Sign in to follow this  
bonsaijodelfisch

Music Player Alternative on Mac?

hi there,

does anyone know of a decent audio-player for mac that isn't itunes? because that nonexistence of a usable track-queue (playlist) is seriously pissing me off. on my pc i always used winamp, but the mac-version of it sucks major balls, foobar unfortunately isn't available on mac :(

this is what it should be able to do

media-libraby management, with filter options/cathegories for band/album

Audio-Queue or On The Fly Playlist, no idea how to name that, before it just was always there :P

preferrably not look like shit (some of the freeware looks like it still comes from the win95 era...)

pretty slink, no fancy animations or realtime internet concertticket-lowprize bonus program and no "sound-enhancing"-effects

so far i've already tried:

aTunes (seems ok, but needs some fishy extra audio-player from the app-store)

Winamp for Mac
Clementine (looks like bubblegum and is really slow, probably because of lots of weird mumbojumbo going on in the background)
Cog (designed with MSPaint)
Musique
Play
Songbird
Vox

and a bunch of others that i forgot...

tempted to install windows on this thing just for the use of a decent musicplayer already :D

and a bunch of others that i forgot

any help greatly appreciated^^

Sorry to say that I've done a similar search for a friend and iTunes is truly one of the best choices for Mac users out there. There just isn't a demand in the programming market for someone to have written an alternative audio player for that operating system. However, I'll say that out of the ones you've tried that I recognize, a lot of them are garbage.

Winamp for Mac

You've said it all, really. Half-assed port at best.

Clementine (looks like bubblegum and is really slow, probably because of lots of weird mumbojumbo going on in the background)

That's because Clementine is a fork of AmaroK 1.4. AmaroK is an extremely slow media player written for the K Desktop environment as an alternative to Rhythmbox. They decided to fork this ancient version because no matter how bad 1.4 was, the revision 2.0 was so bad it was unusable. This also isn't one of the only forks. Hence, Clementine is awful.

And yes, I've used it. Or at least tried to.

Songbird

As far as I'm concerned this is almost exactly like iTunes, just with a revamped front-end.

Foobar2000

By far my favorite, but also Windows only. Attempting to emulate this or any media player like it is like putting a Porsche on the back of a truck and driving the truck.

I would check out BABEFACE, which is a MAC OS X port of DEADBEEF, which is by far the best Linux clone of foobar2000 there is. I haven't used it myself, so I'll rely on your experiences to tell me how it is. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't really help.

If you want to free download the alternative to Foobar2000 for Mac andindows to play MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, Opus, FLAC, etc and convert between any audio formats.I suggest Avdshare Video Converter

I know it's an old post, but VOX ( https://vox.rocks ) can play pretty much anything and is a very nice alternative to iTunes if you just need music. it got updated heavily from the "student-made" Vox it was 4 years ago

Edited by d4rkie

Sign in to follow this