Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

The truth behind ZeluvA

@zess you are such a whiny baby. "ah bloo bloo no1cares about my shitty indie band" why the fuck do you care so much. i listen to shit nobody cares about but you dont see me throwing a forum wide panty tantrum because people would rather listen to the gazette or w/e.

vk made this forum and vk will always make this forum. hth.

Even though you probably won't read this for a while I still feel the need to respond.

a) I was not behind the planning of this. I'm just the reporter.

B) I like talking about obscure music too. Please, shoot me if I can't share my opinions on certain things.

c) Please, grow up.

And as for everyone else, please try not to get so offended over this. Some of you are taking it way too seriously. It's just music.

How did I miss this trolling? :lol:

a band that if posted as is would have been overlooked because their music is "crappy/not worth listening to/doesn't have that VK charm"

Wait, who said this? I'm confused. Was this partly to get back at people who bashed UMBERBROWN or something?

Just listened to it, UMBERBROWN is not bad. Maybe you should have chosen a shitty non vk band instead. Also, there ARE some vk bands that sound like this (emo), I think they don't sound "far" enough from vk to make your point convincing. Plus, if this is what a NEW band sounds like, wouldn't it make them even more impressive?

Just be honest. If you want introduce their music and the band, you shouldn't do that troll. VK or not it doesn't matter. Who cares about it? They have great music and everyone have different taste of music.

Well, it's just my opinion.

Firstly, this was all my idea, so if any of you have any problems with it, direct your hate/insults/butthurtness at me. Cuz I give no fucks. :)

I have to say, I was a little offended by the way this BIG REVEAL was presented and the way some people are behaving.

Now, this situation: as someone who enjoys many different styles of music, I don't care if a band is visual or not. I'll check out a band if something catches my attention - visual or not. So I don't like being grouped in as a superficial person who only checked out this band because they were presented as visual kei. And don't say I'm misinterpreting...

Zess quote: "a band that if posted as is would have been overlooked because their music is 'crappy/not worth listening to/doesn't have that VK charm'"

Biopanda quote to wsp: "Except if we hadn't pretended that it was a VK band, then you and 99% of the other people who downloaded it would have completely skipped over the thread."

I first checked out the thread because the band name (ZeluvA) caught my attention. Then I downloaded the demo because of CAT5's recommendation and the fact it was a rare live distribution demo. The "cute VK guys" would have just been icing on the cake - but not a reason alone to check them out.

And I don't think I'm an exception to the majority. Why was the "ZeluvA demo" so popular? Because it was a new good looking visual kei band? No, not entirely....

You guys went out of your way to make sure it would be extremely appealing on all levels. There's many reasons people tried it out... NOT just because they were being presented as a visual kei band. The uploader is someone prominent and has community clout, the release was presented as a "promising must check out band," and a lot of people replied to keep the post near the top and ever present.

As I mentioned, I did download the single. I was impressed, I thought they had a lot of potential. So, I've just looked into UMBERBROWN. I even looked into the real ZeluvA after it was first posted. I thought something was weird considering the instrumental samples on their youtube channel were good, but nowhere near the same level as this "demo." But that's beside the point.

Anyway, UMBERBROWN... before the BIG REVEAL, I was impressed because I thought they had a lot of potential. I did like what I'd heard, but I wasn't blown away by them. But an interest was fueled by the fact that they were "newcomers with great potential."

Now, after the BIG REVEAL, there's no longer that potential - they're NOT newcomers. This is music created 8 years into their career. What kind of potential do they have? I'm still curious about them, but this does change my perspective - and it has NOTHING to do with them being visual or not.

And from what I've seen, a lot of people like them because of this false potential. If you'd wanted a truly successful experiment, then two musically equivalent bands should have been used. Or, at the very least, music from UMBERBROWN's early days.

You really can't take a well-established band and pass them off as a newcomer. They're at a far different level musically. This creates a false sense of potential in the "obscure band" and their music.

I'm sorry, but this is a failed experiment. No one should be acting as if everyone who downloaded this is a superficial loof who was taken in by the greatest dupe of all time.

Ironically, I actually feel this COULD have been great.... if handled differently.

Guest Magatsu

btw...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17774

please...

and....

I really think people should think..

its a good promotion for that VK band.

and also for the other band.

(^-^)/

and....

I really think people should think..

its a good promotion for that VK band.

and also for the other band.

(^-^)/

Actually, I meant to include something like this in my long rant ^^

At least one good point about the experiment, I'm really curious about BOTH bands now.

But I still think the experiment itself and people's reactions have been handled poorly.

Haha way to go guys !

I sometimes enjoy what we'd call "normal rock music" as well, but I didn't UMBERBROWN so that remains a nice "first time" for me ^^

It did sound much better than the usual VK beginners, which really intrigued me cuz ZeluvA really looks like the average short-life VK indie band.

You guys went out of your way to make sure it would be extremely appealing on all levels. There's many reasons people tried it out... NOT just because they were being presented as a visual kei band. The uploader is someone prominent and has community clout, the release was presented as a "promising must check out band," and a lot of people replied to keep the post near the top and ever present.

I may have "community clout", but my music posts have a history of being largely overlooked - no matter how highly I recommend them. In fact, most of them get a few replies and then sink into download forum oblivion. Feel free to go back and find some of my music posts - I can't make this shit up.

But hey, this time I slapped a big ol' "kawaii" pic of VK guys and I had 2 pages or replies in no time. So, did I go out of my way? Of course not...In fact, I put less effort into that Zeluva post than I do my normal music posts. VK is dominant here on MH, so I KNEW people would flock towards my zeluva post - I didn't have to do much of anything at all.

If you'd wanted a truly successful experiment, then two musically equivalent bands should have been used. Or, at the very least, music from UMBERBROWN's early days.

I'm sorry, but this is a failed experiment. No one should be acting as if everyone who downloaded this is a superficial loof who was taken in by the greatest dupe of all time.

Experiment...trolling...call it what you will. I had a theory, tested it, and got the results I expected. I think that's a success.

Also, I'll have you know that I NEVER ONCE called the zeluva release a demo. People just assumed it was. If it was actually a demo, I'm pretty sure there would be some info about it SOMEWHERE on the net, but no one even bothered to make sure the release was legit. Hell, the fact that I was posting a release by a VK band should have been a red flag LOL!

Also, I don't consider anyone who downloaded Zeluva to be a "superficial loof". I already know that the users here love VK, so I was hoping that this would encourage some of our users to expand their horizons. I just hope that people will be more open to trying new things regardless of how it's presented or packaged...you never know what you might like if you don't try it!

I may have "community clout", but my music posts have a history of being largely overlooked

Does that include their download numbers? Because more than half the posts in the Downloads section do not get a lot of replies. Doesn't always mean it's being largely overlooked.

Experiment...trolling...call it what you will. I had a theory, tested it, and got the results I expected. I think that's a success.

Also, I'll have you know that I NEVER ONCE called the zeluva release a demo. People just assumed it was. If it was actually a demo, I'm pretty sure there would be some info about it SOMEWHERE on the net, but no one even bothered to make sure the release was legit.

Sorry, but I don't agree. An experiment and trolling prank are two very different things. You had a hypthosis and created a flawed experiment (I've already stated the reasons I feel it was flawed). Thus, your results are inconclusive. And a prank doesn't prove anything either.

And while you didn't call it a demo, you strongly implied it (a CD-R copy with music that your friend wasn't sure if the band planned to release).

And, as I mentioned, I *DID* look into them. But their website is largely under construction. The news and discography sections actually says that: 準備中 ("in preparation/under construction"). So that doesn't necessarily mean there would be information about it yet. However, they DID have recent live shows. So that followed with what you said: "she got this release/CD-R from one of their live performances."

My point... there's nothing out there to suggest this was a fake because there isn't a lot of information about the real ZeluvA yet. Wasn't that the point of Biopanda finding a really obscure VK band? So that the legitimacy wouldn't be easily brought into question?

Also, I don't consider anyone who downloaded Zeluva to be a "superficial loof". I already know that the users here love VK, so I was hoping that this would encourage some of our users to expand their horizons. I just hope that people will be more open to trying new things regardless of how it's presented or packaged...you never know what you might like if you don't try it!

Now THIS is one of the most sensible things I've seen said about this situation. And I agree with you here, completely.

Can we leave the "big people act like assholes and you should be more inviting" for the "What can we do for YOU?" topic? I just want to make sure we're not going to derail immensely.

Can we leave the "big people act like assholes and you should be more inviting" for the "What can we do for YOU?" topic? I just want to make sure we're not going to derail immensely.

Sorry. I've moved that comment.

Fukk, pranked xD

That's why the vocalist sounds much better than their previous demos... xDD

But the guitar parts sounds well, exactly like Zeluva's stuffs, so, this was a good choice xD

Now, i need to retag this xD

Wouldn't you continue to enjoy it now even when you know the truth?

Why? Is there anybody who aren't interested in a band, cuz' they aren't look n' sound like a vk band ?

This is like the console war era (between PS2-Xbox-GameCube).. i mean... c'mon, just enjoy your stuffs~

i had this reaction because i swear i am sure i have seen the same joke before in this forum.

?! and i lol'd the first time but now i was ...

(plus i feel i am crazy how am i the only one to remember something)

first of all you should never stop wanting to convince people to be more open minded.

second i still believe that people just prefer vkei more and choose vkei bands over non-vkei consciously and that doesn't mean they are shallow or close minded.

it's just their choice (they prefer vkei looks with the music)

but of course they are the people who so blatantly obvious care only about looks and don't admit it. i am annoyed by that too. yeah good luck with them affecting them

Fukk, pranked xD

But the guitar parts sounds well, exactly like Zeluva's stuffs, so, this was a good choice xD

Why? Is there anybody who aren't interested in a band, cuz' they aren't look n' sound like a vk band ?

This is like the console war era (between PS2-Xbox-GameCube).. i mean... c'mon, just enjoy your stuffs~

Just something I've been wondering... what are these previous demos you're talking about anyways? XD All of their demos are just MIDI instrumentals with no vocals.

Fukk, pranked xD

Just something I've been wondering... what are these previous demos you're talking about anyways? XD All of their demos are just MIDI instrumentals with no vocals.

Yeah, i know. But they first upload was a demo and contained three songs, but they deleted that T_T

I did not download the file, I did not know about the post. I don't get this at all. Was the point to prove that music is ecually awesome/bad/mediocre/whatever regadless of how the musician behind it is dressed? I think most people know that. Also, Visual Kei it's not even a music genre. I really don't get it.

I gess that it was to convince VK-only listeners that the rest of japanese rock is as good if not better than vk...? but even if it's so, what's the purpose at all? like if what people chooses to listen is part of your buisness. Is ok to promote a bigger, argelby more interesting part of the japanese music in a, well, japanese music forum but I think you don't have nothing to prove. People can choose what to listen to. You don't have to aggresively put the music you want people to listen to infront of their faces likes this. If they have genuine interes for japanese music, their interest will shift of expand from VK. But if they are just interested in tranny overdressed dudes playing some rock music, I would personally choose to leave them alone.

Was that the point of the disguised songs or did I completely missed it? because it barely makes sense to me, honestly.

um, never thought of this mmore than a prank but seeing people's reactions now... Can I ask you two questions?

did you expect something to change with that revelation, and whose pics did you use for this experiment, btw?

um, never thought of this mmore than a prank but seeing people's reactions now... Can I ask you two questions?

did you expect something to change with that revelation, and whose pics did you use for this experiment, btw?

1. Not really... we weren't expecting any changes, but if people did end up liking UMBERBROWN as a result then that's great.

2. The pics we used were of the actual band called ZeluvA.

I just tried Zeluva because of all this hype.

And sorry to disagree with you all guys. VK or Non-Vk, their music isnt that great. Me no likie.