Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

In Flames

In-Flames2.jpg

In Flames is a Swedish melodic death metal band from Gothenburg, formed in 1990. Since the band's inception in 1993, they have released nine studio albums and one live DVD. As of 2008, In Flames has sold over 2.5 million records worldwide

Anders Friden - Vocals

Björn Gelotte - Guitars

Peter Iwers - Bass

Daniel Svensson - Drums

Niclas Engelin - Guitars

In Flames, along with Dark Tranquillity and At the Gates, pioneered what is now known as melodic death metal. The founding members of all three bands all lived in Gothenburg, Sweden and they were all friends who shared the same musical interests. Eventually, that group of friends branched off into three bands with the same musical direction, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and At the Gates.

Jesper Strömblad formed In Flames to write music that combined the melodic guitar style of Iron Maiden with the brutality of death metal, something which Jesper stated he had never heard any band do. In writing songs, Jesper also decided to make use of keyboards, something which was (at the time) uncommon in death metal. Ever since In Flames' debut studio album, Lunar Strain, the band has made use of keyboards.

In Flames, being one of the pioneers of a new music genre, have influenced many bands and most notably they were a direct influence on the new wave of metalcore. Many metalcore bands such as Trivium, Darkest Hour, Slowlife, As I Lay Dying, and Still Remains name In Flames as one of their biggest influences. In Flames is also a direct influence on many of the melodic death metal bands that have followed. Melodic death metal bands such as Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, and Blood Stain Child also include In Flames as one of their biggest influences.

In Flames - Moonshield

CffJeVSAJk8

Been following these guys for awhile and through all the changes in members/musical directions, The Jester Race is my favorite albums of theirs.

Overall I'd call them a shitty band, but Lunar Strain are amazing and Subterranean are good. But I wonder what it is with Melodic Death Metal bands that suddenly goes Alternative Metal/Rock.

Overall I'd call them a shitty band, but Lunar Strain are amazing and Subterranean are good. But I wonder what it is with Melodic Death Metal bands that suddenly goes Alternative Metal/Rock.

Yes Lunar Strain and Subterranean are amazing releases.

I also like The Jester Race.

I like a handful of songs from their other releases but Lunar Strain and Subterranean I can always go back to.

I never thought we'd agree on something. High five!

I love their early work and though I don't have as much disdain as you do for their releases afterward( since I actually like some of it), it also makes me wonder why the hell melodic death metal bands all of sudden go Alternative metal/rock.

I know.

In Flames started to leave the Melodic Death Metal behind already with Colony. With Reroute to Remain there were no Death Metal left in their sound at all.

Soilwork started to leave it behind already with Natural Born Chaos, even though you can still hear some Death Metal in a few places. But when Figure Number Five came there was no Death Metal left in their sound.

Amoral had this Melodic/Technical Death Metal thing going on for 7 years, then suddenly with Show Your Colors they played Power Metal.

Blood Stain Child was a Melodic Death Metal once, then left it all behind and got a more Electronic Alternative Metal sound.

And way more. However, I can understand that bands that play this kind of Melodic Death Metal gets bored of it. But I still think it is a ltitle weird that many suddenly leave it behind just like that, even though some (Like In Flames) left it over a few albums.

But I am way more interested in Melodic Death Metal bands that focus a lot more on the Death Metal part, without leaving out the melodic stuff as well. At the Gates, Dissection, Dismember, Vehemence and so on.

I'm just speculating but it could be possibly because money is involved as well? Gotta sell those records y'know!! Did In Flames have a label or producer change when they started to move away from the Melo Death sound? I had read an interview from a Helloween member (Michael Weikath I think) that after Kai Hansen left, they also had a producer change that really had an influence on the band's style and sound in Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon.

I never thought we'd agree on something. High five!

Y u say dat?

Yeah, I won't be surprised if it is the money. It often is. They were on Wrong Again Records up and until The Jester Race , then they changed to Nuclear Blast. They've left Nuclear Blast for Century Media Records now, as far as I know.

How the fuck do I even know this shit? I don't evne follow the band anymore. O.O'

Not sure, I just had the impression our music taste were like light and day.

Sign in to follow this