Champ213

[Hungary] Thy Catafalque

Thy+Catafalque+tc2kicsi.jpg

Thy Catafalque were born in 1998 in a small town of Hungary playing traditional, epic black metal in the beginning by tamás kátai (Gire) and János Juhász. [...] Throughout the passing years the music became more and more experimental with deep touches of electronic and folklorish influences feeding from their homeland in Central Europe. [...] By this time lyrics turned to Hungarian and music turned out to be the most diverse and colourful experimentum coming out from the band.

Members:

tamás kátai - vocals, keyboards, guitar bass, programming

János Juhász - guitar, bass

MySpace | OHP

CVVfuGuolD0

Fd7qV_RVcY0

Any fans here?

They are often labeled "avantgarde black metal", which may be slightly misleading for the newer material, at least if your expectaions lie more on the "black metal" side. Either way, they are really underappreciated and I think more people should listen to them.

:3

I love them. ?? I found them by mistake a couple of years ago and was hooked from the get go. They deserve a lot more attention! Róka Hasa Rádió has to be my favourite release, though, and the two lengthy opening tracks are just mind-blowing imo.

It's gorgeous (the beginning of it especially) . I'm so picky about long songs but theirs I can never get bored of. I'm surprised they don't have more fans because of the diversity in genre actually. I think there's only... four of us on TW?

Yay, a Hungarian thread! xD Didn't know they were known that much outside Hungary (or even inside for that matter). I have two of their albums, Róka Hasa Rádió and Tűnő Idő Tárlat. They're pretty amazing, Tamás Kátai is a wonderful musician and songwriter! I'm not really fan, just a casual listener of them though.

If you like Thy Catafalque, and looking for something cool but more raw, I recommend his earlier/other band, Gire (Tamás only does the synth and programming work in this band):

UvGRXRW7OtA

(If anyone wants, I can upload all of Gire's stuff. I don't own them personally though, only mp3 rips.)

^ That makes three, even if only a casual listener. XD (I wonder who's the forth?)

And yeah, I've been meaning to check out the other projects, but I never got around to it. I like what heard from the Gire youtube vid, so I searched a bit and found a demo and their self-titled album, which should give me some stuff to check out. But if I ever need more I know who to bother for it. :lol:

^ Cool, glad you like them! In my opinion the self-titled is a really good representative of their best stuff. I think there's only like a handful of songs on their demos that isn't re-recorded on the album, so you're not missing much as it is. :lol:

I listened to Gire's self-titled album now, I liked it a lot. I do like Thy Catafalque a bit more, the atmosphere seems more... intense overall, but this was a nice addition, thanks! :D

Yeah, I feel the same about them. Gire is good too, but Thy Catafalque are just on a whole other level.

Tamás also has a solo project (one album maybe?) but I'm not that into it...

YzrjNjJk4Fk

(if you go to youtube, there are other songs too at the right side)

Yeah, Tamás Kátai also has a solo project, under his name. The album's title is Erika Szobája, which can be translated as Erika's Room. I think the album was free to download, but still, here you can download it. (Link.)

Maybe it is my favourite album from Tamás along with Róka Hasa Rádió from Thy Catafalque. It's just beautiful, and Tamás is also takes the lyricism in hungarian music to a whole new level. 'Esőben Szaladtál' (You Were Running In The Rain) is the best track from it, I think. Glad that Tamás is known in here, too.

Also, Tamás has another project, called Darklight.

Yeah, I read it on their FB today. That's cool, I don't have any of their albums yet, and whenever I saw Róka Hasa Rádió for sale on eBay etc it was pretty expensive.

Sadly the re-release doesn't seem to be a digipack.

The new 60-minute Thy Catafalque album called Rengeteg will be released on November 11 in Europe, and on January 10 in the US through the Season of Mist label. Here's the cover and the tracklist:

tumblr_lr5o5hATrm1qipzv0o1_500.jpg

01. Fekete mezők (Black fields)

02. Kel keleti szél (Eastern wind blows)

03. Trilobita (Trilobite)

04. Kő koppan (Stone knocks/makes a sound)

05. Vashegyek (Iron mountains)

06. Holdkomp (Moon ferry)

07. Kék ingem lobogó (My blue shirt is a banner)

08. Az eső, az eső, az eső (The rain, the rain, the rain)

09. Tar gallyak végül (Bald twigs finally)

10. Minden test fű (Every/each body is grass)

I provided a translation of the titles in brackets. :) By the way the album title Rengeteg can either mean "lot of/a huge amount of" something, or it can be translated as "thick forest" in a more archaic sense.

Can't wait!! ^^

Also, according to a hungarian article, Kátai Tamás plays every instrumental part on the album, and Bakos Attila (from Woodland Choir, Taranis), and Tóth Ágnes (from The Moon And The Nightspirit) and Simkó-Várnagy Mihály (who is the (solo)cellist of the Dohány Ernő Symphonic Orchestra) appears on the album as guest musicians/vocalists.