Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

Nile

Nile+bandbrutaldeathmetalmetal1.jpg

Nile is a technical death metal band from USA. They formed in their hometown of Greenville, SC, in 1993. They combine extreme speed and brutality of modern death metal with the ancient styling of middle eastern music.

Anyone else into this band? I think they might be my favorite death metal band of all time - eventhough I don't listen to them regularly, but once I start it's hard to stop. :mrgreen: Their compositions, the brutality, the catchiness, the Eastern/Egyptian influences and occasional unusual instruments, and the powerful multi-vocals, I love just about everything by them. I like how the whole Egyptian theme is not just tacked-on, but almost every song's lyrics and mythological/historical background is explained in the booklets, making it an interesting combination of metal and mythology. My fave album is In Their Darkened Shrines probably because it's the most "epic" and diverse IMO. I only recently listened to their newest one, Those Whom the Gods Detest (2009), and I feel it might be my new favorite.

Also worth mentioning is Nile creative mastermind/guitarist/vocalist Karl Sanders' solo work, which is like taking the atmosphere and ancient musical influences of Nile, but stripping away the death metal, putting it into an ambient/world music framework. In short, it's pretty kickass. :D

Some cool stuff for those of you who want to check them out:

COApujFgFRY

hIlypUdEtW8

igSEHmfy828

They've begun recording their upcoming album today actually. ;)

I think I listened to a few of their songs a while back, but I never took the proper time to get into them.

I'd like to revisit them though. What would be a good album to start? I have "Those Whom The Gods Detest" on my HD already, but I'm open for other suggestions.

^ If you like more raw/stripped-down old-school death metal sound, I suggest Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka. If you'd like to try something more complex/longer/epic, then either In Their Darkened Shrines or Those Whom the Gods Detest. Other albums are good too, but these are the ones where individual songs stood out to me the most.

If I remember right the new albums didn't even feature much death metal riffing without a noticeable prog influence to it as far as I'm concerned. At least now that I quickly browsed through my library of their stuff it seems that they are abandoning more Death metal from their sound with each release. That's either good or bad depending on your taste in metal of course.

I like the oldest stuff and can listen to the newer if subjected to. Saw them in February with Melechesh and they are fucking tight live. The drummer is insane and even if you don't like the music you'll enjoy it regardless. They all seem like really nice guys and all.

^ Yeah, George Kollias is IMO one of the best extreme metal drummers out there (not that I listen to a lot of extreme metal myself xD), he can do pretty insane stuff on his kit. As for the lessening of death metal in their music, I can't really comment on that, I'm just a casual listener (not an expert at these genres) - but yeah, their old music is much more straightforward and "pounding" stuff, like regular death metal (if that's what you mean). The new stuff has much much more technical/other kind of parts.

Haven't seen them live, but hope to be catching them next time they tour here. :)

^ If you like more raw/stripped-down old-school death metal sound, I suggest Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka. If you'd like to try something more complex/longer/epic, then either In Their Darkened Shrines or Those Whom the Gods Detest. Other albums are good too, but these are the ones where individual songs stood out to me the most.

Ok, thanks, I will give those a try.

Tracklist:

01. Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame

02. The Fiends Who Come to Steal the Magick of the Deceased (click to listen ^^)

03. The Inevitable Degradation of Flesh

04. When My Wrath is Done

05. Slaves of Xul

06. The Gods Who Light Up the Sky at the Gate of Sethu

07. Natural Liberation of Fear Through the Ritual Deception of Death

08. Ethno-Musicological Cannibalisms

09. Tribunal of the Dead

10. Supreme Humanism of Megalomania

11. The Chaining of the Iniquitous

Bonus:

12. Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame (Instrumental)

13. The Inevitable Degradation of Flesh (Instrumental)

Anyone listened to the new album yet? It's been out for a few weeks now. It's pretty nice IMO, though it took a bit more listens than usual for me to fully get into it.

ah, it's been 6 years...

nice technical death metal band with some oriented influenced.

and members do have excellent skills.

Sign in to follow this