Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Alice In Chains

AliceInChains-Press3.jpg

Alice in Chains is an American rock band formed in Seattle, Washington, in 1987 by guitarist and songwriter Jerry Cantrell and original lead vocalist Layne Staley. The initial lineup was rounded out by drummer Sean Kinney, and bassist Mike Starr (who was replaced in 1993 by Mike Inez). Cantrell, Kinney and Inez are still members of the band.

Widely associated with grunge music, the band's sound incorporates heavy metal and acoustic elements. Since its formation, Alice in Chains has released four studio albums, three EPs, two live albums, four compilations, and two DVDs. The band is known for its distinct vocal style which often included the harmonized vocals of Staley and Cantrell. Although never officially disbanding, Alice in Chains was plagued by extended inactivity from 1996 onwards due to substance abuse, which resulted in in the 2002 death of Layne Staley, and the 2011 death of former bassist Mike Starr (who left the band in 1993). The band reunited in 2005 with new lead vocalist William DuVall and released Black Gives Way to Blue, their first studio album in 14 years, on September 29, 2009. Alice in Chains is currently working on a new album, which is rumored for release in early 2012.

Although Alice in Chains has been labeled grunge by the mainstream media, fans and critics alike have disdained the grunge label and have felt the grunge label is inaccurate. Jerry Cantrell identifies the band as primarily heavy metal. He told Guitar World in 1996; "We're a lot of different things... I don't quite know what the mixture is, but there's definitely metal, blues, rock and roll, maybe a touch of punk. The metal part will never leave, and I never want it to". Alice in Chains has sold more than 14 million albums in the United States, and around 35 million worldwide, released two number-one albums and 21 top 40 singles, and has received eight Grammy nominations. The band was ranked number 34 on VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock. Alice in Chains was named 15th greatest live band by Hit Parader, with vocalist Layne Staley placing as 27th greatest vocalist of all time. The band's second album, Dirt, was named 5th best album in the last two decades by Close-Up magazine. In August 2009, Alice in Chains won the Kerrang! Icon Award.

Alice in Chains has had a large impact on many bands, such as Godsmack, who, according to Jon Wiederhorn of MTV, "have sonically followed Alice in Chains' lead while adding their own distinctive edge". Godsmack singer and founder Sully Erna has also cited Layne Staley as his primary influence.Staind has covered Alice in Chains' song "Nutshell" live, which appears on the compilation The Singles: 1996-2006, and also wrote a song entitled "Layne", in Staley's dedication, on the album 14 Shades of Grey.Three Days Grace also performs a cover of "Rooster", which can be seen on the DVD Live at the Palace. Other bands that have been inspired by Alice in Chains include Creed, Nickelback, Taproot, Stone Sour, Puddle of Mudd, Godsmack, Smile Empty Soul, Avenged Sevenfold, Cold, Hurt, Days of the New and Tantric. Metallica said they've always wanted to tour with the band, citing Alice in Chains as a major inspiration for their 2008 release, Death Magnetic. Metallica also recorded "Shine" as a tribute to Layne Staley, but the song was left off Death Magnetic due to manufacturing restrictions.

Alice in Chains has also had a significant influence on modern heavy metal. Their songs were covered by various metal bands such as Opeth, Dream Theater,Suicide Silence and Grave. Pantera and Damageplan guitarist Dimebag Darrell had expressed his admiration for Jerry Cantrell's guitar work in an interview for Guitar International saying that "the layering and the honest feel that Jerry Cantrell gets is worth a lot more than someone who plays five million notes". Anders Fridén of Swedish melodic death metal band In Flames cited Layne Staley as an inspiration for his vocals on the band's later albums. In addition to fellow musicians, the band has also received praise from critics, with Steve Huey of Allmusic calling them "one of the best metal bands of the '90s" upon reviewing the 1999 compilation Nothing Safe.

Alice In Chains - Grind

Alice In Chains - Would?

Not only are they one of my favorite bands, but Layne Staley is one my favorite vocalists and Jerry Cantrell is one of my favorite guitarists. I always loved Layne’s epic voice and his vocal technique. And I always thought Jerry’s use of the whah pedal was genius and find his riffing and soloing to be tasteful but powerful. I was pleasantly surprised with Black Gives Way to Blue. It still had that Alice In Chains sound and I liked Duvall’s vocals. He's the only guy in the metal scene I know of with an afro. Ended up seeing these guys perform on the Black-Diamond-Skye tour. They were epic.

They're cool (and no doubt a legendary band on the grunge scene). :) I haven't heard all their albums, just the first two (and their EPs) but those were pretty awesome. Gonna check out the other stuff soon too.

The name got me and i just had to click on the link. Good stuff!

They are one of the bands out there with a cool and interesting name. But you should check out some of their albums. I recommend Dirt. Or you can check out some of their greatest hits compilations. For some reason they have a tons of those even though they've only put out 4 official studio albums. i guess that's what labels do when you become one of those "legendary" bands.

Taken from the bands site:

Every day for the next 10 days, a new lyrical phrase from our brand new song “Hollow” will be posted at @aliceinchains on Instagram. We want you to create an image inspired by or featuring a single word or phrase from those lyrics. Next, share those photos on Instagram or Twitter tagging #HOLLOWAIC. On 12/18, visit aliceinchains.com/hollow to see your photos and other fan photos from around the world, then hear and become, “Hollow.”

This is cool. I'm guessing they'll be releasing a new song soon. Don't know if that's what they mean when they say then hear and become hollow, but I'm glad they're beginning to get active again.

I like how Hollow and their other new material still has the Alice In Chains sound everyone loves. The brooding grunge, the dark lyrics and the slow churning metal guitars. And according to Jerry the new album is complete. I'm excepting a release date to be announced soon.

So... the new album is out! :) I'm listening to it now for the first time. Towards the end now, I gotta say it's pretty nice.

Also gotta love the title, "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" :D

Yeah the title is pretty cool. And I've been listening to it and it's pretty hefty. Over an hour long in duration, but the guys still have it. Lots of cool riffs from Jerry and lots of dark alternative metal. The longer songs are quite epic(Phantom Limb) and Pretty Done sounds like it could be from the 90's version of the band. Album is bad ass all around and I'm glad it's not as over produced like Black Gives Way To Blue was.

Sign in to follow this