CAT5

5 Ways Your Taste in Music is Scientifically Programmed

http://www.cracked.com/article_20065_5- ... z2BHCGtuX1

I thought this was an interesting little read. I don't necessarily agree with all the points made, though.

Specifically number 2, which says "Your Music Preferences Are Sealed by Adolescence". While I think that's true for a lot of people, in my case, I was still exploring and exposing myself to new music in my late teens. Although I do agree that my tastes seem to be settling as I get older...

What do you all think about this article? :wan-03:

I definitely do not agree with number two fully. My tastes in rock and metal were sealed by the time I was 18, but I kept exploring within the subgenre and started listening to things like folk metal and black metal, things my 18 year old self surely wouldn't have listened to. My taste in preferring Japanese music has remained, but I'm also branching out and exploring more European and American bands. I also started getting into jazz and hip-hop more, which are only tangentially related to rock music and had very little place in my musical upbringing. Funny enough, I used to listen to a lot of MoTown and funk growing up and now I hardly touch that stuff.

So that's a very gross oversimplification to the complexity that is musical taste.

Hmmz, I only got in touch with Japanese music when I was 18 xD, then came 5 years or so of VK listening, and now I'm an indiehead xD

niw, I think musical tastes are changing always, you can have preferences, and yeah, I'm always falling back on bands I liked in the late 90's, but I am still exploring.

10 years ago I'd never thought I would be enjoying acoustic folk as much as I do now etc...

I still like the same shizzel as 10 years ago.

I always did love rock/metal/hiphop.

and I always hated pop.

lolz. nothing did change that much.

And that has nothing to do with the taste of my parents because they have the taste of the 60ties..

And I really don't like that kind of music. I'm more 80ties,90ties,20ties :P

Can't contribute >.< Too young for this!

All I can say that my taste seems to not be moving anywhere right now. I am happy on what I'm listening to (:

Yep can't agree. I believe my taste is only kind of stucking now, when I believe I finally found my favorite genre, and even then it's kind of relative as I'm still searching for new genres... by the time I had 18/17 I listened mostly to metal and visual kei, lol.

I don't know...It sounds reasonable. But up until the age of 13 I only like stuff like The Black Eyed Peas and those pop songs from the early 2000's. But once I turned 14 I started listening to rock (j-rock specifically), and once 2010 came along, I got into V-kei and then got into the heavy genres. As a guitarist, I can say that I most likely won't change my tastes once I'm like 26. My love for rock is due to the compositions and the guitar sounds that stimulate me and I know that I won't ever grow tired of that. Maybe i'll branch out to other rock genres but I know I won't stop listening to bands like say, Alice Nine or The GazettE