MUST be a joke. everything about this song screams "WHY AM I HERE!?!" 0/5

10- Swallowtail - I actually enjoy this song. After first every vocal leading to the chorus was annoying, but it grew on me. In the chorus, it seems like he strains a lot on his high notes, but overall I found this song to be decent. One of the stand out new songs. 3.5/5

11- BLINK - Another anime opening type song. It's not bad, it's just boring. 3/5

Overall: 2.5/5

Forgettable for the most part. The best parts of this album have for the most part been released as singles already. They only have a mini album worth of solid material on here and 3 of those already were singles. Also, a lot of time, I have a hard time believing the vocalist. Like his vocals are just not hitting me at all. I'm not going to lie, I fell hard off this band, but listening to "Distrust" made my day at times. None of their songs have hit me like that...Puzzle was close though. But yeah...I feel like a lot of these songs are forced and cliche...like every VK stereotype music wise is put into this album. I was really looking forward to this album, but most of this is just filler songs...and not even good ones... :(

Awesome album, some fillers but overall a great collection of melodic adrenaline kickers!
My favs are pandemic, flashback, puzzle, heaven and blink!

8/10

Alsdead is becoming one of my favs!

7/10

It was nice to listen to the first time. Although if given the chance, I wouldn't listen to the entire album again.

2 or 3 good songs at best.

"fright" and "heaven" were probably the ones I enjoyed the most.

Sign in to follow this