Sign in to follow this  
Erin

Metric

I'm so lazy to make a description right now. But I'll make a simple one.

This is Metric

metric-tonight.jpg

They're a canadian indie rock band. They've been around for ages. Of course, that means the late 90's. They were originally just Emily Haines (Blond chick) and James Shaw (short haired white guy next to her). They lived in a lobby in New York, and shared the place with some other musicians, now in bands like Yeah yeah yeahs and Broken Social Scene (Shaw is a member too). Soon, basist Joshua Winstead and drummer Jules Scott-key joined to make what it's currently known as Metric, though their previous name was 'Mainstream'. They were barely teenagers when they started, but they recorded a non-released album 'Grow up & Blow Away'. They played those song in gigs and festivals, but never released it in the end because 'it didn't feel like the kind of music they wanted to make anymore'. So in 2003, they released 'Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?'. And so their career 'oficially' started. You can tell they like to change their sound through every record you listen. It's indie rock all the way down, but with different tunes in it. But it's a really cool change. They're now worldwide known for making Eclipse's title song 'Eclipse (I'm yours)'. Can't realy say if they're indie anymore. But hey, they are awesome. They deserveto be known worldwide. Anyway, this is my favourite non-japanese band. Try them out.

I'll put some of their songs (from different records, chronological order) and let me know what you think:

sKzep5xKDl8

From Mainstream EP. Their very first pieces of work.

VsGB9w7ctD4

From the firstly non-released record (later released in 2007, not remastered) Grow Up & Blow Away

cEsr5Mm3JfE

Their most widely known song before Eclipse. Dead disco babe. From Old World Underground

KgFMFkl-Du8

From Live it Out.

4v04Ukn5Huk

Live it Out from... well, you know.

LqldwoDXHKg

Gimme Sympathy, from their latest record 'Fantasies'.

LRnulrnIYgY

And I had to add my favourite. Collect Call, also from Fantasies.

So, The Beatles or the Rolling Stones?

Is it sad that I only know Metric because of the film, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World?

(They provided the song "black sheep" that the movie band "The Clash at Demonhead" sings)

DGB4VDQI6XM

I'll have to check out these other songs though. Thanks erin!

Black sheep was going to be in Fantasies, but it didn't make it to the final cut. You can see why now.

LOVE this band. Seen them live once. Fantasies is my favourite album.

I think they are recording a new album for release this year?

They are, indeed. Through lives they've said they're creating new material. So probably arounf July or August will have a new wonderful album. And I envy you for being in their live :(

They've been one of my favorite bands for 5 years now. I absolutely love "Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?" It's my favorite album by them. But then again, everything they've done is pure fucking gold. I can't wait until their new release!

Sign in to follow this