Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Screw - Xanadu

Okay, I had some interest in this single since this is their debut single as a major label band and because their new tour has a reference to their mini-album [nanairo no reienka]. I thought that might mean somewhat of a return to their roots.

But this single was, for the most part, boring and sounds just like what they've been doing for like since [Deep Six].

The whole single just doesn't have any full songs that stand out. The 'good' bits of the songs that stand out aren't even that good and there aren't memorable melodies.

Songs like [ZOWIE] are just annoying because of that really corny back-up vocal chant and [glass cage] I don't even remember what it sounds like even after several listens.

Parts I DO want to praise:

- the intro and bass solo in [ZOWIE]. That defnitely was exciting and peaked my interest in the song (although, I hate everything else).

-[saezuru ha]'s chorus has a melody reminiscent of their [Fusion of the Core] days and the song flows smoothly; the main guitar cadence is interesting to listen too as well.

-[XANADU] has a chorus that is kind of catchy and the beginning guitar solo is awesome; you can really feel the stretch of the notes. The mid-soft section is great too.

So yeah, to be honest I'm not a fan of this single. I mean, I like their mini [nanairo no reienka] the best, but I found even a recent album [DUALITY] to be really good too. So, I know they can do better. With the small re-emergence of thier old style melodies in songs like [saezuru ha], I'm hoping this means the band will get more in touch with their roots and produce something really amazing. I still believe..

4/10

I'll give a pretty short review here. XANADU is a good single, I like it. While I don't think XANADU is any good especially after 6 listens, the rest of the B-sides are pretty damn good to me. 囀る刃 is most definitely right now in the ranking for one of my favorite songs from SCREW; Byou's voice doesn't bug me in any part of this song (or any of the other b-sides for that matter)and the guitar melodies and riffs are awesome. I love the chorus as well. The other 2 songs are the kind of songs I've always expected to come from SCREW (in a good way) and I love it.

7.5/10

I keep thinking of BRAINSTORM when I hear the title track and that's not good.

Im Rui's fan but im not sure if i can call myself a SCREW fan...but i loved this single SO MUCH, i think if they keep going on this way, they'll become my favorite band soon.

XANADU is a really catchy song, and i love all the parts of this song. 10/10

囀る刃 have awesome guitar and a strong and fuckin good chorus. LOVE. 10/10

Glass Cage is really good too, but kinda boring in a few parts. Still awesome, though 9,5/10

ZOWIE IS JUST 0124921IRUJWQHGTRWQJTR12K4RJHRQWJR. Forget the weird title and enjoy this fuckin awesome piece. I love that kind of SCREW songs (just like Wing Ding ♥) and they do Moash at live!!! Also, the bass solo @___@ 10/10

i think i dont need to say anything else, just looooved it. Can't wait for Teardrop ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Sign in to follow this