Mamo

Good MP3 Tag Editor?

So I've been putting this off for awhile but I think it's about time to start cleaning up my mp3 tags(i.e. song titles, album titles, etc.) However,I know little about the software or methods to do this. lol noob! But anyway I've always just used the default tag editor that comes on windows computers.

This one

3_zpspraqkamq.jpg

But for some reason some times even when the tags are edited and tagged correctly it still appears with the original incorrect tags in my windows media player. So my question here really is what is a good and/or the best mp3 tag editor? 

Edited by sume7

The best that I've found is Mp3tag. It's free and extremely thorough.

---

To put it simply, there are multiple "versions" of tags. When you change tags via Windows Explorer, it only changes tags in one "version," so incorrect tags may be left behind in the other tag "versions." So even though the tags look correct in Windows Explorer, there can still be incorrect information on the file, which your media player will still pick up.

And many programs also add their own tags, which can be hidden from Windows Explorer.

---

If you download Mp3tag, the first thing you should do is go to Tools > Options > Tags > Mpeg.

Under "Read," check all 3 boxes (ID3v1, ID3v2, APE). Under "Write," uncheck ID3v1 and APEv2. Check ID3v2 and ID3v2.3 UTF-16. Under "Remove," check all 3 boxes.

Then go to Tools > Options > Tags > Ape, Mpc. Under "Read," check both boxes. Under "Write," uncheck both boxes. Under "Remove," check all 3 boxes.

Basically, this means that it will show the tags from all possible tag "versions," but will only add new tags in the correct version.

---

So after choosing those settings, just drag+drop songs into the program, and you can start editing the files.

If you right click on a song and go to Extended Tags, it will show you all the tags on that particular song, and you can see how crazy they are! From that window, you can change any tag or remove it.

Where it displays information about the song, there should be a column called "Tag," and that shows the tag versions that are on the file. If you see more than one version listed there, you can right click on the file, select Tag Cut, and it should remove all tags from the file. Then you can do Tag Paste, and it will paste the tags back in--but because of the settings you chose earlier, it will only put the tags in the correct version, so you should have less trouble in your media player.

---

There's tons of stuff you can do in the program. Let me know if you need help♪

@inartistic Thanks so much for this and providing a guide as well. If I could give your post 1,000,000 likes I would:grin: And also thank you for offering to help if I need further assistance as well, which I may btw. Mods probably  could sticky this with your post at the top, but idk. Anyway thanks again.

42 minutes ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

^ will this also scrub iTunes data too?

Yes*, it can delete all the iTunes-specific tags that iTunes adds when you rip a CD (eg. "itunes_cddb_ids," "itunmovi," etc.). If you just right click and check out Extended Tags, they'll be there.

* I think iTunes hard-codes your username into any songs purchased from the service. It's not encoded as a tag, so Mp3tag can't remove it (but since it's not a tag, it also isn't recognized by your media player--it's just there for identifying purposes). If you're concerned about privacy, you'll have to find a separate program to strip your username out of the file.

@inartistic I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm only seeing one tag even when I open the extended tags but I'm still getting the same incorrect tag on windows media player. I'll show you what I've done:

Settings: 

ss1_zpsr9aom52v.jpg

And Here are the extended Tags after those settings(With the correct tags):

ss2_zpsgeek1c1y.png

But in windows media player I still see this:

ss3_zpsyh62frcz.png

The track titles are correct but they already were and the artist and album fields are still the same incorrect tags like before. Also I'm not seeing anymore tags in the extended tags to correct. 

Can you please help? lol

Edit: 

Tried a little more and still no luck hopefully you can guide me through this lol

Edited by sume7

2 hours ago, sume7 said:

@inartistic I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm only seeing one tag even when I open the extended tags but I'm still getting the same incorrect tag on windows media player. I'll show you what I've done:

Settings: 

Hide contents

ss1_zpsr9aom52v.jpg

And Here are the extended Tags after those settings(With the correct tags):

Hide contents

ss2_zpsgeek1c1y.png

But in windows media player I still see this:

Hide contents

ss3_zpsyh62frcz.png

The track titles are correct but they already were and the artist and album fields are still the same incorrect tags like before. Also I'm not seeing anymore tags in the extended tags to correct. 

Can you please help? lol

Edit: 

Tried a little more and still no luck hopefully you can guide me through this lol

Can you upload one of the mp3s, so that I can look at the file directly?

^ maybe your custom font can't read japanese so it goes crazy somehow?...

I also use mp3tag and never had any problems with it. Actions are also very useful~

3 hours ago, inartistic said:

Can you upload one of the mp3s, so that I can look at the file directly?

Yeah I'll upload the whole album. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/file/htgt9f2n34tw4oc/S_-_Z.7z 

All the tags appear correct in windows explorer but wrong in windows media player.

@Hakoniwa No it reads kanji I have lots of other japanese music in kanji and it reads it fine.

Edited by sume7

1 hour ago, sume7 said:

Yeah I'll upload the whole album. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/file/htgt9f2n34tw4oc/S_-_Z.7z 

All the tags appear correct in windows explorer but wrong in windows media player.

@Hakoniwa No it reads kanji I have lots of other japanese music in kanji and it reads it fine.

Ok, I downloaded the album and checked it out: you've done everything right and the tags are fine.

I did some research, and apparently it's an issue with Windows Media Player. Even though you change the tags, WMP won't refresh it's database, so the changes you made won't show up. (Or only some changes will show up--for example, I played around with it, and WMP would recognize when I changed the album name, but not when I changed artist name.)

According to what I've read online, WMP will eventually update with the correct tags. I'm trying to find a way to make it update immediately--will get back to you if I find anything out.

---

One thing I did want to mention (tho it's not the cause of WMP showing the incorrect artist):

When looking at those files in Mp3tag, I noticed that, under the "Tag" column, it says "ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3)." This means that the file has both "ID3v1 version" tags and "ID3v2.3 version" tags. You don't want that, because it often causes problems (tho not in this particular case).

So just select those files, and ctrl+x to "Tag Cut," then ctrl+v to "Tag Paste." That will remove the incorrect ID3v1 version tags and leave only ID3v2.3 version.

Edited by inartistic

4 hours ago, Hakoniwa said:

^ maybe your custom font can't read japanese so it goes crazy somehow?...

I also use mp3tag and never had any problems with it. Actions are also very useful~

Alright thanks a lot, and please do let me know if you find a way to make it update immediately. How long does it take WMP to update its database or do you know?