Sign in to follow this  
futoshi92

Anthem

artist_7647_5226.jpg

Anthem is a legendary Japanese heavy metal band founded in Tokyo during 1981 as a quartet of singer Toshihito Maeda, guitarist Akifumi Koyanagi, bass player (Naoto Shibata) ("Ski") and drummer Takamasa Ohuchi. Koyanagi left in late 1983 to be replaced by Hiroya Fukada. In December 1984 vocalist Toshihito Maeda also left and Anthem drafted (Eizo Sakamoto) for their debut eponymous album issued in July 1985 by Nexus and licensed to Europe via Roadrunner Records. Their first release was the self-titled "Anthem" album, featuring classics songs like 'Wild Anthem' and 'Warning Action'. The next release, "Tightrope" showcased a more catchy, melodic sound with an improved vocal perfomance by Eizo. "Bound to Break" was to be the last album featuring Eizo Sakamoto for nearly two decades, and was by far his most impressive vocal performance to that point. The album was full of classics (Empty Eyes, Bound to Break, Soldiers) and introduced the band's long-time world-famous Producer, Chris Tsangarides (Perhaps best known for producing Judas Priest's classic 1990 album, 'Painkiller'). With the departure of Eizo in 1988, Naoto recruited Yukio Morikawa to the band's vocal position.

With Yukio came the album Gypsy Ways, considered the band's most enduringly popular album. the voice of Yukio made the band a great success at that time, and he was similar in style, vocal range and ability to Graham Bonnet. In 1989, the album "Hunting Time" was released, in which the song "The Juggler" was used as a PV. In the beginning of 90's Anthem dealt with another departure, this time Hiroya Fukuda (guitar) left and was replaced by Hideaki 'Shadow Walker' Nakama which recorded the album "No Smoke Without Fire", this time without the band's staple Producer / Engineer Tsangarides. Hideaki left the band after recording just the one album and the search for a new guitarist began. After many auditions the young Akio Shimizu joined the band. In 1992, the band release "Domestic Booty", one of their best albums, with amazing and technical songs (courtesy of Akio): Venom Strike, Renegade, and The Dice of No Mercy. Unfortunately, classic-style Heavy Metal was out of fashion in the early 90's, and with the explosion of Grunge in the U.S. and the Visual Kei movement in Japanese music, Naoto decided to put an end to the band. The members of Anthem followed the album's release with a very big tour covering many cities of Japan and finally they released the VHS/CD "Last Anthem - Live" recorded at Nissin Power Station, which was to be the band's last show for nearly eight years.

After the long hiatus, Anthem returned in 2000, with the album "Heavy Metal Anthem" which featured the vocalist Graham Bonnet (from Rainbow), the album is entirely composed by classic band songs rearranged to English. The lineup on HMA was: Graham Bonnet (vocals), Naoto Shibata (bass), Akio Shimizu (guitar) and Takamasa Oouchi (drums).

Later, Hirotsugu Homma (who played together briefly with Shibata in Loudness) replaced Takamasa on the drums and Eizo returned to the vocals. In 2001 they released Seven Hills, showcasing an entirely new musical direction for the band, although still firmly rooted in 80's Heavy Metal. In 2002 came "Overload", which is considered by most critics to be much more agressive than Seven Hills. In 2003 the band recorded "Live Melt Down" in Citta Club Kawazaki, with a setlist full of classics and an amazing perfomance by Eizo. 2004 the band release the single "Onslaught" followed by the album "Eternal Warrior" following the sound direction of Overload. In 2005, Anthem celebrates the 20th Year Anniversary with a amazing tour where all the member of the band since 1985 played the band songs in their respective formations. At the final show of this tour was filmed the DVD "20th Anniversary Tour" (again at Club Citta in Kawazaki).

In 2006 Anthem released "Immortal", followed by the single and PV of "Immortal Bind". The most recent output has seen Anthem push even further into the Power Metal-tinged style showcased on 'Domestic Booty' and 'Eternal Warrior' with 2008's "Black Empire". A PV of 'Heat of the Night' was released shortly after the album hit in November, '08 and has thus far garnered even more positive critical reviews than "Immortal".

Current Members:

Vocals - Eizo Sakamoto (坂本英三)

Electric guitar - Akio Shimizu (清水 昭男)

Bass guitar - Naoto Shibata (柴田 直人)

Drums - Hirotsugu Homma (本間 大嗣)

Discography:

1985 - Anthem

1985 - Ready to Ride

1986 - Tightrope

1987 - Bound to Break

1988 - Gypsy Ways

1989 - Hunting Time

1990 - No Smoke Without Fire

1992 - Domestic Booty

2000 - Heavy Metal Anthem

2001 - Seven Hills

2002 - Overload

2004 - Eternal Warrior

2006 - Immortal

2008 - Black Empire

2011 - Heraldic Device

Thread would have been probably earlier made by Ronluna or Number Girl. Anyway, they're really one of my most favourite Japanese metal bands all the time. I love all of their albums, being a fan of them already one year :D Post your thoughts about the band.

dont worry, no artist threads about ANTHEM after searching.

i became a fan when i first tried Road to Nowhere, after Number Girl posted her admiration about this band. after that, i watched all their 8 pvs and their 20th anniversary dvd. my favorite songs from this band are INSOMNIA, ONSLAUGHT, HUNTING TIME, THE SIGN, LOVE ON THE EDGE and IMMORTAL BIND. my most liked albums are ETERNAL WARRIOR, HERALDIC DEVICE and BOUND TO BREAK. there is no song from this band that i don't like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMzLqd_tnoM

their latest PV from the album HERALDIC DEVICE called the SIGN.
you can see all their pvs from 2001-present here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/VictorRocksCH

Bonus:

Eizo Sakamoto facebook
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 893&ref=ts
Hiroya Fukuda facebook, Hiroya choir fanpage
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Hiroya1128">http://www.facebook.com/Hiroya1128{C} {C}http://www.facebook.com/madohuchi{C} {C}

My most favourite albums are Domestic Booty, Immortal, No Smoke Without Fire and Tightrope. I think the same as you, that Anthem never released any album that I don't like :) Especially their newest one is a total masterpiece.

Eizo is one of my favourite singers. However, the era with Yukio Morikawa (1988-1992) was definetly great as well. Also, the Heavy Metal Anthem CD (2000) with Graham Bonnet is very interesting too.

Anthem are indeed awesome. I need to get more of their older material, especially Yukio's songs even though like most people I prefer Eizo. I have all of their post-reunion material. If I had to pick any favorites: Tightrope, Immortal, and Overload are my favorites. If compilations count, Very Best of Anthem is also pretty sweet - has the best of their 80's songs. I agree they never fail to pull off a great album. Heraldic Device was great, although I think it could have done without the keyboards.

Naoto Shibata is also one of my favorite bassists and song writers in the world. Eizo also has a great solo project (not Eizo Japan) although those songs are more pop style than metal.

Wow, I really need to check out more of their material. First album I heard by them was Black Empire. They really impressed me with the first listen I gave them. Naturally I agree with the consensus that they are awesome.

Wow, I really need to check out more of their material. First album I heard by them was Black Empire. They really impressed me with the first listen I gave them. Naturally I agree with the consensus that they are awesome.

If you're interested, definetly give a shot to Immortal, Domestic Booty, Tightrope and Bound to Break, thank me later :) But anyway, all of thier albums are great.

Just for lawlz, here is the new official Anthem Twitter and most recent blog site:

http://www.anthem2011.com/

@anthem_official

I kinda wish they would create ONE blog and regularly update it as usual, but for every tour they have to make a brand new blog and after it is over they shut it down completely. -___-

After their reunion, it's being a long time known that they gonna rock more and more!

Preview looks perfect as hell. Looks like ordering "burning Oath" will be a must :)

Apr.15.2012

*アンセムファンの皆様へ

故障や怪我の為これまでにも何度か休養、調整期間をいただき、

その都度、より早い復帰を目指してコンディション作りやフォームの改良等、

試行錯誤しながらやってきましたが、残念ながら今の状態では

アンセムのドラマーとして、どうしても納得のいくプレイに至りません。

メンバー、スタッフとの話し合いの結果、このタイミングではありますが、

思いきって一度バンド活動を休み、徹底的に身体のコンディションを見直す為に

時間を使う事を決心しました。

ファンの皆様、メンバー、スタッフにはご心配おかけして本当に申し訳ありませんが、

必ずベストコンディションで復帰し、再びみなさんにお会いします。

待っていてください!

本間 大嗣

【アンセムからの大切なお知らせ】

年頭より、ニュー・アルバム制作の為、スタジオに入って曲作りを続けてきましたが、

メンバー、スタッフでの話し合いの結果、本間大嗣には一定期間の休養と身体のメンテナンス

及びオーバーホールが不可欠だと判断し、レコーディングを少し延期することになりました。

今後のバンド活動に関しては、本間大嗣を含めスタッフと綿密な話し合いを行った結果、

しばらくはサポートドラマーを起用しバンドの歩みを止めず前進しながら、

プロフェッショナルなミュージシャンとして様々な局面を乗り越えてきた本間大嗣の復帰を待つ事になりました。

NEW ALBUMの制作はドラマーに田丸勇を迎え、5月初旬より再開します。

よりクオリティの高いアルバムを作るための準備として、レコーディングの開始を少し遅らせますが、

今年の秋のリリースを目指して予定通り皆さんにNEW ALBUMをお届けしたいと考えています。

5月26日に行なわれるフィンランド フェスティバルはゲストに星山哲也を迎えて行います。

7月に行なわれるライブ・ツアー〝BATTLE OVERTURE〟は、田丸勇を起用して行います。

今回の本間大嗣の休養はメンバー全員、スタッフ一同にとって、とても大きな決断でした。

しかし将来を見据えあらゆる角度から考えた時、ベストな選択だと確信しています。

本間大嗣の復帰時期について、現時点ではまだ明確にお知らせする事はできませんが、

今後もメンバー、スタッフ共に常に彼とコミュニケーションをとりながら復帰をサポートしていくつもりでいます。

アンセムを支えてくださるファンの皆様方にはご心配をおかけして誠に申し訳ございませんが、

本間大嗣休養の間、一致団結して進んで行きたいと思います。

-アンセム-

Apr.15.2012

To all fans of ANTHEM

Rest several times in the past because of failure or injury, received the adjustment period,

In each case, the condition and improvement of form making and aims to return earlier,

I've been doing through trial and error, unfortunately now in a state of

Anthem as drummer, I do not come to play absolutely convincing.

As a result of the discussion, members of the staff, there is at this time,

In order to break a band once boldly, thoroughly review the condition of the body

I decided to use the time.

Sorry for the inconvenience really worried about everyone of the fans, members, the staff,

Be sure to return in the best condition, I will meet you again.

Please wait!

Hirotsugu Homma

[important Notice] from Anthem

From the beginning of the year, production for the new album, but has continued to make songs in the studio,

As a result of the discussion, members of the staff, to the maintenance of body Hirotsugu Homma large period of time and the rest of

I was to be determined and overhaul is essential to postpone a little recording.

Band about the activities of the future, as a result of in-depth discussions with the staff, including Hirotsugu Homma,

Forward without stopping for a while while the history of the band featuring drummer support,

I was going to wait for the return of large 嗣 Honma has overcome the various aspects as a professional musician.

Welcome to drummer Isamu Tamaru, production of NEW ALBUM is we resume in early May.

In preparation for making higher quality album, I have a little delay the start of the recording,

I believe you want to deliver the NEW ALBUM on as planned targeted for release in the fall of this year.

Finland festival to be held on May 26, is performed by Tetsuya Hoshiyama to greet guests.

Live Tour "BATTLE OVERTURE" to be held in July, we hired Isamu Tamaru done.

All the members, rest of the staff, Hirotsugu Homma was a very big decision.

I'm sure when you think of all aspects of the future, but that it is the best choice.

The timing of return Homma, but can not be announced yet clear at the moment,

I'm with the intention to continue to support the return to communicate with him and always members, both staff in the future.

Indeed I am sorry to worry in how to apologize to everyone of the fans, please support ANTHEM,

I think between the Homma, I want go to unity.

-Anthem-

Source: Hirotsugu Homma official site http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~hirohomma/information.html

Sign in to follow this