Sign in to follow this  
Kaito-sama

Suzaku - Zessaishu

UCCD-322.jpg

I know some of you were dissapointed by this release due to the lack of new tracks, but for a first listener, I imagine it would be an amazing album. Which is why I looked at this as if it were the first time, a lot of "good songs" on an album make it a good album in my books. Anyway here's the track by track:

1.) 人間失格 - Great intro, reminds me of what I wanted from Toxic's intro (aka more synths) Not much else to say.

2.) Magaru Suiren, Kakeru - Always been a song that I can't get enough of, and that hasn't changed. Love the insane range of his vocals, and the upbeat synths in the background.

3.) テオナナカトル - I came to like this one over time, due to the lack of a real chorus. In the end I think thats what I ended up liking about it, it seems like suzaku experimenting around with how crazy they can be, which is nice.

4.) Kosare Koi - A lot of people have valid reasons for disliking this song, especially since it was used in their first PV. It may not, initially, be up to snuff with their previous singles, but its actually kinda grown on me. The chorus is catchy enough, and the acoustic bits are a nice change, and set a good mood with the song. Not bad at all.

5.) Ouka Ranbu - Another one of their amazing singles, really catchy and has a nice flow to it. This is around when they went with an even more traditional sound. Yet they still remind me of MTH a little, mixed with Kiryu. One of my favorites for sure.

6.) 大義 - A ballad of sorts, and as such, pretty badass for a band that is so far removed from slow, soft songs. This feels like a hint of the band evolving in a sense, into what im not sure, but I like it.

7.) - This one..sooo good, as soon as the chorus hit, maybe even a little before, I was hooked. Its so energetic, intense, yet easy to follow. This is what made Magaru Suiren so catchy, and they can clearly continue to make songs as good as that. Makes me hopeful for future releases.

8.) Myourankunoid -class C- Another one of my favorites, easy to follow, very accessible for new listeners, nuff said.

9.) 舌禍粧 - The closest to a metal song we've got from them, and as such its pretty impressive. The vocals in the chorus are slightly under the rest of the instrumentation in a way that makes it amazing.

10.)『』曰わく、 - I always liked this one since it first came out, there's almost no screaming/growling because it doesn't need it. Its just plain catchy.

All in all, id give this an 7.5/10, great job for a first release.

I wont review with many words as i dont know what music is and i always listen to shit so i will tell my ratin based on my crappy tastes : 7/10

They got da crazy style that i love in vk aicle/kiryu style and maybe for some vocoder shit sucks but for me i got used to it pretty soon :P I liked most of the songs just the thing i didnt like was that many of the songs were too short and couldnt enjoy em to the fullest :P That's it ^^

I love this band! one of my favourite!

I thought a great album, but there are few new songs, I call it a "best-album" with several new songs.

Any fan of this band must have it!

I expect double type (one with DVD version containing PV, and another version with one (two) new songs or DVD with a One-man * - *)

I'm looking forward to my copy!

And expect new releases of this great band!

If you do not know and love Aicle. or Kiryu have to hear this.

My rating is 8/10 (for the lack of new songs and only Type)

I decided to try this out on a whim. For a visual band, they came through pretty well on my headphones. The different layers of synth and the vocals, when applicable, really stood out and sounded cool.

...and that's about it.

Listening to Zessaishu gave me the impression that none of the members of the band are particularly skilled composers. The songs are simple to the core: chug here, stop there, karate chop for good measure. Simple isn't bad - actually some of my most favorite songs are relatively simple - but they're just too simple. Some songs have absolutely no substance and rely way too much on the craziness of the vocals or the bombardment of electronics to pull through. Most other songs make you feel like you're listening to a three person band instead of a five person band. I expect a lack of polyphony from a band like Boris, not from Suzaku.

Zessaishu is fun but the appeal wears off very quickly. By the time I got to track seven, I felt that I had heard all that this band had to offer. This is extremely disappointing considering how long they were on hiatus - I expected them to churn out more than just three tracks worth revisiting. I doubt I'll give this another spin outside of a track or two where I thought Suzaku stepped up the ante and delivered a song without synth-laden gimmicks.

5/10. Suzaku needs to keep the experimental edge but work on making songs that are a little more complex than your average cookie baking recipe.

5/10. Suzaku needs to keep the experimental edge but work on making songs that are a little more complex than your average cookie baking recipe.

^

This

Sign in to follow this