Sign in to follow this  
Ito

Kaki King

Kaki+King++in+Brum.jpg

Genres: acoustic, folk rock, instrumental, rock

Katherine Elizabeth King (born August 24, 1979 in Atlanta, Georgia), known by her stage name Kaki King, is an American musician and composer. King is known for her percussive and jazz-tinged melodies, energetic live shows, unique use of multiple tunings on both acoustic and lap steel guitar, and her diverse range in different genres.

In February 2006, Rolling Stone released a list of “The New Guitar Gods”, with King as the sole woman and youngest artist honored. In addition to a 10-year career that includes five LP and two EP albums, King has also spent significant time scoring music for television and film.

It is a cloudy and cold autumn day, it feel like a perfect day to listen to some of her music. If you haven't listened to any of her music yet, I really recommend checking out "Dreaming of Revenge," it's a fairly diverse album and kinda show all the different style that she does. But more than anything, it shows what I love about some her songs, just the floaty and airy feeling the give. I wouldn't rank her very high as a singer, but her voice really does grow on you and is very pretty in its own way...but more than anything, it's her instrumentals that I love...just getting lost in the images the sounds she creates gives.

I've seen her once live at a small venue in Madison, it was really awesome, she kicks just as much ass live as she does on album. Lots of credit should go to her EVI player, Dan Brantigan, who adds a lot to the live feeling...it really is cool to see some of the sounds being created out of what is essentially an electronic trumpet.

I really, really dig her first album. Legs To Make Us Longer is also pretty solid, but after that I kind of find a lot of her stuff to be a bit boring. Her playing is still solid, but musically it doesn't interest me as much. Everybody Loves You is one of my favorite albums though.

I can understand why you find some of her music boring...some of is kind of sleep inducing, but that is half of what I like about it xD

Sign in to follow this