Maiku

The Monochrome Heaven Cook Book

I thought it'd be cool if we had a place to share our favorite recipes with each other and have a place to talk about cooking food. 8D

ALRIGHT!

Really wish I had some pictures but pretty much GARLIC MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER even cereal.

Lately my favourite dishes is pan seared asparagus in olive oil and garlic. It's pretty damn easy, just chop up the asparagus into small bite size pieces, cover it in olive oil, toss some minced garlic on top, some salt, pepper and cook that shit. Once they are cooked through you're done!

Another but a bit more expensive is buying tuna steaks and searing that. Pretty much the same as above, coat the pan in some olive oil, heat some minced garlic in the oil on the highest heat setting. Toss the steak on and sear all the sides and sprinkle some salt and pepper on it. Cook it to how raw you want it.

COST

Overall it's about $10 a meal.

A 16 oz tuna steak is about $27 but I'm also buying it from Pike Place so it has tourist mark up and it's sashimi grade so marks it slightly more. You don't need sashimi grade but that's pretty much my only option. Since it's only me, I can split that into three meals so $9 of steak each meal.

Asparagus is pretty cheap, depends on where I go but last I bought it, it was $1.88lb and usually I only cook about half that per meal.

You can get cheaper tuna steaks at Costco but Costco is pretty far from my home and the time spent getting there really offsets the money I would save buying it there.

^ I agree on the garlic, however, asparagus is one of the few things I don't like, so that's not for me. Tuna on the other hand.... yummy.

Anyway, here's something that I recently made:

294909_342735859119982_100001507124123_958563_1828247423_n.jpg

You need:

Pasta (I used Farfalle but whatever floats your boat)

shrimp or prawns

tomatoes (preferably cherry or cocktail tomatoes)

cream cheese

basil

garlic

fresh basil

olive oil

salt & pepper

optional: white wine

Boil the pasta as usual. In the meantime, sear the garlic in oil, deglaze with a bit of white wine if wanted. Add shrimp, tomatoes and cream cheese, let it cook for a few minutes, finally add a bit salt, pepper and the fresh basil and serve with the pasta.

It's really simple and seriously deliscious.

541234_10100414169458209_32816567_44870765_1749875066_n.jpg

Umm... I made sukiyaki for the first time last night!

I didn't make it look fancy like in any of the pictures though. cooking things separately in different parts of the pan is for chumps. Real men just toss everything in there and have at it. As far as actually making it, it was quite simple.

For the most part it was just cutting up the following:

• [*:2dp2ct7y]beef top round steak
    [*:2dp2ct7y]shirataki noodles
    [*:2dp2ct7y]enoki mushrooms
    [*:2dp2ct7y]shimeji mushrooms
    [*:2dp2ct7y]leek
    [*:2dp2ct7y]napa cabbage
    [*:2dp2ct7y]agedashi tofu
    [*:2dp2ct7y]shungiku

then letting them simmer covered in a sauce made from:

• [*:2dp2ct7y]tamari soy sauce
    [*:2dp2ct7y]rice wine
    [*:2dp2ct7y]splenda(gotta keep it low-carb lol)
    [*:2dp2ct7y]water

more-or-less until the cabbage has cooked down and softened. Then I just cracked a few eggs on top, covered the pan and removed it from the stove letting the residual heat cook the eggs a bit(but still leaving them somewhat runny).

I had actually meant to put some other stuff in there but forgot to, but it was amazing anyways!

I just want to eat all your food. ;__; Come cook for me~! Especially Arithmetica cause those garlic asparagus things sound great. ;O; <3

I just want to eat all your food. ;__; Come cook for me~! Especially Arithmetica cause those garlic asparagus things sound great. ;O; <3

So that was the real point of this thread, huh? :lol:

Old picture, but I'd make some gay bread for you again <3

JGyrj.jpg?1

Ahaahaha. 8D

WTF. How'd you do that? And does it taste like bread or does it taste... I dunno... erm... uh ... Gay?

Ahaahaha. 8D

WTF. How'd you do that? And does it taste like bread or does it taste... I dunno... erm... uh ... Gay?

It was a sweet bread, so it didn't just taste like regular bread. I was thinking of making each color a different fruit flavor somehow, but that'd be too much effort XD As for how I did it, I made bread dough and split it into 4 balls, kneading food coloring into each after that I sorta... layered them in a bread pan and baked it.

Bwaaa. Def try making them different flavors. Then sell them from a stand on the side of a gay pride parade. Have signs like "GAY BREAD" and "FRUITY FLAVORED GAY BREAD." Ahahaha. 8D

Bwaaa. Def try making them different flavors. Then sell them from a stand on the side of a gay pride parade. Have signs like "GAY BREAD" and "FRUITY FLAVORED GAY BREAD." Ahahaha. 8D

lol well I did make it for the local uni's queer-straight alliance bake sale. I'm sure it'd sell like hotcakes at pride though :o

FUCK YOU GUYS! YOUR FOOD LOOKS SO GOOD T________________________T

I already did my shopping for the week but I think I'll try Champ's next week, I already have pasta but I don't have farfalle.

I am thinking I should try Biopandas and cook a ton of it on a Sunday night, have it for dinner and keep the left overs for lunch to eat through the week. Just not sure how I'll do the eggs for lunch, fried egg like that would suck cold :-\

Last night I made my specialty.

INGEDIENTS:

1/2 cup of Brown Rice.

1 cup of boiling water.

1/2 cup of not boiling water

DIRECTIONS:

Step 1: Boil water. Let cool for a couple seconds. Dump it all over dat brown rice.

Step 2: Let that shit chill for as long as you want~. Read for like an hour or so.

Step 3: Add dat non-boiling water. Then bring to a boil. Then lower heat and let it simmer until all water is evaporated. (Sometimes you may need to add more water. If you have a kettle you can keep relatively hot water on hand and add it if you notice it needs more water. It's pretty easy to tell. Every time I make rice it needs different amounts of water...)

Step 4: Serve in a bowl. Add organic sustainably harvested sea-salt.

Step 5: Devour while watching television.

541234_10100414169458209_32816567_44870765_1749875066_n.jpg

Umm... I made sukiyaki for the first time last night!

This looks incredible.

Also, props to all your dishes. It's nice to see some chefs here. :P

my flatmate recently had her birthday, so i decided to make her some oreo-icecream-flowerpot-cupcakes...

Image---Image

this is how it goes

you need flowerpot, oreos, straws, icecream of your choice, biscuit or cakebottom (dont know the name in english but i suppose you understand...)

1. cut straw to a size slightly less than the hight of the pot. cut round pieces out of the cake-bottom so that they fit on the ground of the flowerpot.

2. stick the straw into that biscuit and begin to fill the pot with icecream (its better if the icecream is slightly melted or fluffy to put it in...)

here it is only half full, because i layered two different icecreams, should be close to the straw-top in the end.

(bonus points: put a gummiworm in there for combo-multiplier...)

3. put those pots in the freezer in the meantime and take your oreos, put them into a plastic-bag and treat them viciously with a tiny little hammer

it should look pretty dirt-like in the end

4. sprinkle that on top of the pots

5. and stick a flower in. voilà

Gotta bump this thread for now and finally add a recipe of my own. Not exactly a meal, but rather a snack.. because everyone loves cookies, right? These sugar cookies are sweet, soft, and flavorful. I like to either frost them with royal icing and decorate them, or just top with decorative sugar / sprinkles etc and bake.

I drop these cookies by eye so I don't have a set time yet, although I can come up with one for tablespoon measurements if anyone thinks it's truly necessary. I usually just check after 8-10 minutes in the oven and if they're done I can easily tell if the dough has cooked, and I don't let them brown around the edges anymore than a slight gold tint.

Yasupon's Drop Sugar Cookies
Might snap a picture of them later, right now there is none...

Ingredients:

2 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Soft Butter (One U.S Stick)
1/2 Cup Shortening (I use Butter Flavored Crisco)
1 Egg
2 tsp Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 Cups Domino's Sugar (Or Ordinary Cane Sugar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt in a large bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the Butter, Shortening, and Sugar: cream until well combined (about a minute should be sufficient). Beat in the egg and cream on medium or medium-high speed until the mixture starts to turn a light yellow. Beat in the Vanilla, and then add in the flour mixture, little by little, and beat in until well combined. Drop cookies to the size of your liking onto ungreased cookie / baking sheets. Make sure to spread them apart at least an inch and a half away from each other. Typical time will take around 8-10 minutes on a well heated oven, but varies depending on the size of your cookies and how long the oven has been preheating. I like to make these dropping large pinchfuls of dough that I flatten in the pan, (about the size of the circle if you make your middle finger and thumb touch nails) in which it takes about 10 or so minutes to finish.

Before baking you can add in toppings, such as sugar, or decorative sugar (the decorative sugar will not burn), or you can create a royal icing for these cookies, which is more fun, but more work.. Royal Icing uses pasteurized egg whites, or you can use spray dried egg whites instead. If you're worried about salmonella even using pasteurized eggs, egg white powder is already cooked, and does the job just as well.

Here's a basic recipe for royal icing:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/royal-icing-iii/

If you're worried about the raw egg, you can replace the pasteurized egg whites with 1 tablespoon and one teaspoon of dried egg whites, and some water until frosting is pipable, which means not too thick but not too thin. You can skip the cream of tartar.

I be thinkin itz time fo' me ta brang back dis thread.

E0Hl6qw.jpg

It was four up in tha mornin n' I wanted suttin' ta snack on so I made some parmesan zucchini chips fried up in coconut oil. They was pimped out.

Dude seriously. Start posting in here or else it seems like I'm just goin' hog wild in this thread. Anyways, I made this low-carb deep dish pizza a few days ago. I'm a Chicago native, so I know my deep dish pizzas, and this hit the spot VERY well. Plus it was low carb and totally fit with my diet \o/ Yay for having the most awesome(and very effective) diet XD

XVUT04K.jpg

And the moneyshot...

69FBEJh.jpg

The crust was made with a combination of almond meal, eggs and melted extra sharp cheddar cheese. For the inside, I layered on italian pork sausage, hard salami, pepperonis, mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce(just minced tomatoes and salt blended together) and a light dusting of parmesan cheese. The only gripe I really had with it would be that there wasn't enough sauce and cheese, but I kinda botched the sides a bit and didn't make them as tall as they should have been, leaving less room for the filling. I suppose I'll thin out the crust more and make the sides higher next time then everything will be golden :3

Oh and I dunno... maybe add some sort of vegetable *shrug*. Or just more meat lol

god damn you guys are making me hungry

i literally can't make anything more advanced than a peanut butter + jelly sandwich i am cry

That pizza looks awesome! I might be interested in making my pizza like this next time. Do you happen to have a special recipe for this, Biopanda?

Well, the recipe I used was specifically a low-carb one to fit with my diet, but here it is anyways Chicago-style Stuffed Pizza. I'm sure if you looked up chicago-style deep dish/stuffed pizza then you could easily find a normal recipe that would get you really close as well though.

I can't cook at all and also... don't really want to BUT I just found this thread and admire you guys. :D Everything looks and sounds really good.