Sign in to follow this  
Manabu

Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas- All That We Have Now

Acceleration- Not an amazing song by any means, the synth is catchy and the song works well as an opener, the outro ruins the song for me but overall I'd give it a few more listens purely because of the main melody

Crossover- Sounds a bit messy but I love the whole siren sounding synth line, the bass break and the new techniques from the vocalist, hate the breakdowns, would probably mix them out if the vocals weren't so good in it. No singing at all which is a bit dissapointing but they wanted to try new things and I can't blame them for that

Scream Hard as You Can: Without a doubt one of the best songs on the album. Nice to hear a keyboard solo and a song that balances the harsh and clean (hehe) vocals well. This song much like crossover shows that the harsh vocalist is trying more techniques and they work well. The bridge to the dance/techno part seems a little awkward and misplaced but one of their best songs without doubt.

How Old You are Never Forget Your Dream- Starts off a bit boring but it's decent, I'm not sure how many times I'd listen to this, the guitar doesn't sound right when it comes around the 1 minute work and the screaming over the slow calm parts is just annoying. None the less it builds up well and it's a decent sort of ballad song

Interlude 1- There's not that much to say about this, it's catchy and sounds a lot different to their other interludes and it seems as though falilv have move towards to using more piano. My only grip is the bridge with the drums, in my opinion it's out of place and comes in out of nowhere.

Just Awake- I wasn't going to review the singles but I've already done shayc. This is just a basic falilv song, the kind of song you'd show to a first time listener, nothing stands out, catchy and it sums up their music well, best part of the song is probably the outro

Defeat and Beat- Wow! Definantly trying a lot of new things with this album, sweet bass and drum start, guitar playing counter melodies to the synth and for once it seems like there's a song where each instrument is doing something interesting, has quite an army march sound and some almost power metal sounding parts. I find this their most interesting song just because of the structure, one of the best songs on the album

In the end, the Choice is All Yours- Starts off with a generic metalcore riff, synth comes in playing a megaman sounding riff, the sort of thing you'd expect from falilv. These bad bridges seem to be a bit of a recurring theme sound in this album, the song has good parts but some of them just don't suit it, that accordian is just annoying and well, just sounds silly, almost as if they put it in as a joke. The song has some redeeming qualities, a nice synth line around 2.30 which turns into an even better one and some epic harsh vocals, just not structured well.

Ley-Line- Funky club sounding intro and synths, it's just predictable, you know what will go next, even with some of the diverse lines they've put, you still know where it's going. Another silly sounding song too, hate those harsh vocals in the breakdown. Not sure if I'd listen to it again, seems like the song that would grow on you. Can't hear much guitar in this either, it's either too quiet or not doing much.

Interlude 2- Sounds like there's a bit of traditional japanese music in here, it's just an interlude so I won't spend too much time on it but yeah it has the whole bridge problem, the effects on the vocals get annoying too.

Don't Suffer Alone- Final stage in SSBM anyone? or any epic boss battle stage for that matter, epic sounding intro ruined by a drum bridge, I can't say the rest of the song is as epic but it's catchy, guitar does some interesting stuff and the synth and guitar compliment each other nicely. I guess you would call it breakdown, really dislike it but the vocals are quite original and there's a nice little piano bit. Outro is pretty cool though.

Hmmm so to sum it up, this a lot better than nextreme but that's not that surprising. They've definantly tried to experiment more on this album, some of it works really well but some of if it doesn't. They've managed to retain their original sound which can be heard in some songs and they've definantly progressed as musicians so because of that I'd say it's their best album yet, a bit of dance and scream style but plenty of new interesting stuff

This is my first time listening to the album; let's see what these guys cooked up! :)

Acceleration: fun and energetic, a good start. Has all the elements of a typical FaLiLV song, and that synth (?) solo is a nice touch. Has a pretty wild/unexpected ending.

Scream Hard as You Can: maybe a bit more metallic/beefy, I approve! The little bits like the random piano bit, the aggressive synths or the backing shouts make this song great.

Crossover: ever since seeing the PV I can't help but love this song. It's so crazy and relentless, even for FaLiLV standards, surprisingly without clean vocals. The breakdown and that bass interlude are insaaane.

How Old You are Never Forget Your Dream: more mellow and melodic, with nice piano and acoustic guitar parts. After the previous sensory overload this one's kinda plain though; average.

Interlude 1: continuing the piano vibe from the last track, blooming into a nice little mini-song. Most of it sounds kinda new from these guys; pretty cool.

Just Awake: the ending of the interlude already foreshadowed the more electronic qualities of this song (nice transition!). Can't say anything new about this track, it's still cool, still lovin' it.

Defeat and Beat: pretty badass beginning, topped off with an equally awesome guitar riff. Has that rollicking kind of beat characteristic of "dark but poppy" industrial rock/metal. The middle reminded me of Maximum The Hormone with its vocals craziness, then it's back to familiar territory. Awesome song.

In the End, the Choice is All Yours: lol old-school synths and accordion. Typical song for them, but with added craziness. Totally works for me. Love that short mellow part in the middle too. Oh god, that breakdown part and folky synth...this is almost too much. But so amazing, haha.

Ley-Line: when I first experienced this song as a PV it didn't strike me as anything special (more like irritating), but I like how it fits here. Kind of a breath of fresh air after the extravaganza of the previous track. Not bad at all.

Interlude 2: well this is...nice I guess, lol. A bit of a symphonic touch and all-over-the-place. For an interlude it's okay, though a bit disjointed.

Don't Suffer Alone: very epic melodies, pretty good. Nothing special till the middle, then it breaks into this crazy screamy metal part followed by random piano, lol. The last minute has some pretty cool stuff going on too.

Overall this was a pretty awesome album. Especially since I found the NEXTREME mini album kinda lackluster, with only a few interesting moments. While here the fun and craziness almost lasts from start to finish, very impressive! The sound is impeccable too, crystal-clear and full of power where it's needed. I think I might have to buy this too, like their first album, it's that good. I'd give it a strong 8/10. Good stuff!

This was my first time listening to this band so I wasn’t sure what to expect. When I did give it a spin I was surprised at what I heard. Rock tinged with lots of synths, autotune and some metal. The music has a light feeling to it, probably because its upbeat and poppy for the most part. The synths and electronic parts are well done, but the music production is lacking. This is particularly noticeable when you compare it to other bands who mash together rock and metal with trance, techno, synths and all other matter of electronic components. Those things just kinda feel cheap on this release.

Another problem I had while listening to this was the overuse of the damn autotune on the vocals. I don’t mind some autotune, or when bands use cool effects like glitched, delayed, and layered vocals, but I feel too much autotune just detracts from the music.(Same problem Attack Attack had.)

Things I did like was the metal part of the songs, the growls, and the cool breakdowns and the transitions from the upbeat synthrock side to the metal side. I believe there was also use of a arpeggiated pianos which I thought was cool.

So for the first time listening to this band, they’ve left me with a lukewarm impression. I like some of what they’ve got going on, and there’s a definite potential, just get rid of the overuse of autotune and tighten up the sound production.

7/10

I could not, and I mean could not, make it though the first few tracks of this album. The way that autotune is just piled on to every song kills anything that I could enjoy about the album.

One of the best albums 2012. Wont do a song by song review but all in all an amazing album.

Each song has strong melodic parts and freaky synths, love it! 9/10

Btw, In the end, the choice is all yours is just too awesome :D

Not to forget to mention the funky chorus in Defeat and beat! Also the killer Crossover, or the outro in Just awake... oh man i love this shit! Cant wait for new releases!

Sign in to follow this