Sign in to follow this  
futoshi92

Japanese Language Proficiency Test

The Japanese Language Proficiency Test (日本語能力試験 Nihongo Nōryoku Shiken), or JLPT, is a standardized criterion-referenced test to evaluate and certify Japanese language "proficiency" (this must be defined without reference to productive skills such as writing and speaking) for non-native speakers.

The JLPT was expanded to five levels in 2010, with passing Level N5 denoting simple language abilities, and Level N1 denoting advanced language abilities. The test is held twice a year in Japan and selected countries and areas on the first Sunday of July and December, and once a year in other regions on the first Sunday of December.

From 1984 to 2009 the test had four levels, with Level 4 testing basic-level materials and Level 1 testing advanced-level materials. In 2010, a new level was inserted between the old 2 and 3, meaning the current N5 corresponds to the old Level 4. In 2008, the Japanese government announced a plan under consideration to use the JLPT to screen applicants for long-term and permanent resident visas.

In its previous format, the JLPT was divided into three sections: "Characters and Vocabulary" (100 points), "Listening Comprehension" (100 points), and "Reading Comprehension and Grammar" (200 points).

Test Sections

The first section (文字・語彙, moji, goi) tests knowledge of vocabulary and various aspects of the Japanese writing system. This includes identifying the correct kanji characters for given situations, selecting the correct hiragana readings for given kanji, choosing the appropriate terms for given sentences, and choosing the appropriate usage of given words.

The second section (聴解, chōkai) comprises two sub-sections that test listening comprehension. The first involves choosing the picture which best represents the situation presented by a prerecorded conversation. The second is of a similar format but presents no visual clues.

Section three (読解・文法, dokkai, bunpō) uses authentic or semi-authentic reading passages of various lengths to test reading comprehension. Questions include prompts to fill in blank parts of the text and requests to paraphrase key points. Grammar questions request that examinees select the correct grammar structure to convey a given point or test conjugations and postpositional particle agreement.

Has anyone these writen JLPT? This December I'm writing the N3 level, it was not long ago introduced between level 3 and 2 in previous format. I've written the test at basic level 4 in 2009, before new format appeared and next in year later, so I've already got two certificates marked as "Level 4" on my shelf. :mrgreen: This is already a big move forward with Japanese skills, since I've always heard that one should go to Japan to pass it. And I'm probably gonna be the first in my hometown who will have JLPT passed at that level :)

Anyway, feel free to share your experience with JLPT if you've also written it.

I'm planning to take N2 soon, but it's kind of a huge undertaking since I can't take the test in my homecountry and I'm a bit paranoid about spending a lot of travel expenses and then failing :/

Sign in to follow this