Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

The Drums

472.jpg

The Drums are an American indie pop band from Brooklyn, New York, with members stemming from the shortlived band Elkland (formerly Goat Explosion). The band is currently on the Moshi Moshi/Island (UK), Popfrenzy (AU) and Downtown (US) labels.

Jonathan Pierce - vocals

Jacob Graham - guitar

Connor Hanwick - drums

Tom Haslow - guitar(;ive)

The Drums Debut Review.

Rawness is a quality often ascribed to aggressive music, but it applies just as well to the untutoured innocence of I Need Fun In My Life and Skippin’ Town. More often than not, Pierce sounds like a man seeking to understand brand new emotions by the expedient of songwriting.

In The 10 Rules of Rock’n’Roll, his newly published anthology of essays, the Go-Betweens’ Robert Forster manages to alight on the precise appeal of the Velvet Underground. “Before the Velvets,?? he wrote, “almost every band I knew were more proficient on their instruments than they were at songwriting. The Velvet Underground changed this.??

A similar quality sits squarely at the centre of lo-fi highlights such as Book of Stories and We Tried. On the latter, Pierce might be “walking alone tonight/wishing you were still here??, but the Muppet-like harmonies and handclaps conspire to create a peculiarly childlike world-weariness. Pierce might be disingenuous, though, when he says that sadness is the foundation of all the songs he writes. After all, only the funereal bubblegum noir of Down by the Water proceeds at less than a foal-like bound.

The Drums - Forever And Ever, Amen.

This band was one of the best discovery's I made last year. They're just hella fun and catchy. I.E - Let's Go Surfing. They've got the whole indie pop thing perfected. If you aren't listening to them, you should be.

I love their album stuff but when I saw them last summer live I was heavily dissapointed. There wasnt any real live atmosphere as I wouldve thought of the songs I knpw of them

LOVE this band. My favourite song is "Forever and Ever Amen". Their sound reminded me a lot of The Cure at first.

Going to see them live in a couple of months, hope I'm not disappointed.

Forever and Ever Amen is also one of my Fav songs, along with It will All end Tears, Down By The water, Let's Go Surfing, and Me And Moon. I'm actually going to try and see them live too. Somehow, I' think they'd be really awesome at performing small intimate venues rather than big arena's.

Sign in to follow this