Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Dazzle Vision - KIRARI

This was a definite improvement for me over the last album heard from them (Crystal Children). Besides the longer song count and disc duration, Maiko’s doing much more screaming. The album itself does a good job at showcasing the bands expanding sound and direction. There’s a few songs that have their typical heavy sound like Reason and Like I’m Not Real, but even those have elements of their better polished sound. Cooler riffs, better composition and the inclusion of guitar solos. In fact there’s quite a few songs that contain guitar solos. They’re pulled off fairly well and get the job done, and overall the guitar work has improved. I particularly enjoyed the guitar outro to 12月 And the intro to 月??太陽. A really unexpected song they did was Miss Cinderella 2. It has a real funky feel, organ like synth's and a throbbing bass line. It’s easily one of my favorite tracks.

Overall this must be the best work they have done so far and it’s my favorite albums of theirs now. I haven’t listened to a lot of J-rock albums for this year so far, but this is one I actually liked and will probably end up replaying rather than just listening to it once and then forgetting about it. Now if only the album had better sound production.

キラリ - 8.5/10 A balladish like song that grows rockier and has maiko's screaming at the bridge followed by a guitar solo and a ringing guitar outro.

REASON - 7.5 Starts out like your typical heavy song, but after the chorus it's toned down to a more rock feel.

Like I'm not real - 8/10 This is actually a lot harder than the previous track. It's done better and more interesting with a good breakdown, chorus, and a airy acoustic guitar at the bridge.

??ラ??ラ雨 - 8/10 It's got the feel of a ballad but without the length. There's a rippling guitar melody played through most of the song, and at times when the heavy guitar chords come in during the chorus.

- 7. 5 I don't really consider this a full song but more of a transitional piece. It's fast electronic beats played over different strings sections and maiko's child like speaking.

Miss Cinderella 2 - 9/10 Strangest song they've done sonically. Sounds really jazzy at times.

One for all, All for one - 8/10 And it's back to the heaviness. The songs starts off fast paced with industrial like drum beats, heavy guitar and bass riffs, and a metallic twangy sounding legato that gives the song a much more darker feel. The verses are mostly maiko screaming and the pre chorus is a call and response between maiko's muffled projecting vocals and a sometimes present cheering crowd. The chorus itself fits well and even appears hopeful compared to the darker feel of the song.

12月 - 8/10 There's a nice sounding guitar riff with maiko's vocals at the start which than both switch into heaviness and screaming. The chorus, the subtle string section at the slowed down bridge, the screams placed after the bridge and the guitar outro save this song from just being your typical straight out heavy song.

ゼロ - 8.5/10 The intro to this song utilizes a bit of a jazzy feel. It has a bit of mellow verse that gradually grows and transitions into a big sounding chorus followed by a jazzy rock post-chorus. Near the end, the song actually speeds up and after another jazzy sounding post-chorus, it ends with a short but awesome metal breakdown.

CONTINUE 8/10 This is a lot better than ∞. It's got the actually band playing their instruments and maiko singing. There's a nice guitar melody, harmonics and the song is very atmospheric before fading out. It's a good transition into the next song.

月??太陽 - 9/10 I really liked the main guitar riff here, the songs flowing pace and maiko's carrying and near ethereal vocals. Another of my favorite tracks.

- 8/10 I guess this would be the actually ballad of the album. It's done pretty well and includes some sparse use of piano. It's a decent way to end the album.

Sign in to follow this